Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how one go's about learning how to trap? I can't recall ever hearing about any kind of classes on this form of hunting? Is it just something you read up on and learn as you go or are there classes on offer? How about books that explain and detail how to set up traps?

The type of trapping I am interested in learning more about are what most seem to refer to as "cordage" traps. I would assume this is a type of trap you set up and when triggered, by say a deer or person the trap would snap into action and "tie up" for lack of a better term, the prey that triggered it?

Any books you could refer would be great and much appreciated. "learn to trap or die" they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I've been a survivalist since the Seventies. But I've always had natural moral boundaries. Trapping goes far beyond those boundaries. We owe an animal a humane death. Torturing an animal puts an individual into the category of Michael Vick. Over 90% of animals caught in leghold and similar traps try to chew off their legs.

The only legitimate traps are live traps for relocation and rescue. I have three mouse size traps to use in vehicles. Killing for food or defence is legitimate. Giving an animal a cruel and terror-ridden death is not.

Survivalist is not synonymous with savage.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've been a survivalist since the Seventies. But I've always had natural moral boundaries. Trapping goes far beyond those boundaries. We owe an animal a humane death. Torturing an animal puts an individual into the category of Michael Vick. Over 90% of animals caught in leghold and similar traps try to chew off their legs.

The only legitimate traps are live traps for relocation and rescue. I have three mouse size traps to use in vehicles. Killing for food or defence is legitimate. Giving an animal a cruel and terror-ridden death is not.

First and foremost, I enjoy reading what you write. I rarely remember people's pseudonyms in this forum. In fact, I'd guess you're probably one out of five or ten that I can actually remember, in a positive light that is. I'm temporarily bared from adding to your reputation due to city data forum rules that are beyond my limited understanding. Therefore, none of this is intended as a slight.

The topic starter asked a legitimate question about learning to trap and not about its moral or ethical issues. I'll go out on a limb here, since we're in the "Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness" forums, I would assume that this is for the most efficient means of food and fur procurement. Hence, trapping is the best method for finding both in a self reliance, self-sufficient lifestyle, or learning to prepare one's self for either of the these two situations. Therefore, morality and humanity is a very grey issue and a personal choice in my opinion.

Trapping has been an area I myself would like to explore. Kudos for starting this thread. I've only ever trapped for pest control, and it amazes me at how effective it is! I've stood guard over something in the backyard for hours on end. I've sometimes done this for a week only to give up in frustration. In a last ditch effort to rid myself of some destructive and or problematic pest, I've set traps. Within hours of setting the trap, I sometimes hear a snap, and there's the pest caught in the trap dead as a door nail. I can't get over how effective they are versus actually hunting the critter!

Like WhipperSnapper, I'm anxiously awaiting some advice from people experienced in trapping for food and fur procurement.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 09-27-2012 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: I am no Rhodes scholar...

Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:

That is simply not true. Using proper traps, no animals will attempt to chew themselves out. That myth comes from the days of people using the same big beaver traps on coons, muskrats, etc., which would result in problems. Using stop loss traps on muskrats and the proper smaller traps on raccoons eliminates the chewing.

Foothold traps were used when animals were reintroduced: beavers, fishers, martens, wolves and some others around various parts of North America. Cage traps can be more problematic because some animals will damage their teeth trying to chew the bars.

Conibear type traps kill instantly, though some animals won't go in them.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I was wondering how one go's about learning how to trap? I can't recall ever hearing about any kind of classes on this form of hunting? Is it just something you read up on and learn as you go or are there classes on offer? How about books that explain and detail how to set up traps?

The type of trapping I am interested in learning more about are what most seem to refer to as "cordage" traps. I would assume this is a type of trap you set up and when triggered, by say a deer or person the trap would snap into action and "tie up" for lack of a better term, the prey that triggered it?

Any books you could refer would be great and much appreciated. "learn to trap or die" they say.
You ask a legitimate question.

In Montana, we have a Trapper Education course taught by certified instructors through the state Department of Fish Wildlife and Parks.
There is a Rendezvous where advanced skills are taught each summer in coordination with the Montana Trappers Association.

You specifically mentioned "cordage" traps, which I take to mean a trap using cord or wire as part of the system. A net could be considered a cordage trap as well.

Probably the most basic form of this kind of trap is the snare. A loop of wire placed across a trail or a hole in the bushes. The animal's head passes through the loop, and the animal expires normally within a few seconds.

The second type of trap is the deadfall where a trigger is attached to a support that holds up a lightly balanced weight. There are several styles of trigger, the figure 4 and Piute are most common and easiest. There is a bait under the weight and when an animal moves the bait the weight falls and kills nearly instantly.

The kind of trap you mentioned that you see in the movies where a noose around the foot jerks the hero up into the air until some woodland nymph cuts the rope and drops them humorously on their head isn't exactly true to type, but does have some truth to it as there is a setup using a springy tree and chordage and a trigger to snare a foot, but I personally don't like it because while it holds until the animal is killed by the trapper, it is tricky to set up and not something you would want to try for the first time in a survival situation.

The best magazine I have ever found that teaches trapping techniques and options is Fur-Fish-Game || The Hunting, Fishing, & Fur Trapping Magazine for Practical Outdoorsmen. It is a very well researched and written magazine that has been in publication since 1925 and is an authority on all kinds of trapping.

Be aware if you wish to trap that there is a very viralent movement of animal rightests that would like to outlaw trapping. They spread a lot of disinformation and plain propaganda to try and turn the population against what is a very efficent way of harvesting food and controlling preditors and destructive animals.

The morals of taking any animal's life are up to the personal belifes of each individual. I wouldn't force someone to kill anymore than I would want someone to dictate to me how I should live.

Trapping is a very useful tool to have in your arsenal, but please note, to be effective you must know the target animal intimately, it's habits, it's likes and dislikes, where it lives, where it hunts or eats, what attracts it and how it's body is designed so you can quickly and humanely dispach it when it is caught through the mechanism of the trap.

If you don't know your target animal, you will set your trap in a place it never goes or worse, you can get an animal that you don't want, like a domestic cat or dog. Skunks are into everything and make a mess to dispose of even though the fur is pretty good.

Look in your area or check with your local Fish and Game, many times there are trappers associations close by and you may be able to join or meet people that can help you learn the skills you need.

Good Luck

Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
I did some quick checks and found that Ohio does have some resources available.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/18579/Default.aspx

And an association with resources available for beginners.
Ohio State Trappers Association

I have trapped for over 30 years now for all kinds of animals for several reasons. In all those years I have caught more animals than I can realistically remember, but I have only caught one that actually chewed their foot off, and I was able to take that animal as I was checking my line as it was getting loose.
I have never caught a species I didn't target.
If you work in an ethical, humane manner, trapping is no more cruel than any other method of converting an animal into usable proteins, fats and fur.

It is a skill, it is an art, and it is something not learned overnight as each animal and each set are so different you need to master a number of skills most importantly, where to set your trap and oder control.

Attractants and baits are almost a disipline in itself as there are so many different ways to attract your target animal.

If you decide to pursue this anyone should first check with the local governing authority to make sure that you are operating in a legal and ethical manner for your take.

In a survival situation, all bets are off to keep yourself alive, but if you are learning and operating during normal times, the legal aspect of licenses and certifications are important so you are working within the laws of the state you are practicing your craft in.

Trapping can be extravagant with lots of store bought traps and devices, or very simple with a strong cord and maybe some rocks or sticks of wood.
Your skill is what matters more than the device. Knowing the animal, where it lives, how it travels, what makes it curious are worth far more than the actual device because any number of traps will work, but knowing how to get the animal into the trap is the tricky part.

Again, Good Luck, and if I can answer any questions please feel free to ask either on the board or you can PM me.

Oh, one last thing, always treat the animal with respect and use everything from the animal you can. Do not waste an animal just so you can learn how to catch it, that is just the first step. Caring for the meat and fur are paramount to learning how to survive using natural resources.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Great advice MTS, thank you. Thanks for the links as well.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:06 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:

I've used leg holds for over 20 years now and I can say you are full of crap. I wish I could express my feelings more but the Mods will not let me. Even though you seem to be able to put me in a group with Micheal Vick I am not allowed to point out how stupid you are without getting an infraction. Is that fairness?

I can't wait to strip off another hide and rip out some guts so I can cook and eat that dead animal!

I still can't figure out why a snare question was answered with legholds and "Mr. Vick" anyway. Looking for the "Stinky Turd Of The Year" award here on City Data?

Please learn about trapping before posting such BS again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Hey WS, here is some info on trapping with some snare info.
Basic Sets

You really want to use wire but I also use ropes up to hogs (never caught a deer yet). You basically want to learn about snare triggers. Once you learn a few triggers there are really endless ways to make snares with ropes. Good luck killing and eating those furry beasts!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
As well as Fish and Wildlife, I would just start asking around your neighborhood.
I'll bet money, there's someone in the area that traps. I can think of a half dozen people off the top of my head that would be happy to show me what they know. (Particularly since they know I'm not in their immediate trapping area. lol)

Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM

72 posts, read 77,746 times
is FURFISHAND GAME still an in print magazine? Was for years a great resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness