Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,996,804 times

Advertisements

The news is just now full of folks who should have known better and have 0 supplies?

Why is it no one in a urban setting. maybe suburban setting have nothing. still?

These folks are waiting hours in line for a gallon of gas to run a gennie? How long will that last?

I see they are limited to 1 gallon each!

Others are miserable and thinking they will die because they have no heat!

What is it about modern man that lets them think this SHTF will never happen and when it does they are rendered cannon fodder?

A part of me wants to help the other part of me says let em go (die)

How can people be so STUPID?

I am not looking for any poly tics BS. I want to know why people think this will never happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Because they think FEMA will swoop in and provide them with everything.
Like there's a one to one ratio of FEMA workers to idiots that didn't prepare.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,628,304 times
Remember Katrina? The people who lived in areas where they depend upon the government (Democratic) made little or no preparation. In areas where people relied upon themselves (Republican) they had food and guns and other supplies. Yesterday I spoke with a good conservative Republican in Moosup, Connecticut; she had power but had a generator if she had lost it. She told me she could hold out for six months if necessary. She also told me that anyone who tried to take her supplies would take a bullet. She would have done fine after Katrina.

Nothing changes.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,996,804 times
I started this thread about 2 hours ago and now in poly tics and other contro's there is 2 similar threads..

Yeah i recall Kat i was almost there and there soon enough to go to work.... Locals were too proud to earn money at $220 a square to do shingles.... I did 10 square the first day and loved every second of it.

I had no problem getting tools loaned to me either. I showed up just looking for a room on a mc trip....

In the threads guys like us are saying how they feel bad. i don't think some guys like us are getting it yet. This is no kat storm this is in a more northern place, and the economy id down more than it was back then.

At this point the suffering is about to start... The shock of what happened is just wearing off..

I know Hell I been there too many times.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,765,914 times
Think of it, this was actually several magnitudes lower than what could have hit the East coast had it been August when the northern seas were warmer and the hurricane engine really could have cranked up.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,583,017 times
What gets me is that so many people evacuate and leave their pets behind - how can people do that? Especially seeing that they won't let these people go home, even after the storm. F that!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 AM

8,104 posts, read 12,830,851 times
It is my theory that there a lot more idiots in this world than I ever imagined. I can't understand WHY these people decided to wait until AFTER the storm to fuel their cars up. The same goes for their generators.

In my opinion people fail to prepare because they think that they will be taken care of by the government/Red Cross. In most cases they are correct however their failure is in believing this help will arrive immediately. Right on the FEMA website they suggest everyone prepare for at LEAST 72 hours. If you fail to prepare I don't want to see you on television complaining. YOU FAILED- don't blame anyone else.

I saw one woman that actually had to clean out her own flooded apartment complaining she isn't getting any help. HELLO? Since when is it someone else's duty to clean up your home after a storm?

Another "story" I saw was how people were "suffering" because they couldn't charge their cell phones and cell reception was bad. Give me a freaking break! You can't live without a cell phone?

The vast majority of people seem to cede their survival responsibilites to others. They think they will be "taken care of" by someone else and therefore do not need to do anything for themselves. In small natural disaters it may work out ok for them. If the eastern seaboard is ever hit with a multi-state disaster involving tens of millions- good luck.....

Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,947,173 times
Unfortunately I agree with all the posters,I have a generator and 7 five gallon containers on stand by,haven't had a problem for many years.last time was 7 days but was very comfortable.I do run generator every couple of months.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 AM

357 posts, read 1,020,549 times
people have to live where work available. those people with money don't depend on work for living are on the first flight to where the model convenience are. tents city in the south or luxury home/hotel is an option to keep warm, burning furniture in highrise apartments not a good idea hope it would not came to that.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM

30,342 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The news is just now full of folks who should have known better and have 0 supplies?

Why is it no one in a urban setting. maybe suburban setting have nothing. still?

These folks are waiting hours in line for a gallon of gas to run a gennie? How long will that last?

I see they are limited to 1 gallon each!

Others are miserable and thinking they will die because they have no heat!

What is it about modern man that lets them think this SHTF will never happen and when it does they are rendered cannon fodder?

A part of me wants to help the other part of me says let em go (die)

How can people be so STUPID?

I am not looking for any poly tics BS. I want to know why people think this will never happen to them?
I had these same questions after Wilma. I prepared even though they said it was going to be a 1. (Hardly.) I filled up my zip loc bags and water bottles 3/4 of the way and put them in the freezer, I had my canned goods, I had a propane stove, matches to light it, I had my Gilligan radio, batteries, flash light, filled up my gas tank, etc.

I was prepared for probably a good two weeks before I would need anyone to help me.

Wilma came in the early, early hours and in to the morning. I am not even kidding, withing HOURS, people were calling in to the radio station, (that I was listening to), and bitching up a storm that the government was not there to help them.

They needed water and ice, NOW!!!!!!

One woman called talking about how she couldn't feed her baby because the formula required water and her water was deemed unsafe to drink. DUH! WTF do you think people buy water for before a hurricane?!

The gas lines, the same. People in line for hours trying to get gas, gas was rationed, heated arguments, fist fights...why? Because you're too stupid to prepare?

The line for ice and water, (there was one near where I lived so I walked over to see what it was like), angry people, cars running and they are complaining that they are "running out of gas while waiting" for ice and water. TURN OFF THE ENGINE THEN!

Grocery stores...same thing. LONG lines. People surprised when they can't go in with their plastic because the store was running on a generator and did not have the ability to swipe that plastic. Cash only. Oh the hissy fits! Even though we were all told that this could happen and get some cash before the storm!

I decided to go in just to see what it would look like, (this was my third storm and I never bothered before). In line, most people were ok but some were very impatient and crying about things. In the store itself? What was the point of going to the store? There wasn't anything TO buy! It was pointless! The shelves were wiped clean of anything worthwhile.

The point is, with hurricanes, you get warning. It doesn't matter if it's a tropical storm or a Cat 1 or 2. Not getting water and ice, not getting food, not filling up your car and having gas for your generator, not having cash on hand....sorry, you're an idiot and I feel zero sympathy for you.

(I say only up to Cat 2 because frankly, at Cat 3 and beyond, I believe you should just get the hell out of dodge.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness