Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Yellowstone Caldera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMO what will happen is this place will blow as the earth moves over it to the west, which is fairly typical of live hot spots around the world. I can't say when and or of this could happenj in our grandchildrens life times or ours, but one day it will happen.

I believe this because it has happened before, no less than 3 times, and the place is still hot.

I did not 'search' ash falls for this, but strikingly to me in the past the ash has gone south west.....

This sort of thing floats my stick, so long as it is in the deep past.

I have a relic of Ash Fall Nebraska, as a hunk of live oak. This piece is partly amber color oak fibers of wood and some bark, which has turned cream white. When I found it, I took it as porky chewed deer antler, untill I touched it. Ash Fall is now a hillside, where once it was a pond, and why so many skeletons of ancient wild American beasts are found there today. The strangest thing to me is no one knows where the volcano was that did this.

Another strange place is about where I live and once I did live dead center in the Ossipee Ring D i k e. (nannied word on most sites) it is said that once this volcano would have shadowed Everest. The base is apx 12 miles dia. As i understand it the ossipee was active when all land mass was one. So it's been cold a while...

Another fact is mankind will wipe out mankind long before Earth ends...... But when Earth makes itself over, long after man, everything we ever did will be gobbled up and redistributed again....

If I seem off today, it's because a good dog friend of mine pasted away this morning in my arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

That's a map of the ash fall patterns of the three previous events due to the Yellowstone hotspot. They occurred 2.2 mya, 1.3mya, and 0.64mya. That only gives us three data points to work with the amount of time between the 1st and 2nd event being ~900,000 years while the difference between the 2nd and 3rd events was ~660,000 years. It has been 640,000 years since the last eruption so we could be nearing the time for another one or it could be 300,000 years in the future.

BTW WRT the ash fall map, it should be obvious that the closer you are to the source the thicker the ash fall is and the further from the source the thinner it is.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
The OP might be interested in reading the following USGS report on the Yellowstone Caldera linked here: http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1788/pp1788_text.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness