Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 04:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

It's pretty simple if you are on a budget and can't afford to buy a farm or ranch. Simply go back to the Paleolithic. Find a nice cave somewhere near a spring. Learn how to knap flint and start fires by rubbing sticks together. Get some young guy to run down antelope for you while you fish. Make a last concession to civilization by buying a few cases of good liquor and some killer weed seeds. Some poppy seeds too. A prostitute if you don't have a wife. Maybe a few canned goods for when the lizards and squirrels run low in the winter.
that's the most pathetic argument I have ever heard. sort of " if you don't have the money to buy a farm or ranch your stuffed" kind of remark, as if money is all you need to survive. I've got news for you, skills and the knowledge to use those skills will last much longer than any bankroll post SHTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Lordly Lordy you also may want to stop going off on tangents, telling tales, making false accusations and trolling

You are ignorant and constantly make statements thinking your importance is significant enough that is our job to correct your ignorance.

It's not. Obviously this topic is not your expertise.

So quit putting people on the spot to defend themselves from your criminal imagination and start reading the threads instead. Learn instead of trolling everyone here.

It is certainly possible to live at Campgrounds ALL YEAR long. IN fact, one of my best friends has done so in various campgrounds in our area.

Whether you are aware of the particulars or not. And no, you're not worth it

Don't bother to say it's a felony either. Or remind us of ANYTHING ELSE in this thread which is illegal insinuating people here are criminals.

I will then report it, it's getting old and is unnecessary and I've already asked you to stop

Learn to have good behavior instead

Maybe then... they'll consider letting you out early
I saw nothing in Lordy's post 176 that was untrue (unlike my post above, which was humor). It's definitely not legal to camp in one spot for free for more than about 2 weeks on federal lands. It's not a felony, but a misdemeanor if you don't move along.

Also, it's against the Terms of Service to call someone a troll or directly insult them in any way.

Last edited by Woof; 02-20-2015 at 05:01 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 04:55 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
that's the most pathetic argument I have ever heard. sort of " if you don't have the money to buy a farm or ranch your stuffed" kind of remark, as if money is all you need to survive. I've got news for you, skills and the knowledge to use those skills will last much longer than any bankroll post SHTF.
I was just kidding, I have a goofy sense of humor. Yes, skills are a good thing to have. I don't understand your reference to a bankroll, I was talking about if you had no money, then you could go Paleolithic if you had the skills and the right location, though it would be a miserable, short life.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I was just kidding, I have a goofy sense of humor. Yes, skills are a good thing to have. I don't understand your reference to a bankroll, I was talking about if you had no money, then you could go Paleolithic if you had the skills and the right location, though it would be a miserable, short life.
no I don't agree it would be a miserable short life. a simpler life, and I'm all for keeping it simple!! I have always thought it would be more like pre industrialisation circa 1700 at least in the UK anyway, for an example of this see youtube "Tales from the Green Valley".

Last edited by bigpaul; 02-20-2015 at 05:33 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
no I don't agree it would be a miserable short life. a simpler life, and I'm all for keeping it simple!! I have always thought it would be more like pre industrialisation circa 1700 at least in the UK anyway, for an example of this see youtube "Tales from the Green Valley".
I think you pick and choose at the end. For us - we bought a 5 acre foreclosure for $70K and did a lot of work ourselves in the beginning - lot of it pretty hard manual labor. We renovated the home, added things like porches, horse fencing, horse shelter, solar, riding arena, chicken coop, new shed, built a big hay storage shed, started gardens etc. The property now is worth about $220K. We plan on selling and buying a much larger property with a nice home somewhere truly rural - we just have not decided where. Then we will rinse and repeat (in terms of self-sufficiency setup) but the next property will be our (hopefully) last property. I will still work from home, have great health insurance etc.

I want a nice and healthy home that will not require any more work besides the regular upkeep and getting it off-grid energy wise, not like the one we renovated which was full of mold and rotting crap, we did tons of drywall work and that dust can be deadly (silicosis) etc. Sorry, after a while it gets old - the renovations, not to mention that I could be making way more money sitting in front of my computer instead of sitting there eating drywall dust or mold spores or sweating and cursing over what some idiot did for a shortcut behind the wall where you can;t see it.

We have not had a TV since 2002, we read books, grow our own food etc. Hence, we are not "brainwashed" by anything or anyone. However, I refuse to give up the modern conveniences that I like. Some I don't (like a dishwasher for example) but some I do - like a clothes washer (not drier, we dry the clothes out in the sun). We own used vehicles - I plan on driving my 2006 GMC diesel (which is in excellent shape since I have taken care of it religiously) to the point where fixing is too expensive and/or it becomes a hassle if it is unreliable (we do haul horses). Then I will go up to a 1-ton dually with 30-40K miles on it - let someone else pay for the new truck smell.

So, see - I think we are being smart and not religious about our self-sufficiency - everyone has a different definition of it. If you have the money, it is totally different than if you don't. It is also important for us not to be a burden on society - everything we have in life was done by us only, I have no family in this country except for my wife and her Mom and my wife's family was not rich. We are educated formally and have options. None of these options is to live in a leaky trailer by the river with no electricity and freezing in the winter in -20....

Last edited by LordyLordy; 02-20-2015 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Not quite like the 1700's, not even in the UK. The water nowadays would probably get you before the gubment unless you filtered or boiled it. Partly due to the water quality, and mostly due to most of our modern guts not being accustomed to the bugs....

Very few today have the skills to live by their wits in the wild. Simply finding enough fat is beyond most folks' level of commitment, and you will die without it. The vast majority also have little skill at avoiding injury under such conditions, making a fire without a box of matches and a jug of petrol, or staying warm on a dry night, much less a rainy one, without the aid of quantities of expensive gear. For most, it would indeed be a very short and miserable life.

Of course, how long has it been since people learned these skills as a matter of course from fathers or uncles? In most cases, close to a century. You can hardly fault someone for not knowing what they had no idea they needed to know. Nature doesn't see it that way, though, she kills the ignorant with abandon...

Old 02-20-2015, 06:03 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Do we need a forum for folks who simply want to argue and insult one another? I bet if we had one, this forum would lose a third of its membership.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Not quite like the 1700's, not even in the UK. The water nowadays would probably get you before the gubment unless you filtered or boiled it. Partly due to the water quality, and mostly due to most of our modern guts not being accustomed to the bugs....

Very few today have the skills to live by their wits in the wild. Simply finding enough fat is beyond most folks' level of commitment, and you will die without it. The vast majority also have little skill at avoiding injury under such conditions, making a fire without a box of matches and a jug of petrol, or staying warm on a dry night, much less a rainy one, without the aid of quantities of expensive gear. For most, it would indeed be a very short and miserable life.

Of course, how long has it been since people learned these skills as a matter of course from fathers or uncles? In most cases, close to a century. You can hardly fault someone for not knowing what they had no idea they needed to know. Nature doesn't see it that way, though, she kills the ignorant with abandon...
Hardly a few people in the 1700s in UK had the wits to live in the wild. Most of them were indentured surfs that farmed the landlord's lands and rarely left their fields/homes. They had no rights - were considered expendable junk, at least up to 1660 and very likely for at least 50+ years onwards. They died in droves from all sorts of things we would laugh at today

Old 02-20-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Do we need a forum for folks who simply want to argue and insult one another? I bet if we had one, this forum would lose a third of its membership.
Sorry, you are right - I deleted my reply that called someone stupid - I am taking the high road and just putting them on ignore...

Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Hardly a few people in the 1700s in UK had the wits to live in the wild. Most of them were indentured surfs that farmed the landlord's lands and rarely left their fields/homes. They had no rights - were considered expendable junk, at least up to 1660 and very likely for at least 50+ years onwards. They died in droves from all sorts of things we would laugh at today
I should have said LIKE the 1700s, nobody would be surfs and all would be equal, no work= no food!! however unlike now back then there was only 6 million people in Britain, less than a tenth of the population today, less chance of bumping into anyone we knew!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness