Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
WTF are you talking about?
You said you didn't have "time for that" and I said that the process could be automated so it did take any time at all (at least from people). That's what the **** I was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You said you didn't have "time for that" and I said that the process could be automated so it did take any time at all (at least from people). That's what the **** I was talking about.
You live quite a fantasy life!

No, there's no point in any of that. No one has time for it. No one has the budget for that. and no one cares.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
You live quite a fantasy life!

No, there's no point in any of that. No one has time for it. No one has the budget for that. and no one cares.
Ah-ha... now you get what I had originally intended. I was agreeing with you. The idea is that when Person A makes a statement, Person B can make a statement on the opposite side of the argument to such a ludicrous extreme so as to make Person A's point all the more plausible.

Satire: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly.

You didn't catch the satire in my post or the post you responded to just before mine.

The bottom line, beneath all of the side arguments though, is that collecting zip codes at the register is a waste of everyone's time in the first place, and should be discontinued for that reason alone. How much time and money is wasted on extracting that little tidbit?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
I don't know... the technology is there. My workplace has a license plate scanner in the parking lots. They could set up something like that in the parking lot entrances at the local walmart, pay the government off to allow access to the DMV database only enough to extract zip code info, and "poof"... no more arguments at the registers!

Of course, what if granny from ND was driving granddaughters car in AZ while snowbirding during the winter? Hmmm. Maybe more specific access to those databases and some form of tracking technology?

they make sprays so that cameras cannot take pictures of your license plates. it does work.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Ah-ha... now you get what I had originally intended. I was agreeing with you. The idea is that when Person A makes a statement, Person B can make a statement on the opposite side of the argument to such a ludicrous extreme so as to make Person A's point all the more plausible.

Satire: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly.

You didn't catch the satire in my post or the post you responded to just before mine.

The bottom line, beneath all of the side arguments though, is that collecting zip codes at the register is a waste of everyone's time in the first place, and should be discontinued for that reason alone. How much time and money is wasted on extracting that little tidbit?
Ah! Ok, gotcha.

Well, it really takes such a pinch of time. The customer is still at the counter when the question pops up on the screen. If they are gone, or I'm in a hurry too, I just put in a local zip.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
they make sprays so that cameras cannot take pictures of your license plates. it does work.

Yeah, it's called black spray paint! LOL

I believe Mythbusters proved none of those anti-plate-picture doohickeys worked.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Should you tell stores your ZIP code? Privacy advocates say no - Business on NBCNews.com

Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Truly, a significant number of people are halfwits. Why does it matter if a merchant has a customer's address and phone number? Do people think the merchant plans to mail letter bombs and packages of bubonic? Call them in the middle of the night and threaten to kill their children if they refuse to buy more? Going to court because a merchant sends a catalog? That reeks of a garbage lawsuit but with a big settlement. Do these same people sue because they were burned by coffee which was unexpectedly hot? I'm sure of it.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Its a privacy issue!!!!

Now its just your zip code,NEXT IT WILL BE YOUR ADDRESS,PHONE #,ETC......

Dont give in!!!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Those have been around since the early 00's but the reality is most cameras are deliberately set up to photograph at an angle so it isn't a problem. Sure, at $20 it can't hurt to spray some on your plate but realize that unless the red light camera was made and installed prior to ~2005 it won't work.

Alternatively, you could do what I did and just live in a place where there are no red light camera. They used to be around here but the city removed them all because so many people complained and because it was shown those cameras actually increase accident rates instead of lower them, remember, the original claim to justify installing the cameras was public safety so it's hard to say it isn't just a naked money grab when the cameras cause accident rates to spike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness