Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times

Advertisements

Is "the end" finally noticeable enough to get media attention?????

Subculture of Americans prepares for civilization's collapse | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Pretty accurate read..Thanks for posting.....

Old 01-22-2012, 01:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Pretty accurate read..Thanks for posting.....
Accurate? The comment section yes, the article and obvious attempt to smear Preppers as a subculture similar to hippies of the 1960's no, not accurate at all. YMMV

Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,299 times
I calculate roughly a million American preppers and maybe another million Americans who are practically self-sufficient. That would still be less than 1% of America. Then there are closet preppers who noone knows about and financial preppers who are saving every penny because they see the maniacs in washington. Youngsters are figuring out that college is a scam to own your ass and keep you working for the system the rest of your life. Compared to 3 or 4 years ago I see a big increase in awareness. The same college croud that felt good about Obama are now the ones in Occupy movement.

The large banks and corporations who influence the media want people to keep faith. They want people's money tied into stocks and bank accounts or in any kind of debt at all like a house or car. Meantime money is worth less and we're having more natural disasters and wars. I see us approaching the tipping point. Ron Paul's campaign is doing a great job spreading this awareness and I want to see him stay in the campaign even if he continues to get sidelined by the media because people are watching and connecting dots.

National media is slick. They cover the inevitable so they can say they covered it. Or they invite aware people to talk, then they try to make fools of them. They will agree with everything that's true, then at the end, spin it and say everythings fine. Let's be "hopeful". Hopeful does nothing. Preparing, sticking with likeminded people and voting with your dollars does.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
Cool, I'm a subculture! LOL

When gas goes up to $6.00 a gallon this summer, and so does milk, CNN will still be insisting that Ron Paul and those zany nutty preppers are simply a sideshow. HLN will still be selling their darling Robin Meade's CDs about "We Love Our Veterans!" to a simple-minded and gullible public. Our kids will still be fighting and dying in Afghanistan, and go into Iran to spread still more democracy, while Blackwater collects another three billion dollars for their 'help'. And some celebrity-or-other will still be the lead story in a genre that cannot, does not want to, face the facts that more and more people are living in tents or their cars, homeless and foodless, transient and begging for jobs. This is going to be the most non-existent economic calamity in history - because the media isn't going to tell anyone about it.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
I'd be happier if everyone practiced a little OP SEC and didn't let the media types even know that there were "preppers" out here....

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM

27 posts, read 45,156 times
I think regardless of the blatant smear attempt by Reuters, it's still a positive thing that millions of people who may otherwise have never read or considered the possibility of life as they know it being disrupted have now been exposed to a growing movement towards responsibility and practicality in the shape of being prepared for the unexpected.

If more people learned practical off-line skills, and knew the many benefits of storing food long term for any type of disruption, we'd all be better off and the aggregate odds of survival would increase.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
My dear old mother, God rest her soul, used to say the end of the world must be very near. I used to tell her, it's probably not the end of the world but it could very well be the end of our nation.

The truth about the economy will never come from the American media. That's like expecting a realtor to tell a buyer it's not a good time to buy, or a seller it's not a good time to sell. In America where it used to be wise to follow the flow of the dollar in any discussion of economics, it has gotten more difficult because, as of late, that flow has become a trickle.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Cool, I'm a subculture! LOL
Yeah... I've never been part of a subculture. Cool!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
This comment made me laugh.
Good bumper sticker material: "Honk if you are a survivalist and have at least 3 preppers marked on your topographic map."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness