Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,985 times

Advertisements

I need to loosen this nut to remove my bicycle wheel for maintenance. What is the name of the tool I need, please? I can visualize it in my mind, but I don't know the word to ask for it by name. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:10 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Do you mean any of these: https://www.google.com/#q=wrench+for...wheel&tbm=shop?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 AM

Looks like this, tape measure for purpose of specifying size of tool attachment needed.
Attached Thumbnails
See this photo: name for the wrench I need to loosen this nut?-img_20140919_064028_646-1.jpg  

Last edited by Zelpha; 09-19-2014 at 05:33 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
thank you fisheye, the tool I'm looking for is probably closest to this one from the link you provided:https://www.google.com/search?q=wren...66357681622404

but I had in mind more than a wrench, thinking more of a tool with options for attachments for a specific size of nut, that will just grip the nut from the top like a ratchet and be able to unscrew it.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Get a socket set in 1/4" and a universal joint wrench so you can attack it from any angle.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,067 times
Are you looking for a nut driver (pictured below)?

If so, but one that accepts various sizes, like Nor'Eastah said, get a 1/4" or 3'8" socket set that has the sockets of the varying sizes as well as the screwdriver type handle.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah
Get a socket set in 1/4" and a universal joint wrench so you can attack it from any angle.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Are you looking for a nut driver (pictured below)?

If so, but one that accepts various sizes, like Nor'Eastah said, get a 1/4" or 3'8" socket set that has the sockets of the varying sizes as well as the screwdriver type handle.
Yes!

Now we're talkin.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,067 times
OK, now that we found the tool you think you want, may I suggest you don't use it.

Unless you're Hercules or a professional arm wrestler, if you use a nut driver like I pictured above, you will not be able to get that nut on tight enough.

What you want to get is a 3/8" drive socket set like what I pictured below. They're available at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears... Not knowing whether your bike is metric or SAE, you'll want a set that has both. Looking at your pic with the tape measure, it's probably 15mm (metric) or 9/16 SAE.

Using the ratchet and possibly extension if needed (in the kit below, they're in the bottom center of the kit) insert the correct socket and use that for tightening or removing the nut.

The ratchet will give you the capability of applying the correct amount of torque which for an application like this means TIGHT.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 AM

656 posts, read 1,341,820 times
Also be careful not to torque it excessively... great way to cause things to shear.
There's a good chance that nut hasn't been removed in a while, so you should probably give it a good shot of penetrating oil and give it a few minutes before you loosen it... IMO, PB Blaster is the best. WD-40 works, too. If that fails, then I like to use the "liquid wrench" - oxyacetylene or propane torch, heat up the nut to where it gets hot - but not to the point where it begins to melt or will deform when I crank on it. Mind you, I'm talking about doing this on heavy equipment and semi trucks, and after I've already tried using my impact wrench on it.. your bike looks like it's been kept up, so the penetrating oil should be more than sufficient. If you had bought and old/antique and rusted out bike, then the bit about the torch would be more relevant.
A set of Allen wrenches (or Allen bits which attach to a ratchet) are handy for working on bicycles, as well.
When it comes to your ratchets, get something of halfway decent quality. I only use Snap On ratchets, but you don't do what I do, and I doubt you want to spend that kind of money. Proto and Gear Wrench are good brands typically available at auto parts stores. Craftsman works, as well, as does Kobalt. Yeah, you can buy the Pittsburgh ratchets from Harbor Freight and they're warrantied, but they're crap, and you're almost certain to have to go back to Harbor Freight (many times over) and get them warrantied. But socket sets from Harbor Freight will work, minus the ratchets.
Check out some pawn shops.. how many times I've gone to them and I've seen good quality tools at bargain bin prices... I've seen Mac, Matco, and Snap-On ratchets which sell for $200 new being sold for $30 at pawn shops before.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Forget about a 'nut driver" or a 1/4" drive socket set. That nut is 5/8" or 11/16", judging from your tape measure. Those two tools will not budge it.

So, from cheap/less appropriate, to more expensive/more appropriate:

Vice Grips.......basically pliers that lock onto the nut. They will get it off, chew up the metal a little, and leave purists (me) cringing. But for the least investment, they will work, for sure.

Adjustable wrench.....also likely to free the nut, a little less abusive to the metal, and still likely to annoy the purists.

Best option is to go to Sears and buy a starter set of craftsman sockets and wrench. They will cost marginally more, fit tightly to the nut, unscrew the nut without abusing it, and will appease the purists. The only issue is whether you need metric or SAE, and to do that you need an ACCURATE measurement.

There is such a thing as a bicycle wrench. Go to your local bike shop; they will know the correct wrench for your bicycle. The wrench has multiple "openings" to fit the various nuts and bolts on a bike.

And lastly, you can take the bike into the shop and let them loosen the nut...takes two minutes and they are unlikely to charge you if you smile nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness