Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The fastest way is to snap the chickens neck as you catch it, just as if it were a wet towel and you were going to shake water out. Then next instant chop the head off a dead chicken.. Chicken never knows what happened. Not knowing what happened means no adrenaline flow.. That means better taste.

Still a cord wrapped around it's feet can be a wise idea. A dead chicken can still run... if you let that happen, anyone who see's it will be pretty sick.
Beat me to the punch on this one. That's how I kill any wounded game birds. But I have large strong hands so its easy for me. Sometimes I get an odd flop and the bird neck dosent snap all the way and proceeds to beat the crap out of me with its wings and feet until the next quick snap.

Had a buddy of mine that needed to BBQ multiple chickens for a rehersal dinner. We corraled the birds into a pen and waded into them like Sherman's march to the sea. Used deerskin gloves to get a good grip and protect the hands for the snap.

OH YEAH Good Job Kinky!!!!

Welcome to the top of the food chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I hunt, but I don't like the killing... So the faster the killing happens the better off I am and the kill is. Better for the meat too. And that is the point for the killing.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
I haven't read the thread but I want to know who did the gutting.
The hatchet work is the *easy* part.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I usually smoke a stogie while cleaning the birds to keep the smell down.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Quote:
Guess it depends on the person... I have more problems with the actual killing than the rest of the processing, do DH normally makes the kill and I gut, skin and butcher. This works out fairly well since I have smaller hands and get inside the birds and under skin much easier anyway. For larger animals, I might need his help moving the carcass around and hefting it on the gambrel, but DH escapes before I break out the knives and saw.

I don't normally have too much issue with the smell, but a dab of vapo-rub under your nose works wonders

Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Guess it depends on the person... I have more problems with the actual killing than the rest of the processing, do DH normally makes the kill and I gut, skin and butcher. This works out fairly well since I have smaller hands and get inside the birds and under skin much easier anyway. For larger animals, I might need his help moving the carcass around and hefting it on the gambrel, but DH escapes before I break out the knives and saw.

I don't normally have too much issue with the smell, but a dab of vapo-rub under your nose works wonders
Reminds me of Silence of the Lambs. "Do you still hear the lambs Clarice?"

Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
I am divorced. My husband was definitely not a wuss. He had to kill a lambs for Ramadan, and his only fear is full-time employment. LOL Siiigh.

Nevertheless, he is not here, so I did everything myself. The gutting was super easy. Sadly, the killing for me was the difficult part. I'm going to try to make it quicker next time. The remaining rooster is being a PITA, and he's looking more delicious by the minute!

I know a little about anatomy, so I snipped down between the breast w/ kitchen shears. I snipped off the "craw" it looked like a little bag...and I definitely did NOT want to cut it open by accident. Luckily I didn't pierce it while cutting off the head. I cut from the neck to the butt, avoiding cutting the intestines. I tried to cut along the sternum, since there is supposed to be cartilage there and you can cut right down the middle.

This is after I plucked it, which was surprisingly easy. It wasn't totally super feather-free, but I didn't use hot water or anything and the feathers came off easier than I thought. Apparently programming has given me wrists of steel.

But I digress.

Once the chicken was open, I snipped around the tissue holding the intestines inside the carcass...My entire point was not wanting to see any undigested chicken food or (gag) poop.

The innards smelled terrible anyway, and I got lucky and did not have any "gallblader" issues...since I can't recognize the gallbladder anyway. I was too disgusted by the smell, so I didn't save the heart or liver. I just scooped everything out and chucked it. Then washed out the chicken super good, and soaked it in salt and vinegar for a bit before seasoning and refrigerating it.

BTW Harry, I put it in the fridge for one day only. I didn't have any rigor mortis issues. I shared it w/ my family and everyone said it was delicious.

Funny but true: since I'm now officially a killer (for food)...I saw one of the pesky rabbits in my garden, and my first thought was...if only I could catch it. LOL

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Wild rabbits can carry disease (and worms) and there are only a few times a year around here that people consider them safe to eat.

I wish the batch of chickens I had a problem with didn't stiffen up. Maybe they liked you better?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Wild rabbits can carry disease (and worms) and there are only a few times a year around here that people consider them safe to eat.
Your point being?

Sheep, cows, pigs and chickens also can carry disease (and worms), yet we eat them regularly, and when hygienically processed and properly cooked have no issues.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:03 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
My point being that the older folks in this area are pretty savvy and tend to avoid such diseases. Sheep, cows, and chickens are not WILD animals like wild rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness