Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Here's where you buy the best storable food for the best price: Go to your local supermarket and walk down the canned food aisle. With a small amount of planning, you can figure out how to get a diet that you will eat and enjoy. You can get just about everything. You can get fruit, veggies, meat, milk, pizza sauce, all in cans or jars.

You take that food home and write the date on it. It goes into your pantry and you use that food day to day. Each time you use a can or a jar, you write it on your shopping list and you go back to the store and replace it. Newest food goes to the back of the shelf and when you use a can, you use the one with the oldest date.

Buy what you use and use what you buy. You get food you like and know how to cook and by rotating it, it is as fresh as possible.

Do the same with grains. Buy in bulk, use rodent proof containers, use it for your regular cooking, replace what you use.

When you are starting, you might only get a month's worth of everything. Gradually, as money allows, you build up the amount you have stored. This is not a costly way to store food, because what you spend is also covering a part of your daily grocery bill.

Folks who are serious homesteaders learn to home can so that they can can their own home grown meat, fruit, and vegetables. People can fresh meat when they get a super sale price. Home canned anything is good for a couple of years.

If you need bug-out food, learn to make granola bars, dried fruit, and jerky, so those items will be fresh and not years stale when you leave home.

This ^^^ what oregonwoodsmoke wrote, but stored CORRECTLY....or, it's all for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
re: Eating in a SHTF scenario—

Begin now to know how to be vegetarian. We will not be carting cows and bulls around with us as nomads. Depending on animal protein NOt a good idea. The best writer is Frances Moore Lappé in her 1970s classic Diet for a Small Planet. Not sure it's still in print.

Learn the basics of food combining for complete protein. Like grain + beans or grain + nuts = complete protein.

My emergency foods consist of bags of brown rice, millet, and quinoa (the latter a complete protein, looks like a grain but isn't one), and roasted kasha (buckwheat, a fabulous protein rich food that cooks up very quickly especially when ground up for cooked cereal). Plus a variety of dried beans (red, brown, white) and canned beans. Also, bags of flax seed and nuts that you can vacuum seal as well as the grains.

The only thing I will do dried is blueberries, apples, and other fruit and dried cheese. I also have on hand dried seaweeds for making soup stocks, and stock bullion cubes. Seaweeds (dulse, etc) can be roasted over a fire and eaten as a highly nutritious snack, full of iron and other minerals. They can be soaked and put into soup.

Even if you can't get fresh veg's or fruit, with proper food combining the items I just mentioned will do you just fine. You can do without dairy, won't kill you. And you can do without meat. Get that book or one like it.

I have both a wood stove to cook on and a Volcano stove if I have to vacate (will take it with me) - uses wood or coal.

you might not be eating beef or venison, but I sure as heck on doing both where I now live if tshtf ever happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness