Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 17,654 times

Advertisements

Hi, this seemed like the most relevant thread for this topic. I'm wondering what cities or areas are best, SAFEST, for homeless women. I'm not homeless--yet--but in my present situation, I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, as they say.

I'm not disabled, not an addict, no children (except for one beloved cat). I'm in an area of suburban Atlanta where resources for the homeless are inadequate, and it gets cold enough here to be a problem in winter. I'm looking very hard for a job but so far only have a seasonal job that's giving me just one shift per week. I've opened up my job search to other states and am actually getting interview requests. Can't really afford to travel for an interview though. Some businesses say hey, we like your resume, come in once you've moved. Not before. So it may end up with putting my cat in a foster home, buying a one-way ticket and taking a chance. I'd rather have more information on being possibly homeless, at least for a time, in these areas (my native Florida).

I don't have family to go to, and friends are unable to take me in. My roommates and I have faced job loss and cuts in hours so I don't know what will happen. Of course, a job could come up tomorrow and things would be better. But in case it's not...

Anyone know of resources for women who are homeless or possibly about to be, how to survive, etc.? My savings are low. I've never been homeless before. I'm Christian and a celibate, so shacking up with someone is not an option. Though even some church people have suggested that to me.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

~C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 04:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Do you have a computer and a phone. If you do you can be working today for places selling phone sex and psychic readings. Good people make good money. Restaurants there area are hiring today. Make the rounds.

The list goes on and on.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:50 PM

...Have been making the rounds, for the past few months. Still trying. Still am looking for the answers to my questions just in case, though.

Phone sex and psychic readings?! As a Christian there are some jobs I wouldn't do, and those are two.

~C

Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Not suggesting a big move with no firm job offer, but in my area, jobs are pretty easy to come by right now (metro Utah areas). Of course, it depends on how picky your are, but typical jobs (generally lower paying) aren't hard to find in this area. Lot's of service jobs, retail, and general type work--especially if you are dependable, presentable, and at least marginally cultured. Some of these places are crying for decent, upright, dependable people that do not look like they belong in a sideshow. They are getting harder to find in our current social state of affairs.

Good luck in your quest...

Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
There is no place that is safe for a woman to be homeless. If you are not a drunk or addict, you aren't wackadoodle crazy, and you are willing to work, you can always take a live-in housekeeping job until you can find something.

The pay isn't brilliant but it will keep you off the streets until you can find something better.

What jobs are you qualified for? Maybe someone will know that their area is a place to find that sort of work. It's not a bad idea to move to where the jobs are, but you must know where the jobs are in order to do that.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCaretaker View Post
...Have been making the rounds, for the past few months. Still trying. Still am looking for the answers to my questions just in case, though.

Phone sex and psychic readings?! As a Christian there are some jobs I wouldn't do, and those are two.

~C
I've had a psychic consulting business for over twenty years and have earned a good income the entire time. Many of my clients have been with me for years and have become friends. There's nothing religious about psychic work. It's no more religious than touching, tasting, smelling, hearing, or seeing. Anyone can make use of it. Kurt Saxon, the man who first used the term survivalist, wrote a pamphlet years ago on the subject. He believes that psychic ability is normal and the lack of it is a defect akin to colorblindedness. Certainly the survivalist must have psychic ability or be keenly intuitive. The two are different facets of the same ability.

Your failure to do what's necessary to survive is the cause of your predicament. Life isn't all doing what pleases us. You say you love your cat but seem to feel nothing much concerning abandoning him. Get off of your high horse and go to work.

I should mention that I can conduct my business from anyplace I choose. I can lie in bed when I do it. All I need is a telephone.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I live in Atlanta, call 211 which is United Way here in Atlanta and they will refer you to some shelters. Metro Atlanta does have shelters also that will help with your cat or let you keep your cat.

The Salvation Army has a large network of emergency housing solutions for homeless in Atlanta and many have specific women's shelters that can help you get back on your feet. Since you are single, you will be easy to place.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Default For Happy in Wyoming

If you have a problem with Christians, "Happy," then I suggest you cover that in a different forum. I do have standards I won't part with even if the alternative is being on the street (nothing sex industry, including phone sex, and no "psychic" consulting if I'm not psychic, which I'm not). I already have a foster home set up for my cat if I have to be temporarily homeless, so she would be cared for. With only a Safelink cellphone I am hardly in a position to do a phone consultation business. I'm selling my laptop and anything else I have of value. I have and continue to apply for any job I'm even marginally qualified for. I'm 48 and often told I'm "overqualified" for some jobs. I'm also competing for a lot of jobs with university students in the area who have a car (I don't, anymore) and don't really need the money. Regardless, I keep trying.

Even if I do find a job soon, it may be too late to keep a roof over my head, at least temporarily.

If you, or anyone else, can't answer my original question of resources/advice for women who might end up homeless, kindly don't post a reply here. I'm serious about this.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
I just today stumbled across this thing called 'housesitting' where people let you stay in their house if you take care of it and usually their pets too. Some of them were permanent offerings like 'caretaker wanted for my 4 acre property - cleaning, taking care of pets, etc. for free room and maybe board. I would look into that.

the website that has this info as well as a lot of other stuff is
Where to Stay for Free Around the World

you never know what you might find. I was thinking, if I was homeless and jobless, I would so do this.

Also, I'd look into 'live in companion' jobs... there are a lot of older people whose families do not want them in nursing homes and they want to stay in their house but need someone else there.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCaretaker View Post
If you have a problem with Christians, "Happy," then I suggest you cover that in a different forum. I do have standards I won't part with even if the alternative is being on the street (nothing sex industry, including phone sex, and no "psychic" consulting if I'm not psychic, which I'm not).
You posted on the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness subforum. This is not the place to have kind people kiss away your tears. This is the place for those who refuse to give up, for for those who refuse to bow to adversity. Read some of the other threads here if you don't believe me.

This is not the place to insult those of us who plan tp prosper and survive in the face of danger. We're the same sort of people who fought back in NOLA against the savages after Hurricane Katrina. We're the same sort who fight for freedom daily and who carve our own world out of chaos. We do get those who hate us because we're not government sycophants, because we scoff at the idea of accepting charity, because we yearn for a society in which those who won't work perish. We're the people who built civilization.

Talk about finding a cheap place where you can raise some food and independent life and where you can earn some money. Then you'll be part of our world rather than just another angry interloper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness