Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

I lived alone for 12 years and enjoyed it before moving in with my roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 PM

108 posts, read 126,137 times
I use to envy the retirees, not having to get up in the mornings and putting myself together. Then it was my turn. I slept the day away, not wanting to do a thing. It really got bad. I seemed not to have a reason to get up! The housework would be here forever, all my friends still worked. I had some anxiety problems and didn't go out unless necessary. What to do? My DD had probs and asked to move in for a while with her 2 kids. That was 3 yrs ago. Now at 70 I have TOO much to do and love a moment or many hours alone where I spend some of it in bed. I just don't think I'm cut out for too much down time OR up time -lol. Can't seem to find a happy medium. I'm sure if they moved out, I'd go back to bed and that's scarey.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitnmiss View Post
I use to envy the retirees, not having to get up in the mornings and putting myself together. Then it was my turn. I slept the day away, not wanting to do a thing. It really got bad. I seemed not to have a reason to get up! The housework would be here forever, all my friends still worked. I had some anxiety problems and didn't go out unless necessary. What to do? My DD had probs and asked to move in for a while with her 2 kids. That was 3 yrs ago. Now at 70 I have TOO much to do and love a moment or many hours alone where I spend some of it in bed. I just don't think I'm cut out for too much down time OR up time -lol. Can't seem to find a happy medium. I'm sure if they moved out, I'd go back to bed and that's scarey.
Since retiring, I have gone through several phases.

The first 6 months was a strong desire to get up every morning and start to get ready for the day. Somehow I always found some stupid thing to do that required me to leave the house and go shopping or drive around and look at things.

Then there came the next 2 years where I was feeling worthless and I did something stupid, I went back to work. After a year of working and putting up with bosses that were 30 years younger then me and stone dumb, I realized why I retired and then I went back to the good life.

Its been 10 years now and I have settled into a very enjoyable life style. I sleep when I want, eat when I want, go shopping when I want (was at Wally world at 3 in the morning yesterday). When the weather is bad, I just look out the windows and think about the 40 years that I had to go to work in it. Thanks to 24 hour news, there is very little that I don't know about in the world. I don't feel alone, and am becoming more of an isolationist and I'm fine with that.

All in all, a pretty good life.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
As a husband of 42 years, a father of two daughters and the grandfather of six, you would think my days were filled with activity. And many of them are, as I adore my grandchildren and get along well with my wife, daughters, and their husbands. On weekends and holidays, there are lots of voices around here, and of course somebody is always just a phone call away.

But surprisingly I get a lot of time for myself. Whether I am working over at the shop (I have a trucking company, and will soon retire) or out on the road myself, I spend tons of time on my own. When I was younger, I was a professional dog handler in the showring, and that involved a lot of travel to dog shows, usually alone, and I'd sometimes be gone for 2 weeks at a time when a cluster of shows called me away. Back then I was a newly-wed and then a new father, and I would very much miss my young family. Those days were not so pleasant. I had a lot of responsibilities and took them very seriously.

But now that my family is grown and I don't have to worry so much about them needing me, I find that being by myself is enjoyable. I look forward to more of it after retirement and moving up north to our retreat. I do hunt and fish; mostly upland bird hunting with other buddies and their bird dogs, which is fun. But going fishing is something I can enjoy alone. I have four young grandsons who always want to go fishing, so nowadays even that time is getting crowded. But your grandkids are only young once...take the time with them while you can!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Garthur, that's great that you've settled into a nice routine.

I'm nowhere near to retiring age, but if I suddenly won the lottery or something else happened where I never had to work again, I'd be glad right this second & would gladly resign. I'd know how to keep myself busy for sure.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 PM

577 posts, read 992,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Garthur, that's great that you've settled into a nice routine.

I'm nowhere near to retiring age, but if I suddenly won the lottery or something else happened where I never had to work again, I'd be glad right this second & would gladly resign. I'd know how to keep myself busy for sure.
I think you have the key there. Keeping busy. I love living alone and always have. I have friends who ask me " Don't you get lonely being by yourself all the time"? Well, actually no I don't. I realize some folks need to be around other people all the time. I am not one of those that do. It's nice to hang out with friends etc. But I don't need to do it all the time. I'm not retired either, but I'm thinking as the old saying goes that you have to have a purpose to get out of bed for. Even if it's volunteering or playing golf, or whatever else you like.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM

111 posts, read 157,446 times
Been living alone a real long time back in the woods.Wouldnt have anyother way.Im round people at work but I always look for ways to work alone.I look forward to being off and going home where theres no people just my critters.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM

72 posts, read 77,746 times
If I've got the Net, and enough money for match attendance and adequate practice, I am fine alone, but I prefer to have my lovely young Filipina. :-)

Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
When I look back on when I was married, I think things would have been so much better if we'd had three small rooms. My room, where only I could go. His room, where only he could go and one to share to perchance sleep. I think most of the fights were as much about 'our space' as whatever we thought they were about. I've rented rooms and been happier, because at least the room was mine.

I love my house, small but big enough for me and the furry family. I love that I go to bed when I please and get up when I please. I love that my stuff remains just where I left it. I never have felt 'lonely' living alone. I go out when I need to, and have the internet and phone and I can leave my projects where I choose and not have to straighten up and mix them up.

Of course, not all people are designed for it, but I wonder how many, when they finally try, find that it really does suit them despite it being so looked down upon generally for so long.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
I love living alone. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness