Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I'm reading through this thread, and wondering how people over here in the UK would deal with such a catastrophe.
We have so many that have no idea how to get anything without buying, borrowing, or stealing. (Yes, I did say stealing)!

I was talking to my Wife about this hurricane, (she's from an estate background) and she said that back in 1987 when we had a hurricane here, and the estate she live on got a bit flooded, the people went crazy, after just a day. Their main concern was where go for a drink, not water, Alcohol!

I've still got a long way to go to retrain my Wife to think in a prepper way, but slowly, I'm getting there!
Which is why we bought a case of wine, 12 pack of Sam Adams, scotch brandy and run before Sandy arrived
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The woman in the video is just the end-product of a government which discourages foresight and self-reliance, in unholy alliance with one segment of our economy which has no incentive to throw away the rose-colored classes and deal with hard economc truth. She's learning a tough lesson, but it's just a matter of time before it will be repeated in some other city, via some other disaster, and likely on a larger scale.

Neither major party has manifested the guts necessary to confront this issue, primarily because the forum in which it can be most directly addressed (education) is in the thrall of Intense Political Correctness, and the agencies best equipped to deal with it (police and the military) are open to immediate villification as Fascistic, authoritarian, chauvinistic, insensitive --- or whatever!

Though hopefully, I won't be there to see it (and I still hope to live to a ripe old age) one of these years some functionary is really going to slip up, and the casualties might measure in four of five figures, and all we're likely to get from the Masters of Hype is another orgy of blame-throwing and sham-sensitivity.

We're still a nation with a legal system based on the rule of law and precedent, and it's to be hoped -- prayed that our Constituional safeguards won't be discarded in the name of expediency as the crises intensify, but some of the recent appointments to our Federal Courts --- by both parties, BTW --- lead me to suspect that this protection is in jeopardy as well.

So keep your eyes and ears open -- believe only half of what comes from Washington, and nothing of what comes from Madison Avenue.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-04-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'm in NJ and still without power. Everyone I know stocked up on canned food, water, etc., before the storm. (I also stocked up on cat food.) People who had freezers full of food are sharing the food with other people.

You can't just make a sweeping judgment about an entire area because you saw a couple of news items about people who didn't do what they should have done and then whacked your head leaping to the assumption that most people didn't prepare, because most people DID.

The biggest difference between this and other storms is how widespread it was this time. When Irene hit last year, I had no power for two days, but within a day I was able to drive to to the next town and find someplace that had light and power and even wifi. That's not been the case here. The next town and the next county and in some cases the borders in the next state didn't have power, either. People who normally would just drive an hour and stay with a relative or something found that the relative an hour away was in the same shape.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm in NJ and still without power. Everyone I know stocked up on canned food, water, etc., before the storm. (I also stocked up on cat food.) People who had freezers full of food are sharing the food with other people.

You can't just make a sweeping judgment about an entire area because you saw a couple of news items about people who didn't do what they should have done and then whacked your head leaping to the assumption that most people didn't prepare, because most people DID.

The biggest difference between this and other storms is how widespread it was this time. When Irene hit last year, I had no power for two days, but within a day I was able to drive to to the next town and find someplace that had light and power and even wifi. That's not been the case here. The next town and the next county and in some cases the borders in the next state didn't have power, either. People who normally would just drive an hour and stay with a relative or something found that the relative an hour away was in the same shape.
So true.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 AM

317 posts, read 576,573 times
@Jaggy, same here we stocked up on booze 2 5liter boxes of wine, 3 1/2 gallon bottles of bacardi and 2 cases of canadian molson

Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
@Jaggy, same here we stocked up on booze 2 5liter boxes of wine, 3 1/2 gallon bottles of bacardi and 2 cases of canadian molson
Next storm and I am coming to your place!
I either get out and help, which allows me the sights, or I party during storms.

i live a primitive life style left to my own, but where i am now has everything with or with out power since we can make power and run everything hose shop barn you name it for a long long time.

That part isn't my way of life but it is what it is. I still heat my bed room with up to 4 oil lamps, and would use wood of i could. The shop is 100% wood for heat.

Years ago in Mass on the coast I had been know to kayak in flooded streets during Nor' Easters, and throw parties lighting with these same lamps, running decent car stereo and tape (no cd back then) it was just a simple matter for a foreign car tech of that time.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,432 times
inconvenience is what city people get used to, just make as much as money you can, live in nice house pay high property tax and expecting convenience they think they entitle too. i think the response and recovery time from Sandy is excellence compare to when hurricane Andrew hit Miami in 1992, we lost power over 1 month, never seen any help, may be because we did not look for. thanks to the national guard block the major roads keep the looters out.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Question for all those convinced that the Sandy victims are idiots

It's not a case of idiocy.

It has a lot more to do with where you live and how you're situated. I've lived in apts in crowded urban areas, in a cabin in a remote rural area, and now in a typical ranch style place in a typical neighborhood with a small yard on a relatively quiet street.

If you're an urban apt dweller, you probably have very limited options; the best of which would be to leave the area, IF you have somewhere to go and the transportation to get there. You won't have storage space for lots of extra food or a garage to keep a generator and fuel in. You may not even own a car, since they're incredibly expensive to park in city centers. And under normal circumstances, public transport serves real well in most cities I've been to. But when it all comes to a halt like it did in NY and NJ this past week, that's when your vulnerability becomes evident.

It's a whole lot easier to be prepared when you have a home with some storage space and even easier when you have a generator in a rural area where lines at the gas station won't be hours long. When I was in that cabin, I felt like holding my own for a week or even longer would be no sweat whatsover, if it came to that. My biggest concern would have been downed trees blocking roads, because my chainsaw was on the small side and couldn't handle a big job like that.

We should all keep in mind that what works for each of us won't work for lots of other folks.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Which is why we bought a case of wine, 12 pack of Sam Adams, scotch brandy and run before Sandy arrived

It's never a bad idea to have the liquor cabinet stocked.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM

346 posts, read 786,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The ONLY thing I ran low on was cat litter, and boy was I pissed about that.

I ran to the local Super WalMart (Secaucus) yesterday I took care of business. By the way there was NO ONE on line, which was really eerie on a Saturday. The only section that was empty was the camping supplies.

They say another storm is on the way, get some cash on hand while you can.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness