Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I see this as one of the very few things that will help one survive and retain sanity in a pre SHTF world as well. The more "far removed" the better. We disagree on one thing even in this sentence, though: there is no such thing as "normal society" in our age.

You know, you shouldn't believe everything you read here. Anyone here can say anything they want to, or not say anything they don't want to. There are certainly helpful posts by helpful people writing about helpful topics. But their are smokescreens as well. And understandably so. I could be a fourteen-year-old girl for all you know. And you could be an NSA spy for all I know. This is not the place, in my opinion, to reveal "personal truisms."
Yes I understand and agree with your conjecture, but my bone of contention is that I know people, many suburban and city people in real life that are doomsday prepping, and there are many people here that reek of it as well.

Cheers and thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 07-29-2013 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:07 AM

229 posts, read 317,330 times
Let me see, let me see, the worst, Uh, The US goes to war with China, loses, of course and the Chinese army walks in here. One question: why would you want to be alive when that happens?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
Let me see, let me see, the worst, Uh, The US goes to war with China, loses, of course and the Chinese army walks in here. One question: why would you want to be alive when that happens?
I can think of a million situations people have lived through that that I can ask the question, why did they even try to live through that?

But where do you draw your line? If an earthquake hits your area, why would you want to be alive when that happens? If you develop a serious disease, why would you want to be alive when that happens? If you lose your job, why would you want to be alive when that happens? If a bad storm comes and your power goes out for a couple days, why would you want to be alive when that happens? If your car breaks down, stranding you, why would you want to be alive when that happens? I suppose there are people out there who would lose the will to live if they developed a hangnail. But that's not the norm.

In my view, this country is a toilet compared to what it was when I was younger. I guess the question could be asked, why do I want to live now that this has happened? I'm not suicidal yet. Why? Well, I guess the reason is the same for all of these questions. Because we live--that's what we're programmed to do.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
In my view, this country is a toilet compared to what it was when I was younger. I guess the question could be asked, why do I want to live now that this has happened? I'm not suicidal yet. Why? Well, I guess the reason is the same for all of these questions. Because we live--that's what we're programmed to do.
You should try moving to South America.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
You should try moving to South America.
Eeh, I actually lived there for a short time (ex-wife is Peruvian). And I have considered Uruguay and Chile as well.

Aside from being always the "outsider," it wasn't bad. Certainly different life philosophies in those cultures (at least where I was in Peru). Loved the language. Loved the (for the most part) warm, down to earth, non-pretentious, non-high-strung people. Problem is, the downsides are significant enough to more-or-less outweigh the benefits. Especially the political factors these days. Especially for a gringo. Even at that, I still have days that I actually ponder it.

But, for me, a move to someplace like Greenland, Arctic Canada, Falklands, or South Georgia Island would be a better choice. The closest South America would come is Tierra del Fuego on the southern tip of Chile. But even that is a bit too populated for my tastes... eh... then again, Punta Arenas, Chile would work. Puedo hacerlo.

Ho-hum... back to reality. Guess I'll stick with North Dakota. No South American babes there, though.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM

229 posts, read 317,330 times
Sorry, I should have made it clear that I didn't take this thread seriously, hence my stupid answer. I don't believe one moment the chinese military will walk in Washington, DC.

You mean there was a better America once?
Chris C, really America is a toilet today compared to what it used to be?
Let me get this straight: America today is worse than the one that implemented slavery, the genocide of the Natives, destroyed arable land of Vietnam with agent orange? I forgot segregation and public lynching as recently as the 1030s. Really, it used to be better?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
The primary situation that concerns me is natural disaster. Fire and earthquake, causing power outage and food/water concernes. I can run my well on generator power, pumping just enough for sanitary needs and drinking, and heat can be supplied without power. Food and medical supplies are also stocked up enough for at least a week to ten days.

If the power gets knocked out, I can get by fine. Not indefinitely, but enough to, hopefully, make it to service restoration. I could also, should the need arise, bug out and still have heat, food and shelter, without any outside help.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
Sorry, I should have made it clear that I didn't take this thread seriously, hence my stupid answer. I don't believe one moment the chinese military will walk in Washington, DC.

You mean there was a better America once?
Chris C, really America is a toilet today compared to what it used to be?
Let me get this straight: America today is worse than the one that implemented slavery, the genocide of the Natives, destroyed arable land of Vietnam with agent orange? I forgot segregation and public lynching as recently as the 1030s. Really, it used to be better?
With the good comes the bad, for some people. Can't make everyone happy.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Stuff like this:

In Photos: The Great Blackout of 2003 -- Daily Intelligencer

Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
But here's what's more likely in a blackout.

"Looting and vandalism were widespread, hitting 31 neighborhoods, including most poor neighborhoods in the city. Possibly the hardest hit were Crown Heights, where 75 stores on a five-block stretch were looted, and Bushwick, where arson was rampant with some 25 fires still burning the next morning. At one point two blocks of Broadway, which separates Bushwick from Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, were on fire. Thirty-five blocks of Broadway were destroyed: 134 stores looted, 45 of them set ablaze. Thieves stole 50 new Pontiacs from a Bronx car dealership.[1] In Brooklyn, youths were seen backing up cars to targeted stores, tying ropes around the stores' grates, and using their cars to pull the grates away before looting the store.[1] While 550 police officers were injured in the mayhem, 4,500 looters were arrested.[1]
Mayor Abe Beame spoke during the blackout about what citizens were up against during the blackout and what the costs would be.
"We've seen our citizens subjected to violence, vandalism, theft and discomfort. The Blackout has threatened our safety and has seriously impacted our economy. We've been needlessly subjected to a night of terror in many communities that have been wantonly looted and burned. The costs when finally tallied will be enormous."[5]
"During New York's 2003 blackout, the New York Times ran a description of the blackout of 1977:
Because of the power failure, LaGuardia and Kennedy airports were closed down for about eight hours, automobile tunnels were closed because of lack of ventilation, and 4,000 people had to be evacuated from the subway system. ConEd called the shutdown an "act of God", enraging Mayor Beame, who charged that the utility was guilty of "gross negligence."
In many neighborhoods, veterans of the 1965 blackout headed to the streets at the first sign of darkness. But many of them did not find the same spirit. In poor neighborhoods across the city, looting and arson erupted. On streets like Brooklyn's Broadway the rumble of iron store gates being forced up and the shattering of glass preceded scenes of couches, televisions, and heaps of clothing being paraded through the streets by looters at once defiant, furtive and gleeful.
"The looters were looting other looters, and the fists and the knives were coming out," Carl St. Martin, a neurologist in Forest Hills, Queens, recalled years later. A third-year medical student living in Bushwick when the blackout hit, recalled he spent the night suturing a succession of angry wounds at Wyckoff Heights Hospital.
Before the lights came back on, even Brooks Brothers on Madison Avenue was looted. On July 17, the first Sunday after the blackout, a priest named Gabriel Santacruz looked out at the congregation in St. Barbara's Church in Bushwick and jokingly referred to the "act of God", declared by ConEd when he said, "We are without God now."[6]
In all, 1,616 stores were damaged in looting and rioting. 1,037 fires were responded to, including 14 multiple-alarm fires. In the largest mass arrest in city history, 3,776 people were arrested. Many had to be stuffed into overcrowded cells, precinct basements and other makeshift holding pens. A congressional study estimated that the cost of damages amounted to a little over US$300 million."

New York City blackout of 1977 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Want more?

Los Angeles Riots, 1992 News Footage (4) - YouTube

Now the good guys:

La Riots store owners protect store with guns - YouTube

This wouldn't have happened before the country became a toilet.

The underclass have come out of their holes. They're just as bad as we thought and said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness