Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

Whether you sit tight and wait it out, or whether you un-a$$ the AO PDQ is entirely circumstantial. I could be carrying my full-on Rambo weaponry and long-term survival BOB and I'm still not going to hunker down in a burning building or an infectious zone.

What you need to do and have depends on what exactly is happening when it happens, so you need to have multiple plans for different scenarios and in case the circumstances change. Your EDC needs to contain the items necessary for survival in the majority (if not all) of those cases while not requiring you to 1) carry anything illegal or restricted under normal circumstances, or 2) lug a heavy suitcase around with you everywhere.

Improvised tools and weapons are pretty easy to come by, no need to risk getting detained or arrested trying to sneak one around with you all the time in your EDC. With the massive terrorist paranoia these days, it is just not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Whether you sit tight and wait it out, or whether you un-a$$ the AO PDQ is entirely circumstantial. I could be carrying my full-on Rambo weaponry and long-term survival BOB and I'm still not going to hunker down in a burning building or an infectious zone.

What you need to do and have depends on what exactly is happening when it happens, so you need to have multiple plans for different scenarios and in case the circumstances change. Your EDC needs to contain the items necessary for survival in the majority (if not all) of those cases while not requiring you to 1) carry anything illegal or restricted under normal circumstances, or 2) lug a heavy suitcase around with you everywhere.

Improvised tools and weapons are pretty easy to come by, no need to risk getting detained or arrested trying to sneak one around with you all the time in your EDC. With the massive terrorist paranoia these days, it is just not worth it.

I agee with your adjurations. I just wished to make the point that trouble avoided is trouble overcome.

That's why I live in Wyoming.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Yeppers - and why I live in Alaska far far far from any urban population densities where there is no difference between open and concealed carry and no one even looks at you funny if you have a shotgun on your passenger seat and a pistol on your person

Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
In a longer term disaster, when people are hungry/starving and when hope for the restoration of any semblance of "normal" is gone, all that can turn on a dime.
I'll be home by then. My EDC will be for the initial event, one or two days until I can get home. If not delayed, I should be able to walk from the Brooklyn Bridge to my house in about 10-12 hours. That's how long it took some friends to walk the same path.

Since I still have all your attention, do you think that case would be too big? I was thinking that those mylar blankets wouldn't fit in an Altoids tin, so I'd be better off with a bigger container.

Guess I'll just order it anyway. If it's too big, I can use it in my BOB. Or my make-up, .

Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 AM

The mylar blankets/bags are definitely bigger than an Altoid tin. I have tried taking them out of the package and refolding them (carefully!) a gajillion different ways to see if I can make them fit, but you can only get one blanket in the tin and you have to bind the tin closed with 550 paracord or it pops open. So, at the very least, you'd end up with two altoid tins, one with your basic survival gear and one with the emergency blanket.

What I ended up doing was packing my smaller tin inside a larger tin so that I could include additional shelter first aid items. Check out the mini tin kit and the pocket tin plus kit available here, and you'll get the gist of it. In fact, those kits and the pouch for the larger tin, are actually pretty darn awesome (although I'd probably opt for the small mess tin w/handle instead of the flat tin) and are nearly identical to what I have in my EDC kit. As mentioned before, you can always pop out the mini-tin if you need to carry a smaller purse or attach it to a belt/strap in a pouch when you don't mind going without your bulkier shelter items. The larger "plus" tin fits fairly well in normal commuter bags/packs (about the size of a fat paperback) with the option of wearing it on a belt or strap during the crisis and freeing up your commuter bag/pack for other things you collect along the way.

ETA: I played with one my friend bought, and everything they include in the plus kit fits inside their small handled mess tin, which fits inside the pouch with enough room to squeak in the esbit emergency stove (not the larger pocket stove), an aquamira filter straw, and a couple lawn/trash bags or ziplocs. There is also room for some folded duct tape strips and aluminum foil squares with a little fiddling and the whole thing fits in the main compartment of my Maxpedition Fatboy.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 04-20-2012 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: hit "post" too soon ;)

Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 AM

941 posts, read 1,804,401 times
Iodine tablets

Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Iodine tablets
Depends on how old you are and your health status, the CDC potassium iodide (KI) fact sheet states

Quote:
Adults: Adults older than 40 years should not take KI unless public health or emergency management officials say that contamination with a very large dose of radioactive iodine is expected. Adults older than 40 years have the lowest chance of developing thyroid cancer or thyroid injury after contamination with radioactive iodine. They also have a greater chance of having allergic reactions to KI.
Timing of dosage is also critical... in many urban areas and other high risk "ground zero" locations, you may have already been exposed to critically high doses of radioactive iodine by the time authorities issue the advisory. Taking it too early or too late may render it's non-beneficial.

There are several minor and fatal risks associated with KI tablets, so I urge everyone to read the fact sheet when considering whether to include KI tabs in their kits.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 AM

941 posts, read 1,804,401 times
great advice.. I didn't realize timing was crucially important.. good stuff to know.
I will read up

Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Iodine tablets
I'd be dead.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM

I really like that little mess tin. I could use that to heat water or food if I needed to. Think I'll get that one for the daily and the other one for my BOB. I like those round, screw top tins too. Soooooo many uses for those.

Now I just have to figure out where the money is coming from. Sheesh, I wish I could find a decent job!!! (but that's another thread in another subforum)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness