Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
hah! I thought I was a rare nut with my scythe!! People around here look at me like I have two heads when I mow my field with the scythe...

OD
I know that look...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 03:59 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
In my twenties, I used to say that I was born in the wrong century. Now? I'm glad for the luxuries that I have.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is those things I said I could live without in my twenties, now that I'm in my fifties - not so much.
To be fair, families used to stay together "back then" so in your 50s you would still work but your children would also be shouldering the burden to a large degree.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Volunteer to work with some Amish or Mennonite farmers, to learn their skill set. Many elderly are in need of youthful assistants and may be willing to barter.
Apprenticeships are very common, and they begin a journey that ends with farm ownership.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, obviously they can make things more manageable and less labor intensive, but they are not absolutely necessary of you have time, are willing to work, and can slow your pace of life a bit.

Notice the lack of NOISE! Ahhhhh, that's my kinda work.
I used my scythe for about an hour today.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Cinebar nice to meet you. Thanks for being so open... i am 60 soon to be 61, and i bust my tail trying to care for my artsy wife who in turn busts her tail caring for me. our 2nd time around each....

It's really hard finding the right mate.... When I am on line it is either resting or i am broken, and as of late i am broken. I just don't bother to mention it much.

Even then I still can deal in pain long enough to go cut trees that will block the rd in and or out of here, and try to get jobs done for dough.

'We' (my wife and I ) are working on, err well she is working on making her art gain some $$$$ All I do is share in getting $$$ so she can spend the time doing art or checking out markets.

With this economy it's hard tellin' but she knows better than me what other women will buy..... Women do run the economy outside of poly tics...

Chris C , right now i can't hardly walk let alone sweep nuthin', but I will get back at it soon enough... This stinkin hot muggies has me in a fit... I pray for a T storm to make it DRY! At least I know you won't feel sorry for Ol Mac I sure have no need of that........ What ever you do, Don't tell No Body!

Old 03-24-2015, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 579 times
I am wanting to do something like this, but on a much smaller acreage (10). Is there anyone who is willing to try and tell me what all goes into it. As i am a city girl and a mom, but this is a dream i have had for over 10 years but i dont feel i know enough to even try yet.I want just enough to feed my family of five. I am planning on slowly getting to the self sufficiency part (including a wind mill). I have a ten year plan. Please message me at destinyshantel82@gmail.com.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 PM

527 posts, read 423,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I really don't know where modern society got the idea that work is a bad thing. But they sure have. Nobody (especially the younger generation) wants to lift a damn finger these days. I guess it makes it better in a way for us "older folks" who are not part of the Sedentary Generation.
Because, due to high levels of automation in agriculture and industry, most of the "physical" jobs out there will pay close to minimum wage and certainly won't pay for a person buying themselves a farm or a homestead, or even a house on 1 acre. The remaining few physical occupations available have to do with exposure to toxic chemicals or dust, damaging to health. So, to buy that dream "homestead" (on which they'll pay the hell of a tax as well), one often has to first work for many years in a sedential occupation. Especially considering they'll still need significant savings left after property purchase, as such homestead being self-sufficient is a remote and in most cases unrealistic dream. Unless they're a heir, of course.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
... So, to buy that dream "homestead" (on which they'll pay the hell of a tax as well),
Taxes differ a lot from state to state.

A 3bdrm home on 150 acres of land could be taxed $500/year, or $5,000/year, depending on where you go.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,648 times
DO NOT ALLOW these posts to influence your dreams. As a former educator, I ALWAYS told my students "NEVER tell anyone your dreams or plans, BECAUSE someone will ALWAYS tell you 'You CAN"T' ". Dream and do young person.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 PM

527 posts, read 423,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Taxes differ a lot from state to state.

A 3bdrm home on 150 acres of land could be taxed $500/year, or $5,000/year, depending on where you go.
Yes, but even $500 a year can add up over years of having no/little monetary income: over 40-50 years, it's 24K-30K extra on the property price. Plus, most states have property taxes follow increases in market value, and one has to keep in mind that their current tax might be much bigger 30 years down the road. Unless they're enjoying Prop 13 in a well-known state. So, has to have either these saved/backup money, or a wealthy family in inheirt from if the farm project turns out to be a money drain--or have steady SSI/SSD/pension income, still have to work 10 years to get credits.

Last edited by opossum1; 03-29-2015 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness