Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

So, anyway, the OP's article is dead on as far as the latest scientific information though I honestly still don't know how anyone could possibly prep for it. It's a slow motion event where the water level just creeps up a little more and a little more each year. Not living in a low laying coastal area is about all you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Yep, those folks better move now because in several hundred years they could be wiped out.

Seashells can be found all over the country, even in the mountains. Folks better get a clue ... it means they could be covered in water again.

I bet more people would rather have more than 5 minutes notice that a tornado is bearing down on them.

I bet there are many who would like to have had more advance notice of a "land hurricane".

I bet many would like to have advance notice of earthquakes.

People can't hold back water, though we are foolish enough to try. Just ask the folks who live within a few miles of rivers like the Mississippi.

How does one prep for water? Unless you have open reservations on an ark, get a sailboat, houseboat, or any boat large enough to stock supplies.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 07-07-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
SCG, Apx 7 maybe 8 miles north of me in a town called Albany NH, which is so small no one from away knows they went thru a town, 12 feet down under the soil is a salt water beach. I know a gent not far from here that has a section of it turned to sand stone, complete with seas shells. It has ripples in the sand just like any beach, even fresh water beaches can look this way where catpaws lap the sand and then the water goes away.

Some what more north in a part of Bartlett called Glen there is a gravel pit where a very large sharktooth was found. This is megladon, which is extinct, and bigger than the Great White of today.

During railroad const in the mid 1800's a track was being built between Portland Maine and Ogdensburg Vt, and some where around the Ct River on the NH/Vt border they dug up a whale!

I can't be sure, but I think a great deal of these findings are so old that they may come from the last time the continents were all one.

I think that one kind of critters die off another kind evolve to take it's place.

Man has been very careless with Earth, spreading disease, insect populations and other assorted quick profit for greed and fame.

Perhaps Earth just wants to wash the Atolls free of plastic debris...
We appear to think alike.
Yeah Think, In the Earth's past there were no glaciers, and at other times the Earth was completely covered under miles of ice..... Just because the ice is melting today, it does not mean that one day the ice will again cover all Earth land masses again in miles deep of ice.

One day the continents will all be one again too. You could bet safely on that, but you wouldn't be around to collect and neither will whom ever take that bet!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Yep, those folks better move now because in several hundred years they could be wiped out.

Seashells can be found all over the country, even in the mountains. Folks better get a clue ... it means they could be covered in water again.

I bet more people would rather have more than 5 minutes notice that a tornado is bearing down on them.

I bet there are many who would like to have had more advance notice of a "land hurricane".

I bet many would like to have advance notice of earthquakes.

People can't hold back water, though we are foolish enough to try. Just ask the folks who live within a few miles of rivers like the Mississippi.

How does one prep for water? Unless you have open reservations on an ark, get a sailboat, houseboat, or any boat large enough to stock supplies.

That's right and you just somehow reminded me..... I have found sea shells and fossils all over the USA, from near the Great lakes in NY to in Council Grove Ks, to the Ut/Nevada border, and more.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
I suppose if you wanted to leave a legacy for your future bloodline that would be safe(r) from coastal erosion, you could buy a serious chunk of property well inland (and out of river flood plains), and spend the rest of your life turning it into a fertile and self-sufficient homestead. You'd probably need to practice dedicated water conservation and set up multiple water collection and storage points (not just a well but also rain/snow harvesting) because most land not on the coast of sea or river tends to have water availability issues (or at least rely on rapidly dwindling aquifers that may eventually be contaminated by seawater). And you'd need to figure out a way to protect your arable land from usurpers both private and public who will eventually scramble inland as the water rises, starving because many farms will also be claimed by sea. Then you'd need to teach your children of the future danger and the strategic importance of your parcel, and make sure they teach their children, and their children.

That's about all you could do to prep for a creeping menace that takes centuries to arrive.

Approximately 40% of the world's population lives within 100km of the coast.
http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/es/...Pop_Method.pdf

In the US, roughly 53% of the population lives within 50 miles of the coast.
What percentage of the American population lives near the coast?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
And you'd need to figure out a way to protect your arable land from usurpers both private and public who will eventually scramble inland as the water rises, starving because many farms will also be claimed by sea.
LOL, in the US many probably would be scrambling inland due to starvation because they don't know how to get food from the sea, or how to desalinate the water for drinking.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:38 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I suppose if you wanted to leave a legacy for your future bloodline that would be safe(r) from coastal erosion, you could buy a serious chunk of property well inland (and out of river flood plains), and spend the rest of your life turning it into a fertile and self-sufficient homestead. You'd probably need to practice dedicated water conservation and set up multiple water collection and storage points (not just a well but also rain/snow harvesting) because most land not on the coast of sea or river tends to have water availability issues (or at least rely on rapidly dwindling aquifers that may eventually be contaminated by seawater). And you'd need to figure out a way to protect your arable land from usurpers both private and public who will eventually scramble inland as the water rises, starving because many farms will also be claimed by sea. Then you'd need to teach your children of the future danger and the strategic importance of your parcel, and make sure they teach their children, and their children.

That's about all you could do to prep for a creeping menace that takes centuries to arrive.

Approximately 40% of the world's population lives within 100km of the coast.
http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/es/...Pop_Method.pdf

In the US, roughly 53% of the population lives within 50 miles of the coast.
What percentage of the American population lives near the coast?

??????????????????/

The vast majority of corn produced in the US is grown on non-irrigated acres.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
??????????????????/

The vast majority of corn produced in the US is grown on non-irrigated acres.
So what? You want a cookie?

You think that if NYC is under 10-15' of water people are going to care about whether they're corn is irrigated or not? With Florida mostly horked, DC mostly under water (except for the Jefferson Memorial, and some obelisks and buildings. New Orleans and much of the rest of the South East will resemble Atlantis. Do people think that that the country is going to be functional enough to worry about growing corn on a massive scale at all? Hell the oil rigs in the Gulf will be under water too, so that's going to put an end to production for a while at least but given all the major ports would be under water it's pretty irrelevant.

Not to mention that if sea levels rise, that will affect the climate both at the new coast line, AND continentally, what may have been a continental climate may now be coastal, one are that was in a rain shadow could now be in a rain belt, or worst of all one that was in a rain belt and fertile may now be in a rain shadow. Plus since the water would come from ice melt, that would result in desalination of the oceans in certain areas, saline is lower density than pure water, which will affect ocean currents which would also result in changes of climatological bands. Overall though as there's more water there would be more rain, which might be a good thing, or bad, depending on what you're trying to grow. Whether additional water vapor would result in increased temperatures because water vapor is a greenhouse gas, or greater global cooling because of increased albedo effect is difficult to predict and potentially localized.

More pertinently if it came to pass it makes the argument of "but corn in grown on non-irrigated acres" completely irrelevant. Today corn is grown on "non-irrigated acres", but tomorrow it may need irrigation, or improved drainage. Indeed this has happened before in recent history, the dustbowl is a great example, a little more irrigation and it likely wouldn't have happened at all. Plus you cannot live on a diet of just corn, you do not get the required nutrients you need, so while you may feel like you've eaten enough you'll die of malnutrition in a short period of time.

But hey, I'm just not one to let a piece of potentially irrelevant trivia get in the way of analyzing the problem.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,606 times
Default wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I'm still waiting for Edgar Cayce's prediction to come true so I can have beachfront property.
That's why I love you!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:49 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Well, at least your children's children MUST be

Rise in sea level can't be stopped: scientists | Reuters

OD
I wonder if Florida people are aware of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness