Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM

6,760 posts, read 8,615,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Because you're in the way.

Capitalism is creative destruction. It destroys the old and introduces innovation. Or would you prefer a wagon to a truck?

I'm glad I'm in right wing Wyoming where we love and respect business, wealth, and freedom.

Wyoming was the first state to offer the L.L.C. Now we're the first state to look beyond the US.
Didn't read the whole post did ya?

If they were bringing IN jobs not DESTROYING jobs, they would be welcomed.

I live next door to Wyoming. The difference I am talking about is the difference between Rock Springs or Casper to Cody.

The western end of Montana is becoming a lot like Cody, a playground for the rich and shameless. They don't bring wealth into the state in the form of jobs or opportunity, they instead close down business, lock up the land and have no respect for anyone or anything but their own twisted priorities.
This state isn't a national park, but they treat it like a gated community exclusively for them and their kind.

Most of Montana WANTS jobs and investment and creating a better life for ALL residents, not just the privilaged few who visit once in a while.
While our current governor may not be business friendly, the Legislature is and things are changing somewhat. Every new business that comes in is still challenged in court by the privileged elite greens, but those of us who work for a living LIKE the jobs that are coming in from the oil patch and the coal fields. We LIKE having jobs here so our kids don't have to leave.

Montana is the first state to take on the feds over gun rights and a hundred other things, so don't talk to me about who loves freedom and liberty more. Progress is good, destruction of everything we hold dear and calling it progress is not.

The people of Montana are not that different from the people of Wyoming, we are just burdened by more "pretty" country that calls in an undesirable element. Luckily our weather drives them out, but more replace them so it isn't a game we are winning.

Personally, I think having state plans in place to protect the citizens of the state from disaster is a good thing. We even have a place to float a Carrier, Flathead Lake. No...couldn't do that because it would distrupt the "viewscape", but we could still put one on Fort Peck

Maybe Wyoming could buy one and Montana could man it and supply the place to put it, ready for action...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,642,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And how would you feel if all those California liberals that you love so much (your favorite welfare class following right behind the big money folks bringing all that wonderful economic activity to good ol' Wyoming) surrounded your property and turned it into a Bay Area, California, east campus? That's progress, right? Would you love and respect the inevitable business, wealth, and freedom? It amazes me that your comments here are so contradictory from one post to the next--in one post your are shooting anyone who comes within sight of your community before you even know what the hell they are there for (so much for freedom, eh?) and in the next you are welcoming the type of "economic activity" that turns rural America into south central Los Angeles. Which are you for?
You're purposefully lying about my position. You know that I have never said anything favorable about liberals, Californian or otherwise. As you are well aware from my posts you know that I want right wing people from California and everyplace else in the world to live near me. You seem to think that any wealthy community is somehow evil. That's the thinking of the left.

When anyone mounts an ad hominem attack against me I know my argument has prevailed.

Quote:
I may be rather rash, but I AM consistent. I hate big city life and all that goes with it. Period. I hate seeing the rural area that still lives in my mind becoming the toilet that it has now become--economic progress or not. I hate seeing the valley filled with interstates, Burger Kings, and McMansions, rather than the endless miles and miles of winter wheat, corn, and alfalfa fields that used to be here. I don't give one tinker's damn about that kind of economic progressive. I'd rather work as a poor white trash sharecropper in the middle of nowhere than have a cushy six-figure job sitting on my ass in what I consider hell. But then, that's no longer an option around these parts (unless you are an illegal working in the few orchards remaining) due to "progress." As I said, that's why it's time (for me) to move on to a place with less "business, wealth, and freedom."
Then be a pauper. But realize that you garner no respect when you attack people who are able to do what you can't or won't.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, you're damned rights I'd prefer a wagon to a truck. But then again, that's no longer an option, either.
You really sound like the people on the Green Living and Urban Planning subfora. Think about that. Read their posts and see if you don't generally agree with them.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM

26,078 posts, read 19,042,311 times
Quote:
You're purposefully lying about my position. You know that I have never said anything favorable about liberals, Californian or otherwise. As you are well aware from my posts you know that I want right wing people from California and everyplace else in the world to live near me. You seem to think that any wealthy community is somehow evil. That's the thinking of the left.
Not really. I don't favor poverty or riches. I favor sufficiency. Besides, the wealthiest people in the world are often liberals. And, yes, I do think many liberals (especially the most hypocritical of them, the wealthy liberals) are evil. I think you are coupling two concepts that the "right wing" often mistakenly couples: riches and freedom. I believe in freedom. I do not believe that the accumulation of wealth just for the sake of accumulating wealth is an integral part of a free man. It's the choice of a free man that need not be made by every man. Freedom and the lust to be wealthy need not be one and the same.

Quote:
Then be a pauper. But realize that you garner no respect when you attack people who are able to do what you can't or won't.
... or don't want to do.

Quote:
You really sound like the people on the Green Living and Urban Planning subfora. Think about that. Read their posts and see if you don't generally agree with them.
Not really. They generally favor holding hands, worshiping the Global Warming God, and hoping everything works out for the best. As is the case with most of America, they seem to want results without any effort or consequences to those efforts. They drive king-sized cars, yet want no steel production or oil wells. They type away on their computers, yet want no power plant to provide electricity. They want to drink their water, yet do not want the wells and reservoirs that provide that water for them. They want to take a trip to the grocery store, yet do not want the business infrastructure to supply the store.

You are mistaking my stance with the stance of the "green movement." I simply believe a largely agricultural based economy and lifestyle is preferable to (not to mention healthier than) a lopsided industrial or high-tech economy and lifestyle. There is a difference. I also favor a distributed economy rather than a centralized or "statist" economy. I also favor the liberty to decide for myself. You have noticed that the "green movement" is about statism and restriction (and ultimately, tyranny), right? For me it's about choice, not compulsion.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,015,072 times
SCGranny, Post 14 is exactly what has happened to NH.

That carrier must gonna be docking in the navy base on Rt 50 deep in Nevada.

(When I rode by that place, i was doin' a Huh What the &^%$? )

Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,708,407 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? It sounds like you just don't want people with more money.
You misunderstand, Happy.

It isn't that I "don't want people with more money" to move to a rural place, start their own businesses, be productive and happy, and raise the general welfare of both the locals and the area, as well as individually profit thereby.

Sustainability in development has become an overused and heartily abused word. The real meaning of developmental sustainability is a natural progression of growing wealth; the 'rising tide that lifts all boats'. It's like the difference between a satisfying long-term marriage and a gang-bang. Too many governments, Federal, State, and local, see the dollar signs and promise the developers any and everything, without holding them responsible for anything - and the taxpayers are left with foreclosed-upon homes, shut-down businesses, and millions of dollars of infrastructure debt to pay off.

In the event of a financial or governmental collapse that impacts the whole country, the people who prefer to implement and inflict their getrichquick schemes will move to where there is money and land and are more people to rape. Welcoming them all would be like welcoming the wolves along with the sheep into your living room. Someone has to guard the door.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,708,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
SCGranny, Post 14 is exactly what has happened to NH.

That carrier must gonna be docking in the navy base on Rt 50 deep in Nevada.

(When I rode by that place, i was doin' a Huh What the &^%$? )
I would find it distinctly and shockingly humorous as well, Mac! I would have to pull over and stare.

Nice to have you back, BTW!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM

61 posts, read 141,634 times
Quote:
Because you're in the way.

Capitalism is creative destruction. It destroys the old and introduces innovation. Or would you prefer a wagon to a truck?
Friend, you're on a self-sufficiency forum. Division of labor and specialization increase productivity but necessarily decrease self-sufficiency.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,517,670 times
Another State Making a BIG Difference!

The state of Virginia just nullified the NDAA -- the National Defense Authorization Act which lets the feds grab any citizen (legal or illegal) without proof, with no recourse to an attorney or fair trial, and just lock 'em up indefinitely as "terrorists". I guess the folks in Virginia didn't like the law, or something! But both houses passed the anti-NDAA with overwhelming majorities. NOW the fun begins! Will the feds try to sue VA the way they tried to sue AZ over the illegal immigration issue? Will they even acknowlege this nullification of NDAA? It's not exactly front-page news, and is even a bit hard to find. I guess we'll see!

Gosh but these states are gettin' rambunctious, huh? They act like they have some POWER, or something!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,017,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Another State Making a BIG Difference!

The state of Virginia just nullified the NDAA -- the National Defense Authorization Act which lets the feds grab any citizen (legal or illegal) without proof, with no recourse to an attorney or fair trial, and just lock 'em up indefinitely as "terrorists". I guess the folks in Virginia didn't like the law, or something! But both houses passed the anti-NDAA with overwhelming majorities. NOW the fun begins! Will the feds try to sue VA the way they tried to sue AZ over the illegal immigration issue? Will they even acknowlege this nullification of NDAA? It's not exactly front-page news, and is even a bit hard to find. I guess we'll see!

Gosh but these states are gettin' rambunctious, huh? They act like they have some POWER, or something!
Yes, there is a thread on it over in the Politics forum. For this forum I think the focus should remain on the preparation/self-sufficency aspects of what is happening around us. In otherwords, how do these actions by some states affect, or do they affect, individual, family, or community planning?

(I'd hate to see this thread locked up because of the inevitable devolution that occurs once politics enters the discussion.)

Old 03-02-2012, 03:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,230,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
An aircraft carrier is generally useless as an airport, unless it can get into a really strong head wind.
Useless?

You need to about 12,000 people for an aircraft carrier. Does Wyoming even have that many people?

Uselessly....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
In otherwords, how do these actions by some states affect, or do they affect, individual, family, or community planning?
If I would be Wyoming, I would have all Wyoming residents implanted with an RFID chip that stores their work history, medical records, criminal records and certifications.

Then in the event of Armageddon, I could have a computer triage people automatically, based on their criminal records, military records, medical records, job history and such.

So let's say you have one of the PhatPholks™ or a Convict™ come to an aid center for food or shelter, their RFID chip would bar their entrance into the facility or trigger an alarm or alert administrators to remove them or deny them food or whatever.

That would allow Wyoming to operate more efficiently and provide an higher survival rate for [worthy] Wyoming residents.

Technologically...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness