Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks everyone, that lp fridge sounds interesting. Sadly, we do know long-term survival is prob. not likely worst-case scenario.

this is a home sized one
Propane Gas Refrigerators : LP Gas Refrigerator : Gas Fridge : Absorption Refrigerator : WareHouseAppliance.com

this is a small one if a large is too big for you buy.
LP Gas Refrigerator - Norcold 323 on sale - PPL Motor Homes

Lp refridgerators tend to cost more than electric ones, but they also last longer. I do know someone who bought one in the 1970's and it is still running nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
I'm not at all into the zombie, end-of-the world things - but how do you stock up on prescription meds. in case of power outages, terrible weather, etc.? "They" (insurance/prescription refillers) won't refill if it's not "time". (Husband is transplant recipient, those anti-rejection meds. cause diabetes, so he's that as well). There is no way we can get an extra supply of all those drugs just to have "in case".
What I would do is go see a naturopathic doctor who has been to medical school for 4 years studying Naturopathy (as opposed to a medical doctor who only knows Allopathy and not to e confused with a holistic doctor who is usually just a medical doctor who has taken a few courses on natural medicine and calls himself an expert) and get advise as to how you can start to get healthy enough so you soon or eventually won't NEED your prescriptions. Make sure they have proven experience doing this with other people with your condition (or worse). Lots of people have gotten rid of lots of so-called "incurable" diseases this way.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
What I would do is go see a naturopathic doctor who has been to medical school for 4 years studying Naturopathy (as opposed to a medical doctor who only knows Allopathy and not to e confused with a holistic doctor who is usually just a medical doctor who has taken a few courses on natural medicine and calls himself an expert) and get advise as to how you can start to get healthy enough so you soon or eventually won't NEED your prescriptions. Make sure they have proven experience doing this with other people with your condition (or worse). Lots of people have gotten rid of lots of so-called "incurable" diseases this way.
If you noticed the OP stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13
Husband is transplant recipient,
Once you're on that bandwagon, then there's not much alternative, indeed I would be very cautious about using anything that was not cleared by that persons medical teams. The issue with many naturopathic programs is that they're designed to boost immune function, and replace artificially derived treatments with natural treatments that mimic (or often originate) the modern alternative as well as providing holistic dietary advice.

However in a transplant recipient the last thing that you want to do is boost immune function, or introduce a bunch of naturally occurring chemistry to that persons system. While it may seem a no-brainer to most of us that aspirin and willow bark tea have the same active ingredient, Willow bark comes with a bunch of other stuff that has not been in vitro or in vivo tested with an anti-rejection med that the OP's husband is currently taking to keep him from needing another transplant.

While I personally have no beef with naturopathic or allopathic treatments, since I'm pretty utilitarian (i.e. if it works, I couldn't give a damn about whether it's from eating a bunch of leaves, or mouldy cheese, or popping a pill). In this instance any decent naturopath would likely be very hesitant in accepting a transplant recipient, and as far as I know there are no anti-rejection naturopathic remedies (and it's kind of counter to the whole premise of naturopathy).

Last edited by Gungnir; 09-24-2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: c not s

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, that lp fridge sounds interesting. Sadly, we do know long-term survival is prob. not likely worst-case scenario.
If your medication requires refrigeration, you may also want to consider one of the many small 12v DC refrigerators that can be run by solar/wind, battery, vehicle or generator. Models are available in several sizes and price ranges, including portable sizes used to store and transport vaccines in 3rd world countries without ready access to grid power and those used by EMS to transport medications and organs. Even though LP/Kerosene or other consumer DC appliances designed for food and beverages are less expensive, I highly recommend purchasing one of the rugged units specifically designed and tested for vaccine/medication cold chain applications if you intend to use them for your critical medical supplies.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Thanks Gungnir - someone gets it

Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If you noticed the OP stated

Once you're on that bandwagon, then there's not much alternative, indeed I would be very cautious about using anything that was not cleared by that persons medical teams. The issue with many naturopathic programs is that they're designed to boost immune function, and replace artificially derived treatments with natural treatments that mimic (or often originate) the modern alternative as well as providing holistic dietary advice.

However in a transplant recipient the last thing that you want to do is boost immune function, or introduce a bunch of naturally occurring chemistry to that persons system. While it may seem a no-brainer to most of us that aspirin and willow bark tea have the same active ingredient, Willow bark comes with a bunch of other stuff that has not been in vitro or in vivo tested with an anti-rejection med that the OP's husband is currently taking to keep him from needing another transplant.

While I personally have no beef with naturopathic or allopathic treatments, since I'm pretty utilitarian (i.e. if it works, I couldn't give a damn about whether it's from eating a bunch of leaves, or mouldy cheese, or popping a pill). In this instance any decent naturopath would likely be very hesitant in accepting a transplant recipient, and as far as I know there are no anti-rejection naturopathic remedies (and it's kind of counter to the whole premise of naturopathy).
No I didn't know they were a transplant recipient but there are experienced Naturopaths that have allopathic training as well that could work with someone like that along with their allopathic doctor to try to help the body do as much as it can on its own. I know since I use one who works with two others.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,275,428 times
I really don't need to worry about stockpiling medication. My medication is good for one year. When I run out, I will die in about 6 weeks. Lost my thryoid to a tumor. However, I know I will have friends coming who will inherit from me so I will stock for all of us.

My biggest worry is the number of diseases floating around. My dog, Katie Plumetail, just died from Leptospirosis. She most likely got it from a raccoon. There are plenty around my house since some of my neighbors think they are cute and feed them. She caught a virulent form that shut down her kidneys in a week.

I am not especially worried about mad cow disease, but brucellosis, rabies, salmonellosis, tuberculosis, even plague can be contracted from animals. Most of these can be controlled by antibiotics, but, how many people have a stockpile of the necessary antibiotics?

I think the death from disease will vastly exceed deaths from violence if SHTF!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
This shortage issue will be a Big Issue should things go socially chaotic. Which ,IHMO will absolutely happen in the next 12 - 18 mo, after the lazy American voters finally wake up and realize that the pre-election promises (also known as "say anything to get in or stay in!") will not hold water ("I'll generate 12M new jobs if I'm elected!" or Barry's "I'll stimulate the economy back into a full recovery! and it won't cost the middle income American anything!").

Then, when transportation goes a bit nasty (the price of diesel & gas both go wack-job sky-high [easily +$10/gallon.], or the number of full truckloads to take across country drops to a dribble..., or [horros!] those new manufacturing jobs don't make anything that we really want or need, or no-one really wants to go back to macro-consumerism...), we'll see an amazing new set of rules. Our local big food supermarket here gets 2 - 4 truckloads of stiff per day, including the supply of their pharmaceuticals.

Yes, you should try to stock-pile stuff, but it may be a "first-come, first-served" basis *(wink-wink, nudge nudge) if you are smart & observant enough to see "it" coming a few weeks (days?) ahead of time, and you might have to come to "an understanding" with your pharmacist... I'm just saying.

(BTW. as a bit of practical advice, and while the getting is easy, remember: stockpile a lot of 22, .223 & 12 &/or 20ga ammo. Then, you'll be in a far better position to perhaps barter for some critical meds when you REALLY need them!)

Else, if you're diabetic (like me) and also steroid dependent (like me) or on pain meds (like me) due to from rampant aggressive arthritis, you'll really be in a s-load of trouble in short order without at least a few months supply. Even then, if our "cultural recalculations" remain in a mostly permanent state of disarray, you will be reduced to eating dandelion shoots or birch bark tea. And good luck with that!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
I'm not at all into the zombie, end-of-the world things - but how do you stock up on prescription meds. in case of power outages, terrible weather, etc.? "They" (insurance/prescription refillers) won't refill if it's not "time". (Husband is transplant recipient, those anti-rejection meds. cause diabetes, so he's that as well). There is no way we can get an extra supply of all those drugs just to have "in case".
This is tough even if a person can "stock up" on their meds. Why? Meds are complex chemical/natural compounds that change in makeup over time. What may be good for 6 months will turn rancid and poisonous at 7 month and beyond......and there is no way to know with old meds just how good, or safe, they are.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
This is tough even if a person can "stock up" on their meds. Why? Meds are complex chemical/natural compounds that change in makeup over time. What may be good for 6 months will turn rancid and poisonous at 7 month and beyond......and there is no way to know with old meds just how good, or safe, they are.
The vast majority of traditional prescription and OTC medications are still good 10 years after the expiration date placed on the unit by the manufacture. According to the FDA and the DOD, of all prescription medication, only about 20% have long-term (5+ Years) expired expiration issues, and of that maybe 8% have medium (1.5+ years) expired expiration issues, with only about 4% are to be discarded at the expiration date. The survival recommendation is to find out what the FDA or DOD studies said about your current prescription medication. Remebering that many brand name non generic available medications are only listed up to the lenght of time they have been available. Can't say something will last 10 years after expiration if the samples have only been around for 6 years.

This is anopther one of those, if you are serious about preparing, you need to do your research and ask questions NOW as part of that planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness