Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 AM

13,139 posts, read 21,059,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbguy View Post
And as far as it being un-lawful to own gold, it still is technically, the law was never rescinded.
Didn't it get repealed by P.L. 93-373 on Dec 31, 1974. I think only demanding payment in gold or setting fixed prices for gold is still illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,220,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
A new fancy-smancy $100 bill will be coming out this Oct 8th... It is suppost to make counter fitting real hard in the future ...from what I have read and they even have a Video about this new bill, They state that all old $100 bills will be fine and stay in circulation (you don't have to swap them out for the new bills) Ok, that's what they say today....I have been having flash backs, I have a lot of family in Ireland and i keep thinking of when they got sucked into the Euro from the pound....they set a dead line to convert the pound, well people who scraped n saved on the side doin whatever got Nailed 50% when the walked into the bank with their cash stash...
Here i could even see 100% confiscation if one couldn't be proven where you got it, you have no paper trail, Sorry...
I mean this is a country that once outlawed private gold ownership-BOOM' .... I could see them pulling this down the road, I mean Banks and wall street are in control , they now make the laws...

yaa' new bill

NewMoney.gov

I have quite a few old bills and will refuse to turn them in at all. I do think that gold and silver will still be able to be bartered with.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Lightbulb This is 100% under your control

Quote:
A new fancy-smancy $100 bill will be coming out this Oct 8th... It is suppost to make counter fitting real hard in the future ...from what I have read and they even have a Video about this new bill, They state that all old $100 bills will be fine and stay in circulation (you don't have to swap them out for the new bills) Ok, that's what they say today....I have been having flash backs, I have a lot of family in Ireland and i keep thinking of when they got sucked into the Euro from the pound....they set a dead line to convert the pound, well people who scraped n saved on the side doin whatever got Nailed 50% when the walked into the bank with their cash stash...
Here i could even see 100% confiscation if one couldn't be proven where you got it, you have no paper trail, Sorry...
I mean this is a country that once outlawed private gold ownership-BOOM' .... I could see them pulling this down the road, I mean Banks and wall street are in control , they now make the laws...

yaa' new bill

NewMoney.gov

1. gather up all of your current "old" 100 dollar bills

2. go to your bank this week

3. exchange them for twenties

4. problem solved

Old 06-20-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
1. gather up all of your current "old" 100 dollar bills

2. go to your bank this week

3. exchange them for twenties

4. problem solved

nah, every old $100 bill I have in storage was made before 1980.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,328,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nah, every old $100 bill I have in storage was made before 1980.

Could you explain what the point of that is?

Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Could you explain what the point of that is?

no strips and they are old bills.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,465,877 times
Old bills are still legal tender, despite multiple changes in design and features that have occurred in recent history (e.g. the $5 bill, the $20 bill, etc.) The idea is to stop manufacturing the old bills in favor of the new bills, and letting the old bills fall out of circulation as they wear out.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM

90 posts, read 344,629 times
I work for a department store, and I have found it interesting lately how much "old" money is coming in. The kids don't know what to do with it, some of the bills are older than they are. No security strips, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've been "need a manager'd" over to some register because there's no security tab on a small face $100 or $20. Shows the economy is bad - people are digging into their old old stashes of money and piggy banks to buy their Kcup machines, tank tops, and Adidas flips.

I tell ya, if counterfeiters were REALLY smart, they'd be making those old bills and putting them into circulation. Stores and such aren't equipped to verify they are real, we just accept old bills as legitimate. I work in the vault & keep having this paranoid feeling that someday, the bank is going to make us separately band the "old" bills together to save them the time of dealing with them.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
Quote:

yaa' new bill

NewMoney.gov
I hope OP does realize that banks are used to remove worn bill of all denominations .Paper money does not last forever in circulation. A conspiracy can be dreamed up about almost anything if one wants to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness