Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Fair enough, I'll try and rekindle this thread, and I’ve reread your topic.

The problem I have with muzzleloaders is that they require some degree of experience, care, and special treatment that modern firearms don't. Unlike modern metallic cartridges, black powder attracts moisture. It’s rather fussy about that sort of thing. I believe percussion caps suffer a similar problem. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it does require some experience and other concerns that smokeless metallic cartridges don’t. A double barrel muzzleloader cut down to 16 – 20 inches would work well at self-defense and for hunting. Since antique firearms aren't really firearms according to the law, one can legally own a sawed off black powder muzzle loading shotgun. One could cast their own shot, slugs, and the like. Cap and ball pistols are no joke. They’re rather accurate as well. Moreover, they’re inexpensive, and one can purchase multiple cylinders, as well as cylinders that will accept modern smokeless metallic cartridges.

A break barrel air rifle would do well against small game if one was patient, knew how to shoot, and where to shoot the game. The ammunition is rather cheap.

Traditional bow and arrow as well as traditional crossbows would also work well, but these require a degree of practice and experience as well. In the scenario put forth, I steer clear of compound archery equipment. If one’s inclined, there’s a lot to learn about making self-bows, arrows, and strings.

While I agree that in the scenario you’ve put forth that these weapons plus archery equipment would serve anybody willing to learn them well, I’ll stand on my suggestion about learning to trap, snare, and purchasing the gear to do it.

Actively hunting for one’s food isn’t the most efficient way to do things, especially in a self-reliance situation.

The only problem I have is that we cannot foresee just how bad things will get. I seriously doubt that the combined efforts of police and military will be able to disarm this entire country. They can’t even keep drugs under control when things are going well…

Hence, I feel that weapons and ammunition will abound.

Interesting subject and thanks for reading.
Cheers,
bolillo_loco
While there is a grain of truth in what you say my point was aimed at those who don't own firearms or are not hunters or gun hobbiest.

The key here is education about primitive weapons that are still as deadly as ever. Beside, primitives are way more fun to learn about over modern firearms. Any brain dead idiot can shove a bullet in the chamber and pull the trigger. Where's the pleasure ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryharder View Post
You can suffer the handicaps of black powder and air guns if you want.
Moderator cut: off-topic
We got away from the over powder and over shot "wads" in modern shotshells for a good reason, you know. They tend to "tip", either when pushed down the muzzle, or upon firing, letting either the shot rattle down the barrel, or letting the powder gases scatter the shot pellets. Without a choke, the shotgun's pattern, especially from a muzzleloader, will be much too scattered to reliably stop a man beyond about 50 ft of range. Such a short barrel just wont put enough of the buckshot pellets into the kill zone, on a reliable basis. Some won't do so much beyond 35 ft, actually, when cut down as much as you suggest, using a muzzleloader.
Moderator cut: orphaned response, references to content that has been removed

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT MODERN DAY FIREARMS!! We welcome any and all discussions about non-firearm weaponry.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 09-12-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Moderator cut: orphaned, quoted post removed

as far as black powder goes, does anyone know the mixture and % needed when making your own black powder?

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 09-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
as far as black powder goes, does anyone know the mixture and % needed when making your own black powder?
It was determined centuries ago that the best mixture was 10% sulphur, 15% charcoal, and 75% potassium nitrate.

I've cited the following two books many times on this forum but I'll do so again as they are fundamental works. A basic knowledge of chemistry is necessary to understand them; but that's requisite for many aspects of survivalism. The farmer who doesn't understand chemistry is a sorry specimen.

Amazon.com: The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives (9780945001171): Tenney L. Davis: Books

Amazon.com: A History of Greek Fire and Gunpowder (9780801859540): J. R. Partington, Bert S. Hall: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness