Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:30 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times

Advertisements

Going without a refrigerator? Considering spoilage and lower shelf life, not sure thats a good idea. Energy efficient refrigerators are widely available these days.

Your idea on the chest freezer being more efficient seems legit.

If you are able to keep the ice chest around 40 degrees, it would work. Seems like a helluva lot of maintenance over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
Which uses more energy? An upright refrigerator or a chest freezer? It seems to me that when you open a refrige the cold air falls out because cold air is heavier. In a chest freezer, the cold air would pretty much stay put. So if a person just had a freezer to freeze the ice and an ice chest, that would take less energy, right?

Last edited by ColoGuy; 07-04-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Coos Bay, Oregon:
The oceanic climate of the Oregon/Washington coastline is very appealing to me. It's similar to western Europe and has the same plant hardiness zone as south Texas, Florida and other southern states. If I could just enjoy the cool temps and beautiful scenery, ignoring all other factors (political, etc.), it would be ideal, assuming I could tolerate the 30-60 day periods of no sunshine. I won't rule it out until I spend more time there.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Same here. As I write this (8:46 pm, Friday July 3rd), Bangor Maine is 69F and Jackson, TN is 76F. (Jackson is much closer to our TN place than Chattanooga). Only 7 degrees difference. However, during the day today, Bangor was far more comfortable (about 77F at noon) than Jackson (about 89F at noon).

Tennessee is a state of extreme temps, which I have trouble with, esp in summer. My BIL is down there now, doing some finish work on the place. He is of French descent, and enjoys the heat. I am of Norwegian descent, and definitely do not!
For some reason I thought you were in eastern TN but now I see you are in or near the gulf coastal plain region of TN. I grew up not so very from there and I can confirm that summers are miserably hot. Your bil was having a very good day at only 89 in July. As you go east and the elevation increases, the climate changes. You probably have a long growing season of 230 days or more whereas some parts in the eastern half of TN have only 130 day season.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:59 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
You probably have a long growing season of 230 days or more whereas some parts in the eastern half of TN have only 130 day season.
I am looking seriously at that long growing season. We have about 325 head of poultry here in Maine, and we were going to expand it next year in Maine, but now, I don't think so. I think TN is the place to do that.

Instead of trying varieties of fruit trees that don't grow well - if at all - in Maine, we may just plant them at the TN place. Trees such as sweet cherries, apricots, peaches...will all grow better in TN.

I can't more the garden down there, as I could never tend it during that summer heat. We'll see....

Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I am looking seriously at that long growing season. We have about 325 head of poultry here in Maine, and we were going to expand it next year in Maine, but now, I don't think so. I think TN is the place to do that.

Instead of trying varieties of fruit trees that don't grow well - if at all - in Maine, we may just plant them at the TN place. Trees such as sweet cherries, apricots, peaches...will all grow better in TN.

I can't more the garden down there, as I could never tend it during that summer heat. We'll see....
I have been heat intolerant since birth so western TN may not affect you as badly as me. As I age, I am becoming cold intolerant too. I haven't found that happy place of 60-70 year round temps. Until then, I avoid exposure to midsummer heat by growing early and late harvest varieties, and utilize a greenhouse to keep fresh greens growing all winter.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:31 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I have been heat intolerant since birth so western TN may not affect you as badly as me. As I age, I am becoming cold intolerant too. I haven't found that happy place of 60-70 year round temps. Until then, I avoid exposure to midsummer heat by growing early and late harvest varieties, and utilize a greenhouse to keep fresh greens growing all winter.
I am from California, I rarely recommend to anyone to move to California.

For your issues; consider the San Luis Obispo, CA to Arroyo Grande, Ca, region. When I was a teenager I knew people who lived there and they loved it specifically for the year-round temps.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 AM

400 posts, read 414,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Going without a refrigerator? Considering spoilage and lower shelf life, not sure thats a good idea. Energy efficient refrigerators are widely available these days.

Your idea on the chest freezer being more efficient seems legit.

If you are able to keep the ice chest around 40 degrees, it would work. Seems like a helluva lot of maintenance over the years.
OK. How come there are no chest refridgerators? Cold air sinks.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Maybe Simply should consider the dry sides of the Hawaiian islands. This is such a Goldilocks thread hehe.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am from California, I rarely recommend to anyone to move to California.

For your issues; consider the San Luis Obispo, CA to Arroyo Grande, Ca, region. When I was a teenager I knew people who lived there and they loved it specifically for the year-round temps.

I know how to compromise and work around less than perfect factors. It's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
This is such a Goldilocks thread hehe.
Just this thread, or practically all of them?

Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Oh its just city data in general, especially Oregon "Looking for a place thats not too cold and not too hot but is just right, is lush and green but it doesn't rain and is sunny all the time A sleepy town with lots of jobs and a booming economy and not crowded or traffic problems. Great schools and no crime. Not touristy but lots of art galleries. Low priced organic food stores. In the middle of no where but with great shopping options and first rate modern hospitals, Right on the coast with low cost housing, in the mountains but doesn't snow in the winter, and oh yes, we are from California".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness