Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times

Advertisements

^^^I agree with SCGranny.
1800s or even pre-1800s... we will not have many things we have maybe even then.
Maybe even the way to spun cloth is a waste of time, only crude clothing construction...

Go back to "animal basics" where one can learn alot from even our pets... what do we need the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Insults? ???

I explained that my post was directed primarily towards people who are planning on being mobile - not specifically to you - and to make them think about things that they may not have considered.

Your defensiveness does not mean that others, who hold different viewpoints and explain them, are automatically insulting you.
It is regrettable that you conflated my comments addressed to your snarky comments and Ode, who made repeated personal insults. I understand your defensiveness and would just urge you to relax. I am not angry.

I am very confident about my plans. There is not the smallest bit of concern on my part that I will not be the best prepared person in my demographic for a short term SHTF scenario. I am happy to have spent the many tens of thousands of dollars which I have spent on interesting equipment, arms, supplies and training whether a meaningful FHTF event ever occurs or not.

But, I would not have wanted to spend my time and resources learning 1830's survival skills and therefore living in an environment where those skills could be put to use today. I don't have a place for a well, a wood stove, or a campfire, or cows, or a vegetable garden or a loom. I am happy for you to have lived there and done so, but I like the A/C on max cold, the pool heated to 85 F. and lots of carryout food from the local gourmet restaurants here in a zipcode with 62 good eateries within walking distance. If I wanted to live out in east boofoo, I would certainly be proud to be your understudy and have those things. But, I don't. So I do the best I can.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Words of wisdom here.

That has definitely happened the last few years here at grocery stores as well. I see this trend at food storage manufacturers as well. There are tons of freeze-dried "meals" these days, in addition the MRE type stuff, at the storage foods websites. I think a small stash of this sort of thing is fine, but for me, almost all of my stored food is composed of staple ingredients: wheat, beans, rice, sugar, baking powder, salt, powdered milk, corn, etc. My eating requirements and tastes are not really that particular; a bowl of oatmeal or baked potato or slice of bread or serving of chard sounds just as appealing to me as a gourmet meal. I've been studying (and practicing with) edible wild plants as well. Then of course, there is hunting and fishing. The argument that you may have no way to cook these staple foods is really illogical. That's the way it's traditionally been done since the dawn of man. There were no MRE's or freeze-dried foods for most all of our history. As long as you have the means to build a fire, you have the means to cook (practice some open hearth cooking if you need to). If you don't have the means to build a fire, you won't live for long anyway in much of the US during the winter.
Get a small collapsible Volcano cookstove to use outdoors, portable, takes wood or coal, and you can do a double-dutch oven (one on top of the other) - get two large cast iron pots with lids. You cook soaked beans in water in the bottom pot (do not cover this pot) and put the other pot with soaked brown rice or millet & water on top, covered.

These dutch ovens of course can also be used on wood stoves, but the Volcano stove is portable.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
re: Eating in a SHTF scenario—

Begin now to know how to be vegetarian. We will not be carting cows and bulls around with us as nomads. Depending on animal protein NOt a good idea. The best writer is Frances Moore Lappé in her 1970s classic Diet for a Small Planet. Not sure it's still in print.

Learn the basics of food combining for complete protein. Like grain + beans or grain + nuts = complete protein.

My emergency foods consist of bags of brown rice, millet, and quinoa (the latter a complete protein, looks like a grain but isn't one), and roasted kasha (buckwheat, a fabulous protein rich food that cooks up very quickly especially when ground up for cooked cereal). Plus a variety of dried beans (red, brown, white) and canned beans. Also, bags of flax seed and nuts that you can vacuum seal as well as the grains.

The only thing I will do dried is blueberries, apples, and other fruit and dried cheese. I also have on hand dried seaweeds for making soup stocks, and stock bullion cubes. Seaweeds (dulse, etc) can be roasted over a fire and eaten as a highly nutritious snack, full of iron and other minerals. They can be soaked and put into soup.

Even if you can't get fresh veg's or fruit, with proper food combining the items I just mentioned will do you just fine. You can do without dairy, won't kill you. And you can do without meat. Get that book or one like it.

I have both a wood stove to cook on and a Volcano stove if I have to vacate (will take it with me) - uses wood or coal.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM

499 posts, read 580,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, different strokes for different folks. Everything you mention there is "yuck" for me. The only thing on your list that I've eaten within probably two or three years is crackers. I do like soda crackers. And they are easy to make. On the other hand, I eat "beans and rice" at least a few times each week, oats daily, and grain-derived foods daily. In the end, we all have our own style of "prepping." And that's fine. It's good we still have options. God knows our options are being stripped from us at an alarming rate with just about everything else.
Please quote us your daily menus. I am very interested.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Pickled eggs are still eggs, and they have no more sodium in them than fresh eggs have. Unless you decide to put sodium in them.

We pickle veggies every year, they taste great and they are good for you.

Again we do not put salt in the brine, so I can not imagine where you would get the idea that they would have sodium in them.

You clearly have no idea of the subject matter.

There was once an empire who maintained a collection of Armies. They marched very long distances, and they conquered every enemy they came up against. Those armies held together their empire for over 1,000 years. Their diet was primarily barley. Granted they occasionally roasted mice or birds to include as side dishes. Everyday they marched they ate barley.

That was the Roman Empire!

Grain porridge worked for Rome to use as a diet for conquering all of their neighbors.

LOL

I just googled the ingredient list for MREs. I will spare you the shame of seeing the list here on this post.

Do not try to debate 'nutrition' of MREs until you have looked at what is in them. That is nasty food.

Isn't brine salt water? You mentioned no added salt. Does brine in the USA mean something different to brine in the U.K.? Just curious and a bit confused.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am not bugging out, but bugging in. If i have not retired before shtf, then I am staying put. have a group that is also saying put as well. mostly neighbors that have been here most of our lives and we know and trust each other.

most of us have been stockpiling for at least a decade and some longer than 2 decades. we have a doctor that joined up with us 3 years ago and he is the youngest of the group.
Is this all really happening in the USA? I don't think anything like that goes on here in U.K. II must be missing something somewhere

Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM

I.ve just realized what SHTF means..................................I think I'd just curl up and die!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
a while back I bought an emergency food pack from the LDS church. It's pretty basic stuff, rice, beans, etc. I have tried the prepackaged, freeze dried stuff from companies and I really was not impressed. They advertise "84 servings" per container and they don't tell you that a serving is like 1 cup. I don't know about you, but 1 cup of *anything* is really NOT a serving to me (and certainly not my big-appetite husband). Four of their servings is like one serving, so the price per serving amount really skyrockets.

We are going to work at growing and preserving our own food including meat products. This way you know exactly what is going into the food. The emergency foods that have been mentioned here are ok but they are filled with chemicals and probably not the best option.

I figure that the LDS folks are selling these items to their own people, so they are going to make sure that it is the best quality and the best value. I am not sure about the website, but you can google it with little effort and I'm sure it's not that hard to find.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-01-2012, 02:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
It is regrettable that you conflated my comments addressed to your snarky comments and Ode, who made repeated personal insults. I understand your defensiveness and would just urge you to relax. I am not angry.

I am very confident about my plans. There is not the smallest bit of concern on my part that I will not be the best prepared person in my demographic for a short term SHTF scenario. I am happy to have spent the many tens of thousands of dollars which I have spent on interesting equipment, arms, supplies and training whether a meaningful FHTF event ever occurs or not.

But, I would not have wanted to spend my time and resources learning 1830's survival skills and therefore living in an environment where those skills could be put to use today. I don't have a place for a well, a wood stove, or a campfire, or cows, or a vegetable garden or a loom. I am happy for you to have lived there and done so, but I like the A/C on max cold, the pool heated to 85 F. and lots of carryout food from the local gourmet restaurants here in a zipcode with 62 good eateries within walking distance. If I wanted to live out in east boofoo, I would certainly be proud to be your understudy and have those things. But, I don't. So I do the best I can.
Not everyone has the good fortune to be in an environment where they can grow their own food and enjoy a sustainable lifestyle. There are, however, many things that can be accomplished even in an urban environment insofar as growing your own food, etc. is concerned. If you google "gardengirl" on youtube you will find a wealth of interesting videos produced with this in mind. These videos include even such things as raising rabbits (for meat and fiber) in your back yard and much, much more.

Despite the fact that you do not have the advantage of space at your disposal, there is no reason why you cannot make the most of what you do have. Eventually, in a SHTF scenario, prepackaged goodies will run out and sooner or later we will be faced with producing our own food from scratch. The people who are capable of doing this (even in the city) will be much more likely to survive and thrive. Therefore, it behooves you and others in your circumstances to educate themselves as much as possible how to be as self-sufficient as they can be, in that eventuality.

just sayin'

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness