Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Waiting till it drops below 1000 before I buy more physical again.

I'm really looking hard at the Combi-Bars. You'll figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I'll back up bollio-loco. I grew up during those years and even if I avoided the prosperity part they were good years. The upper crust of this country became very threatened when factory workers could afford vacations in Miami and trips to National Parks so they turned the economy around beginning with the Vietnam War. The prosperity of the lower and middle working people has been successful transferred to the top 1% and all is right with the world.

BTW – Gold is a suckers market just as real estate once was. It is vastly overpriced.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
BTW – Gold is a suckers market just as real estate once was. It is vastly overpriced.
I'm beginning to agree with this. And it's likely by design (I mean beyond the advertisers that want to sell you gold IRAs and cute little koala coins); another way to siphon wealth.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I covered this on my radio show last Friday. People who bought a few rounds of gold or silver have begun to request for delivery of the metal they "own". Those who sold the certificates have told the "owners" there may be "some delay" in shipment. Gee, What a surprise. Fractional reserve has come to precious metals. Of course this has been happening for thousands of years, but each generation is somehow surprised at this.

A hundred years ago in 1913 you could buy a cow with a $20 gold piece. Today you can buy a cow with that same gold piece, so what has happened? The real value of gold has not changed. The real value of a cow has not changed, but a $20 FRN does not get you very far down the meat counter.

Germany has asked for the gold we hold for them to be shipped back to Germany. Uh, there might be some delay in the shipment of the gold you own. Where have we heard that before? The system is unraveling folks. Take delivery of the metal you own. Do it now.

Tick, tick, tick.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Depends on which gold you're talking about -- "paper gold" or "physical gold". You can't buy physical for spot (the paper price) anymore; the premiums are so high that you end up paying the price from last year for physical. Furthermore, as NMLM said, physical gold and silver are getting hard to find in any quantity. You can still get it on eBay for an outrageous price; those prices will not seem so outrageous soon.

It will come to pass: if you don't have any gold or any silver (physical), you won't have any money. Take it from an "old" guy.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:10 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
There used to be bins full of "silver rounds" at the local coins shops around here that were bought and sold regularly. Now there is absolutely nothing. The coin shop is taking prepaid orders on new rounds with no idea when they will actually arrive--months out at best.

It's an interesting situation with the spot price on gold and silver being so low, yet there is none to be found. In an "un-tampered with" market, that would NEVER happen. Of course, the gold/silver market has a lot of "vapor" in it--many folks own "gold" in an empty vault somewhere. I think something is really fishy, but I'm not sure which way to go with my thinking on this. I mean, really, it's not like the dollar is in such great shape. It's value hasn't suddenly gone through the roof--no prices have suddenly fallen drastically. Interesting situation.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Commodities like gold are usually a bad long term investment compared to other options.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:27 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
I'll back up bollio-loco. I grew up during those years and even if I avoided the prosperity part they were good years. The upper crust of this country became very threatened when factory workers could afford vacations in Miami and trips to National Parks so they turned the economy around beginning with the Vietnam War. The prosperity of the lower and middle working people has been successful transferred to the top 1% and all is right with the world.

Indeed it is. It also makes a horrible alternative currency as you'd have to hacksaw off bits of it even if you could get someone willing to exchange actual goods for it.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Ever hear of "pieces of eight"? An "eight" was 1/8 of a Spanish Silver Doubloon. They physically cut the original coin in pieces for smaller transactions.

After reading about this '"vapor" gold I am doubly glad I refrained from buying any.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Ever hear of "pieces of eight"? An "eight" was 1/8 of a Spanish Silver Doubloon. They physically cut the original coin in pieces for smaller transactions.

After reading about this '"vapor" gold I am doubly glad I refrained from buying any.
The Norse used what they called "Hack Silver" which was an armband made from silver that you used an ax to "hack" off a piece to pay for what you were buying.

The pieces of eight were also the reason we call a quarter "2 bits", half dollar is "4 bits", 3/4 of a dollar is "6 bits".

Probably the only time the younger folks have heard about this is in high school cheers. 2 bits 4 bits 6 bits a dollar, all for the XXXXXX stand up and hollar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness