Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,300 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed? World-wide events seem to be escalating by the day.

Everything from events in the Middle East, EU and now the bankruptcy and missing funds of MF Global. Problems with both Syria and Iran are very worrisome as well. I am usually not a paranoid person, but please be prepared. When things really collapse, it will happen in a blink of an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,116 times
Ssdd.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
I tend to agree more with FTA's assessment.
The OMG factor has totally forsaken me. Now I simply have The Plan, and steadily work to achieve it, come what may, to whatever fruition.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Have you noticed? World-wide events seem to be escalating by the day.
I've noticed that it's been like that for at least the past half century.

Quote:
Everything from events in the Middle East, EU and now the bankruptcy and missing funds of MF Global. Problems with both Syria and Iran are very worrisome as well. I am usually not a paranoid person, but please be prepared. When things really collapse, it will happen in a blink of an eye.
I've learned to not let the 24 hr news cycle rule my life.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Yep... all is well. No need for concern.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
I'm going out to put the snowblower on the tractor. SCGranny has the right idea. If anybody is just becoming aware of something called "preparedness" it is too late to build the skills and gather the five G's.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
I have mentioned before that we are headed for a currency collapse. That is what happens when there is so much debt, that the entity in debt (sovereigns, states, banks, individuals, etc) cannot even pay the interest on that debt. That is what we are seeing now. It's happening in Europe, in the Middle East, some of our municipalities, and is the real reason behind the farce called the "Super Committee" being unable to come to an agreement. Taxes and 'austerity' have nothing to do with it; the Powerz know that there is nothing they can do, except borrow a little more time (say, for re-election).

A currency collapse starts with a violent financial/economic upheaval (what we here refer to as TSHTF) followed by either a total monetary collapse (probably not), or a sudden freezing up of all assets within the banking system (e.g. denominated in paper currency) ending with a massive devaluation of all paper-based assets. If someone had $200K in the bank, they'd still have $200K in the bank, BUT it would be inaccessible during the crisis, and its devalued purchasing power afterwards would be perhaps $500.

This is what happens when you keep your funds denominated in a currency that can be manipulated by a central bank. It's called hyperinflation. The currency is forced to "print out" so there will be sufficient funds for the people to transact with. There is no credit, and very little available cash, during such an event. It is during this period when it helps to have food, water, medicines, and other necessities put aside. The crisis portion does not last long, but tends to be VERY unpleasant.

BTW, this is not my personal prediction. I'm not that smart. I follow political and financial web sites which have 'inside sources' (remain anonymous) who are in positions to hear what those on the fast track already know, and are preparing for. They have been right for over a decade now.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Times are accelerating into the future. The earth changes and economic changes like Noreastah said are happening at once. Solar flares are expected to peak in 2013, which could take out the whole grid, which could cause the nuclear power plants to leak radiation if the secondary power supply fails. This would kill out a large chunk of our population if we're not prepared. It doesn't seem the masses are meant to know this. I try to look on the positive side of everything. It helps to be philosophical about hard times. Only thing you can do is try and be ready and smile.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I have mentioned before that we are headed for a currency collapse. That is what happens when there is so much debt, that the entity in debt (sovereigns, states, banks, individuals, etc) cannot even pay the interest on that debt. That is what we are seeing now. It's happening in Europe, in the Middle East, some of our municipalities, and is the real reason behind the farce called the "Super Committee" being unable to come to an agreement. Taxes and 'austerity' have nothing to do with it; the Powerz know that there is nothing they can do, except borrow a little more time (say, for re-election).

A currency collapse starts with a violent financial/economic upheaval (what we here refer to as TSHTF) followed by either a total monetary collapse (probably not), or a sudden freezing up of all assets within the banking system (e.g. denominated in paper currency) ending with a massive devaluation of all paper-based assets. If someone had $200K in the bank, they'd still have $200K in the bank, BUT it would be inaccessible during the crisis, and its devalued purchasing power afterwards would be perhaps $500.

This is what happens when you keep your funds denominated in a currency that can be manipulated by a central bank. It's called hyperinflation. The currency is forced to "print out" so there will be sufficient funds for the people to transact with. There is no credit, and very little available cash, during such an event. It is during this period when it helps to have food, water, medicines, and other necessities put aside. The crisis portion does not last long, but tends to be VERY unpleasant.

BTW, this is not my personal prediction. I'm not that smart. I follow political and financial web sites which have 'inside sources' (remain anonymous) who are in positions to hear what those on the fast track already know, and are preparing for. They have been right for over a decade now.
The above has happened to a lot of countries in South America or even in former Eastern block. Argentina went through several bankruptcies, Brazil had periods of hyper-inflation. So did some countries in Western Europe in recent history.

What I find funny is that folks in this country think that we are somehow immune to any of it. It's like it can't happen to us. I just think, the bigger the machine the longer it takes to break but once it does, oh, boy... . It's quick and evident when Argentina goes down or Spain or Greece. Relatively small economies, quick down and a (relatively) quick up. For us it is decades of lingering slowly and then wham! So, we still have some time to go before it gets ugly. At least that's my opinion, I try not to read or follow "insiders", just common sense (and I have lived through hyper-inflation)

My $.02

OD

Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM

43 posts, read 53,804 times
We have access to a lot of information, from all over the world, and a lot quicker than any previous time in history. Beware of information over-load. Most "news" is bad news. Don't assume that the bad news is the only thing going on. Faithful spouses, law-abiding citizens, honest business leaders, well-behaved children, uncorruptible judges, police officers, civili servants and elected officials aren't "news-worthy." When people do their duty, show good manners, and treat each other fairly, that is not newsworthy. Any day of the week, it's real likely that the majority of your neighbors choose to refrain from criminal activity, choose to pay their bills on time, choose to pay their taxes and generally choose to do the right thing -- this doesn't make the news but it does make for a civlized society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness