Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times

Advertisements

I'm not at all into the zombie, end-of-the world things - but how do you stock up on prescription meds. in case of power outages, terrible weather, etc.? "They" (insurance/prescription refillers) won't refill if it's not "time". (Husband is transplant recipient, those anti-rejection meds. cause diabetes, so he's that as well). There is no way we can get an extra supply of all those drugs just to have "in case".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Speak with your physician and be prepared to pay out of pocket for the extra-month or so that you may wish to pre-purchase in the form of "preps". People are sometimes able to purchase ahead when planning travel out of the country where they are unable to get re-fills. This may be one approach.

IIRC, there is another thread on this which addresses diabetes meds specifically and their shelf-life.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Thanks, there is a long list of meds., insulin being only one of them. Some of the meds. supposedly cost thousands of dollars each.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,968 times
Most pharmacies have an auto fill function.Place all your rx's on auto fill. Each auto fill will allow you a slight edge forward.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Most pharmacies have an auto fill function.Place all your rx's on auto fill. Each auto fill will allow you a slight edge forward.
There will be open, functional pharmacies with auto-fill computerized systems in place if SHTF?

OP, you would be out of luck in my opinion. If SHTF and it is THAT bad, Mother Nature will be the decision maker.

OD

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
There will be open, functional pharmacies with auto-fill computerized systems in place if SHTF?
I don;t think mortpes is talking baout when things go bad, but how to stockpile during the good time. The idea is that auto-fill hedges rx refills by a couple days. So instead of refilling a RX every 30 days for 30 pills, your refilling it for 30 pills but on a 26 day cycle. At the end of 12 months normally you would obtain 360 items, but with auto fill you get 387 in that same period, or 27 more.

Another way to stockpile is just ask your doctor for some samples, since they get many dumped on them. You may be able to get a couple months worth that way.

You can of course just pay for the rx yourself. There are ways to get a rx filled normally but also another rx you take to another pharmacy and pay for it yourself.

Don;'t discount the natural alternatives that can be used. A NMD should be consulted prior to the need (part of prepping) and this way you know all the options. Part of prepping requires that medical contingencies be planned for especially if a person has a condition. Chemical prescriptions may not be available or become too expensive, but how nice would it be if a person had a list of comparable alternative natural options (and a stickpile fo the items before needed)

Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,036,530 times
There aren't alternatives for rejection meds though.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
There aren't alternatives for rejection meds though.
Although there may not be any natural alternatives, in a prepping situation, it pays to consult a NMD who can provide all options. Even if the natural alternative is only 25% effective, that's 25% better than doing nothing and running out and sitting there saying "gee, what do I do now?".

I am fortuneate that I have no chronic illnes that requires prescription medication. But in additional to traditional first-aid/BLS supplies and meciations, I have a well defined list of natural alternatives. I can;t get heart attack medication because no doctor will write me a prescription for a healthy heart based on preparing. But I have several natural items I can buy and store if I wanted to because I researched these alternatives. Although there may be no alternatives, there probably are things that will at least help or comfort.

It's not replacing, as that's not always possible, but preparing requires that you at least know the options that may be available or that can be stockpiled. At least it gives you a reason to wonder through the "heathy folks store" that no real survivalist would go to.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Get to know your local pharmacist. If there's ever a drug shortage for whatever reason, they'll be able to find where there might be some extra drugs around (if there are any). We've been having drug shortages in Canada, for complex reasons, and the pharmacists are a great help in finding where there might be some drugs left. That's really all you can do, they don't give out big supplies of the stuff ahead of time due to the possibility of people selling them on the black market or abusing them as recreational drugs.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I don;t think mortpes is talking baout when things go bad, but how to stockpile during the good time. The idea is that auto-fill hedges rx refills by a couple days. So instead of refilling a RX every 30 days for 30 pills, your refilling it for 30 pills but on a 26 day cycle. At the end of 12 months normally you would obtain 360 items, but with auto fill you get 387 in that same period, or 27 more.

Another way to stockpile is just ask your doctor for some samples, since they get many dumped on them. You may be able to get a couple months worth that way.

You can of course just pay for the rx yourself. There are ways to get a rx filled normally but also another rx you take to another pharmacy and pay for it yourself.

Don;'t discount the natural alternatives that can be used. A NMD should be consulted prior to the need (part of prepping) and this way you know all the options. Part of prepping requires that medical contingencies be planned for especially if a person has a condition. Chemical prescriptions may not be available or become too expensive, but how nice would it be if a person had a list of comparable alternative natural options (and a stickpile fo the items before needed)
The Mexican population of the Big Bend area in Texas had something called "curandero" - a woman (curandera) or a man who were well versed in curing people with all sorts of herbs and diets that were local to the area. They were said to be able to cure any ailment that naturally occurred in the area. I wonder how much of that has been passed to today.

Native Indians had a similar thing but again, how much of that has been retained today? Who knows...

As for "Western" homeopaths, that has long been a business and as such there are a lot of fraudsters running around - I trust them as much as I trust a western MD (which is to say, not at all)...Finding someone who really knows what they are talking about and not selling snake oil is well, near impossible.

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness