Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,106,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trembler View Post
I could come up with some money in a month or so but he going to be out on the street in a day or two. I wonder if he would have a better chance in Seattle or San Diego?
It is illegal to evict on less than 30 days notice. Did you wait 27 days to post this, or are they performing an illegal eviction?

You said he was being evicted because he was a victim... that sounds like some really awful BS. Clearly you have a mental image of how this went down, but it won't help us figure out the facts. Without facts, other people will have a hard time helping you. In regards to moving to a large city, yes, he definitely should. Larger cities will have VASTLY more resources (IE food banks) and vastly more job openings.

If he actually wants to put in an honesty days work, and some (but not all) homeless people do, then he should be looking for a way to get Austin, TX. Two million people gives it plenty of size, rents are very reasonable, and jobs are plentiful.

I don't know what actually went down for him, but if he is a properly functioning adult, he can make it work in the great economy of Austin, TX. If he is not a properly functioning adult, you have an entirely different problem.

PS. Just read the rest of the thread. So your son is a convict. Wonderful. I'm definitely going with his eviction isn't because "he was the victim of violence". He was probably thrown out for due cause. It may be entirely legal for them to have the police remove a convict that is threatening their safety. He should grow up, be a real man, and put in an honest days work. You should probably learn how to look for cheaper airfare, but that's a different post entirely. I wouldn't blame your country of residence for rejecting convicts. Really, we don't want them either.

PPS. Advice to stay in small towns has some severe flaws. The services available in really small rural towns simply is not good enough. When I was young, fresh out of college, I had to find those resources to fall back on. I know what it is like. Being in a small town the bigotry is much more intense. In a crappy small town, even a college degree in a relevant field and being at the top of your class doesn't mean ****.

Last edited by lurtsman; 06-03-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
He might be a potential Job Corps candidate. If he qualifies, enters the program, and sticks with it it might help him get started on a better course in life.

Job Corps

http://www.jobcorps.gov/Libraries/pd...factsheet.sflb

Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,312,043 times
What state does your son live in? Click on the state forum and ask advice from those who live in the same area your son lives in.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,106,709 times
Would the military accept him? Sometimes they can work wonders for people that need some structure and discipline. Not sure if he can get in with the felony on his record. They pay a reasonable amount though, and they would teach him quite a bit about how to be a grown man.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
I have two additional thoughts:

1. If you look at the Military Life forum it appears that it isn't necessarily a given that anyone who wants to get into the military can get in.

2. This is really the biggest point: it's good that the mother wants to help, but we have heard nothing from the son who is in trouble. He needs to do something to get his life under control and on track at this point. Nothing the mother can do in the short term is a substitute for that.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,177,815 times
Quote:
I could come up with some money in a month or so but he going to be out on the street in a day or two. I wonder if he would have a better chance in Seattle or San Diego?
I've been homeless in both cities when I was younger.

In both places there are temp employment agencies that pay the same day - I think Labor Ready is one of them. He should be able to get there by 5am which is when construction people start coming by to hire for the day. This is better than waiting on the corner competing with Mexicans, who are preferred because they work harder than Anglos, and who are more aggressive about asking for work.

San Diego, all I remember is going to church missions. If they have room, they will take him in to sleep in bunk beds in return for listening to them preach their brains out for a coupla hours. They will provide one meal, often bean soup and stale bread, and may offer job counseling. I've heard there is now some sort of city homeless shelter/services that has more resources.

In Seattle there is a wide variety of uncoordinated services. It used to be that DESC provided mats on the floor, a good dinner, job listings, and social services such as mental health.

Lutheran Compass was another place, good lunch and a few beds.

Gospel Rescue Mission was the Bible-thumping group near downtown.

The aptly-named Millionaire's Club had a breakfast and little employment center. They also operated some kind of midnight service that would call around all the shelters to see if there was a bed for the next person in line. The Peniel Mission was in the same area, up First in the Belltown District.

Cherry St Food Bank offered some food once a day up on First Hill.

Plymouth Housing Group would get you into an apartment after a while. There's also some city-run service that would start you off in a shelter, then move you into shared housing, then eventually into an apartment.

The downtown library is a good place to hang out, go to the bathroom, get job listings, get some time on one of the computers.

There are a lot of homeless services in Seattle but it's hard to learn the whole system, there's a little of this and a little of that all over the map. Probably DESC has the most stuff under one roof: DESC - Shelter, Housing and Services for Homeless Adults in Seattle

Old 06-03-2014, 03:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,752,171 times
Quote:
You don't know what the felony was for. You would be surprised at what can get you a felony these days. downloading music, taking mail from someone mailbox, failing to report food service tips, unregistered handgun to name a few.

Anyway, I thought there would be more useful survival tips here than the usual call social services which I never would have thought to do. I was looking more for supplies needed, safety tips, ways to earn money, transportation, places to stay, etc.

I do plan to help him.

( response to first sentence )

No I don't know what the felony is for but you( the mother ) should know.

I'll bet it sure isn't for any of those flimsy excuses you gave either !

Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM

25,983 posts, read 22,181,380 times
A felon is a felon. I am kind of wondering if this isn't a troll-type post just for getting responses. Really, posting what items your homeless child should get. Maybe there is a website for a care package for your child that is about to become homeless? Funny that the son hasn't been to social services. Does he have a parole officer? As the thread continues on, it doesn't add up. I agree OP is an enabler. Time for the son to get off the pot or...............

Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,752,171 times
Quote:
I have a son early 20s who is about to be homeless. He was victim of violence last year (held hostage at gunpoint) and lost nearly everything because of it. He was staying with a relative but they are having hard times and they asked him to leave. I am barely making ends meet and can't afford to send him a ticket here as I live overseas.

I think he could find a job if he went to a city as right now he is in a very rural town, think population of 3000 people where there is no work and he has no car.

What cities would be good to find a job if you were homeless? He can do restaurant work, cleaning, basic office work, care taking of sick or elderly.

Do you think he should make a will work for food sign to try to get some money and a job? Is it even legal to do that these days? Are there resources to help people get on their feet like housing, food, etc.?

1st paragraph............." held hostage at gunpoint "

Later we find out he is a felon.

Play with fire and you get burned !

Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM

71 posts, read 80,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ways to make a few $$$ is just about every major city has day labor jobs where you congregate in a place and go out on jobs for a day.//

Another quick$10-$20 would be selling your blood plasma, once every week or so.
Ultimately the lad has to get a fulltime job, truck driving is a job thats in demand in most cities..
At this point he may as well stay in whatever city he is in as i cant see his options improving by going to another city unless there is family there willing to help him out.
Thanks good ideas! I'm making a list. We keep this up he may have a job and a place to stay and not be homeless at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness