Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I agree with this, but mankind has adapted to electronics and would find it very difficult to survive without this technology. For instance, how many of us can exist without gasoline of desel fuel? Do you think we can get this without electric pumps? If something happens to our electric grid, most of us are history.
I MUST HAVE Led Zeppelin and Megadeth. Otherwise, life ain't worth livin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Read a book called "One Second After" , by William Forsthen. It is fiction but it will open your eyes up to how bad an EMP attack could effect the world we live in.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:21 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Read a book called "One Second After" , by William Forsthen. It is fiction but it will open your eyes up to how bad an EMP attack could effect the world we live in.
It's fiction, but well researched and not unrealistic. It scared the utter crap out of me, and is, frankly, the primary reason I own a so-called "assault weapon". I'd like to be able to hunt and protect myself and family if it ever happens. Unfortunately, due to the gun run, I can't get ammo right now, and though I have enough on hand for any run of the mill defense type scenario (home invasion, car jacking, whatever), I don't have enough for long term survival, and I can't find any anywhere.

Is it likely to happen in my lifetime? No. The last time one of sufficient strength to cause "one second after" type of damage occurred in 1868, over a century before I was born. But there will be a "next time", about that there is no doubt. The question is not "if", it's "when".

Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Man existed for thousands of years without electronics...a few million may not make it but man as a species will survive.
I agree. It would end modern civilization, And then it's back to the land and days of old. Farming, Hunting, Building and raking the soil.

The stress of no more modern conveniences especially would be too much for most people to handle on a psychological level even. As tech advanced, So did our dependance on it.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is OLD news. How 'bout something new and fresh???
Such as?

Do you really think I, or anyone else, is responsible for your entertainment?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Let's face it: our society is 100% enslaved to electronics. Everything we do in going about our daily lives relies totally on electricity and electronic devices. It's like a baby depending on mother's teet. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for relying so lopsidedly on that particular resource. In the event of an EMP or a magnetic pole shift, at the very least, all our lives would be unrecognizable within weeks, or probably days. At worst, of course, we die. Which I think a good chunk of the first and second world populace would. Some of the third world would--the one's who rely on the first and second world for resources. But another part of the third world would see minimal lifestyle change. These would be poor societies that have little contact with the outside world. And there aren't too many of those left around.

Personally, I don't see it as being so far-fetched as most people think it is. An EMP blast is certainly the best way to negatively affect a maximized group of people. Bombing a trade center or firing some rockets or even setting off a nuclear bomb is a drop in the bucket compared to the potential effects of an EMP event.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Well, I just looked up the 'One Second After' book. It was recommended on the floor of Congress, as something every American should read. Considering that someone on the floor of Congress also expressed concern that Guam could capsize if too many American soldiers arrived there... ...well, I'm having doubts about the book.

But ya know... If I were a foreign power with a Nuclear Pulse Machine thingie, I'd prep my target by bribing its pitiful excuse for a 'government' to round up all the 'assault weapons' in private hands. That way, the hostile foreign power would meet with greatly reduced resistance, as its forces swept across the land.

Thanks, Adam Lanza! Thanks a bunch! You made it so much easier for the bad guys!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Dentalfloss worries:
"I don't have enough for long term survival, and I can't find any anywhere."

Make your own. It requires some study, but it isn't really more complicated than any other simple assembly of components. Find somebody local who is experienced and they will help you out. I cast my first bullet in 1946.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
An EMP might collapse the economy. My money is on 0bama beating the EMP to the punch by many, many years.

Either way, your preparations should be roughly the same.

YC.......

Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I am not worried about an EMP attack as that is basically going to start a nuke war and MAD rules are in play there.

However, if the sun has another solar burst like it did in 1850ish then it will have a similar if less extensive impact that will make things pretty dicey here in the US for a while (assuming it hits our side of the planet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness