Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,113,205 times

Advertisements

We all learn by the mistakes we make earlier in life. Some people learn faster than others. I would not stand beside the road holding a sign hoping for help from a stranger, I would get off my butt and find a job. I don't care what anyone says, there are jobs to be had for those who are willing to find them and work. Today too many people want the pay check, but not the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM

45 posts, read 161,188 times

As I expected, this thread is divided between two types of replies to a mother seeking ideas and ways to help her son in who is at a great distance and in a very difficult situation:

1. Those that have feeling for her and her traumatized, near homeless son along with constructive suggestion that might help both of them resolve so of his pressing issues.

2. Those that take the tough and hard ball approach of perhaps telling the mother she is an enabler for wanting to help her son, or suggesting that the son in crisis, "stand on his own two feet," I read on reply that told the mother to expect a short life for her son.

All of this says much more about the individuals who have replied on this thread than it does about a mother and her son whom they have never met. The tough love, hard ball approach offered by many here is especially choice. Those who have given the mother appropriate and helpful information which she can pass on to her son in crisis seem to have enough feeling and information that may do some good.

It is very unfortunate to read in many of these replies the background idea that decent housing, food, medical care, employment or employment support and public transportation are things that American must earn without a right to them. While Americans normally, in healthful working lives, do just than by earning and paying taxes, it is quite wrong to go further and say that without earning such necessities we must live without them. Many millions of Americans live impaired and disabled lives inching by but with those basic human needs provided. I can only hope that this mother's son will become one of them. Like me, disabled, home bound (and retired, senior), an American.

Best wishes to you and your son, Mom.

-Robert Zacher
Fargo, North Dakota, USA

Old 10-13-2015, 02:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,062,945 times
I was going through some of my old posts and came upon this one. I would love to know how your son is doing now, over a year later? I hope everything is going well for him. Did he make it to CA and secure a job?

Old 10-14-2015, 04:31 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,615,108 times
I fail to see where this has anything to do with self sufficiency and preparedness, unless the lad got in some supplies to tide him over whilst being homeless?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:07 PM

334 posts, read 538,414 times
Tell him to contact Catholic Charities or St Vincent de Paul. These are nationwide charities that can help him with food and housing. They help people to get back on their feet.
Sorry, just realized this is an old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness