Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times

Advertisements

Our local forestry service caught some men trying to herd deer toward deer stands using drones. Didn't work worth a flip - they told the forestry service that there was nothing the forestry service could do to stop them. There isn't a law against what they were doing.

I don't know about other states, but here in Louisiana drones are used in agriculture. They fly over fields so the owners can check for pests, among other things. The drone operators are careful where they operate the drones, and ask permission before flying over private property.

With the growing popularity, I think maybe our state does need some laws on the books. There is always someone who do what is legally correct, rather than what is morally correct. Yes, I am referring to our government.

Has anyone had a problem with the government flying over private property? We haven't had much of a problem here. Of course, Louisiana has a population of gun owners who would not hesitate to shoot anything flying over their property without permission - if there isn't a law against shooting it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,642 times
When's drone-hunting season start?

On a serious note, police forces / government has had helicopters for years. Asides from airspace restrictions around controlled airfields, what's the difference between them flying a helicopter over your backyard, or flying a drone over your backyard? (asides from cost, as the helicopter is a LOT more expensive to operate).

It's murky waters, but I'd wager that it's "fair game" (as scary as that sounds). The air equivalent of a police cruiser driving down a neighborhood street, looking in your front yards / open garages / front windows. Just keep your illegal ***** in your basement.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:26 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
When's drone-hunting season start?

On a serious note, police forces / government has had helicopters for years. Asides from airspace restrictions around controlled airfields, what's the difference between them flying a helicopter over your backyard, or flying a drone over your backyard? (asides from cost, as the helicopter is a LOT more expensive to operate).

It's murky waters, but I'd wager that it's "fair game" (as scary as that sounds). The air equivalent of a police cruiser driving down a neighborhood street, looking in your front yards / open garages / front windows. Just keep your illegal ***** in your basement.
Do you really believe what you just wrote?

Drones are much cheaper to operate, not to mention much more quiet. They give much more capabilities to invade your privacy than helicopters. For example, anyone can see your license plate when you drive on a public roadway. But, couple that with databases, automated scanners and cameras, cell phone companies comfortably in bed with the government, drones everywhere etc. and it is a whole new ball game. While technically each of these is legal (aside the part with the telcos), it is their combination and cost that makes ubiquitous surveillance easy and cheap. You only have the constitution and the courts to rely on and as we see these days, they ain't worth much. I consider myself you everyday middle class guy, nothing special really, but this kind of stuff should scare you, me, every freedom loving person out there.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I consider myself you everyday middle class guy, nothing special really, but this kind of stuff should scare you, me, every freedom loving person out there.
This is just the stuff that private individuals use. It's not powerful at all.

For decades now, the government has had a satellite system in the sky that is silent, and invisible nearly all of the time. Have you ever used "Google Earth"? What you see there - including the street views - is a very modified version of what the government can see. That degree of enlargement and detail is not available to private entities. The government version of satellite capability, can spot a fly on your nose, in high def.

Better invest in some very good camo clothing, especially a wide-brimmed hat!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Our local forestry service caught some men trying to herd deer toward deer stands using drones. Didn't work worth a flip - they told the forestry service that there was nothing the forestry service could do to stop them. There isn't a law against what they were doing.

I don't know about other states, but here in Louisiana drones are used in agriculture. They fly over fields so the owners can check for pests, among other things. The drone operators are careful where they operate the drones, and ask permission before flying over private property.

With the growing popularity, I think maybe our state does need some laws on the books. There is always someone who do what is legally correct, rather than what is morally correct. Yes, I am referring to our government.

Has anyone had a problem with the government flying over private property? We haven't had much of a problem here. Of course, Louisiana has a population of gun owners who would not hesitate to shoot anything flying over their property without permission - if there isn't a law against shooting it!
I don't know about drone laws in Montana, but trying to herd deer is considered harrasment of wildlife and is a punishable offence.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Do you really believe what you just wrote?

... this kind of stuff should scare you, me, every freedom loving person out there.
It's a brave, new world -- but until laws get passed, there's nothing strictly illegal about any of it. There's other stuff out there I'm more worried about than some police force flying a toy over my neighborhood, looking for illegal stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
For decades now, the government has had a satellite system in the sky that is silent, and invisible nearly all of the time ... The government version of satellite capability, can spot a fly on your nose, in high def ...
Well, seeing as I work with satellite intelligence.

I wouldn't exactly say "fly in your nose, in high def"... Hell, some of the stuff I've gotten is worse than Google Earth quality, just depends on what you ask for / what you need / what they give you.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:11 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
It's a brave, new world -- but until laws get passed, there's nothing strictly illegal about any of it. There's other stuff out there I'm more worried about than some police force flying a toy over my neighborhood, looking for illegal stuff.
Quote:
Well, seeing as I work with satellite intelligence.
Seeing that you work for the government, I see how you don't worry about your local police department flying over your house. Anyways, legal/illegal nowadays is matter of technicalities and the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law. There used to be a time where laws kind of tried to follow the "right" and "wrong" thing but now not anymore. It is legal to send a SWAT team to enforce a basic administrative subpoena, it is legal to fly silent toys over your house, it is legal to monitor your phone conversations using the telecommunications companies while at the same time threatening them with letters they are not supposed to talk about, so on and so on. All legal on paper. But, is it right to do that to your citizens all the while purporting to be the "beacon of democracy"?

Old 12-04-2014, 05:17 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Law has not kept up with technology for many decades.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:13 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Here a drone, there a drone . . .
everywhere a drone, drone... old Uncle Sam had a police state ee-ay-ee-ay-oh.

The big difference is Uncle Sam's drones pack more of a whollop that the drones we can buy at Walmart (and herd deer with).

Old 12-04-2014, 06:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:

The air space above is not private. Drone laws are just starting as some are near airport being reported in New York now.It takes a idiot either to fly drone there or to shoot at a aircraft even with odds of hitting it. Government does need drone to photo; I can go on google and see your property up close even to front street view. Drones are for real time use in special situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness