Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Do we need a forum for folks who simply want to argue and insult one another? I bet if we had one, this forum would lose a third of its membership.
I thought that was the Politics and Other Issues forum....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The only way I know of to stay at a campground for a year is if you have a campground job.

If there are other ways, spill it!
There is no such way. If there is, it involves moving from a place to a place and sure as hell will not be "park the trailer by the stream and live happily ever after". It will most definitely NOT be in the same campground.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:34 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
For a period of maybe 15 years, my father lived in a fifth-wheel trailer, as a 'snow-bird'. He traveled through more northern states in the summers, and in the South-West in the winters. He suffered terribly from arthritis. A few times he would visit us depending on where I was stationed, but we never got to visit him at any of the places where he parked.

As I understand it, he parked a lot on BLM land. I suspect that he parked for 14-days at a time.

I know that he avoided 'campgrounds' like the plague.

I think that he developed his own route, that he took every season. That included a lot of Baptist churches [he just loved how friendly church ladies are, more so the widows].

Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post

People say COL is lower in the rural areas. I disagree. We live in a town of 3,000 about 20 miles away from a large, booming college town and 40 miles SW and 40 miles NW of two large cities.

You have to get farther than 20 miles from a large, booming college town. Try 50+ miles and you should notice a difference. You have 2 large cities within 40 miles? I wouldn't expect your area to be low COL. Sounds more suburban than rural.

I live in a low COL small town of about 3500. County population density is about 40 per sq. mile which is not bad for the eastern US. The nearest city is 90 miles. We had a small hospital but it closed a couple of years ago. The ACA caused the demise of many rural hospitals. We still have several doctors though. The nearest hospital is now about 35 miles.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You have to get farther than 20 miles from a large, booming college town. Try 50+ miles and you should notice a difference. You have 2 large cities within 40 miles? I wouldn't expect your area to be low COL. Sounds more suburban than rural.

I live in a low COL small town of about 3500. County population density is about 40 per sq. mile which is not bad for the eastern US. The nearest city is 90 miles. We had a small hospital but it closed a couple of years ago. The ACA caused the demise of many rural hospitals. We still have several doctors though. The nearest hospital is now about 35 miles.
This area used to be rural and now it is getting over-run with people.

Yes, we are planning on going somewhere more rural but I would like to be within hour to hour and a half from a city...

How can you have low COL in a small town? If you don't grow your own food (like the majority of people here don't) - where do you get the groceries? They are liable to be cheaper in the city. Same for all services - if you do not do your own (which most people here don't)... If you have to see doctors, same story. Internet is more expensive here too, so is everything else.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:42 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
It's not about one post, but you know that. So there is one correction to a deliberate error right off the bat.

So your deliberate attempt to try to deceive has failed.

Your next post will be another attempt at being dishonest purposefully, no doubt considering who you are defending and your history here. And no, your not worth it for me to repeat myself three times. Knock it off.
this post right here.
LL has his days, and can be "problematic", many of the more liberal-minded souls I have known have been such, we simply won't agree on many things. They likely find me "problematic" as well, at times.

That said, you are at least as much the problem in this particular thread as he has been. I do not know what burr found its way under your saddle, or if you are always this way(I didn't check because I don't care...sound familiar?), but foaming at the mouth and snapping at folks adds nothing positive to the conversation. Forget the campaign against LL, you spent all your "political capital" attacking him and have none left to convince me or likely most others to invest in your cause.

Now you are attacking another person, who I know little about but who did nothing in this thread to cause a problem as far as I can tell. LL is not my favorite poster, as he often seems to talk down to others he disagrees with, but there are a lot of folks that way and I don't and won't go ratting them out to the mods every time they disagree with me, even if they are a bit snide. If someone is snide to you and you give enough of a crap to give them a response, then do a competent job of defending yourself. Or simply ignore the remarks, and go on without giving them more attention than they deserve. All this bloviating only makes you look like a rabid dog with a taste for that particular poster,which no one will side with.

I find this entire post and subject to be distasteful, almost as if I will wear the stench of it for having delved into it. But I, and others, are tired of your very personal battle mucking up this thread. Take each other off ignore and lob the shells via DM if you like, but stick to the subject in a polite manner if you wish to continue in this thread, PLEASE. We all like a healthy debate here, but not a dog fight.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
LL has his days, and can be "problematic", many of the more liberal-minded souls I have known have been such, we simply won't agree on many things. They likely find me "problematic" as well, at times.

That said, you are at least as much the problem in this particular thread as he has been. I do not know what burr found its way under your saddle, or if you are always this way(I didn't check because I don't care...sound familiar?), but foaming at the mouth and snapping at folks adds nothing positive to the conversation. Forget the campaign against LL, you spent all your "political capital" attacking him and have none left to convince me or likely most others to invest in your cause.

Now you are attacking another person, who I know little about but who did nothing in this thread to cause a problem as far as I can tell. LL is not my favorite poster, as he often seems to talk down to others he disagrees with, but there are a lot of folks that way and I don't and won't go ratting them out to the mods every time they disagree with me, even if they are a bit snide. If someone is snide to you and you give enough of a crap to give them a response, then do a competent job of defending yourself. Or simply ignore the remarks, and go on without giving them more attention than they deserve. All this bloviating only makes you look like a rabid dog with a taste for that particular poster,which no one will side with.

I find this entire post and subject to be distasteful, almost as if I will wear the stench of it for having delved into it. But I, and others, are tired of your very personal battle mucking up this thread. Take each other off ignore and lob the shells via DM if you like, but stick to the subject in a polite manner if you wish to continue in this thread, PLEASE. We all like a healthy debate here, but not a dog fight.
Sorry but this whole row started when she advised that everyone can drive around and use other people's open internet connections. I simply said that doing so may be illegal. For that I earned the title of criminal and felon and liar (go back and check please if you don't believe me) - that's a psycho over-reaction if I have ever seen one. She has called other people liars and other names too. Even attacked my use of the word "bastardized" as offensive, what the heck? Basically, if you don't agree you are a liar and a criminal and are deliberately distorting the truth. Finally, I put her on ignore and am happy that way - I think some people are very out of balance and not worth debating with - others can take it and it can get fun without being too serious

I am not liberal minded by any means - but I am not super conservative either. Why do we always have to be in the extreme? I am conservative on some stuff and and liberal on other. All in all, healthy middle. By the way, people may be upset about some of my debates, however, I like to hear some proof as opposed to just repeating mantras. If we are to prep, let's discuss prepping but we don't have to call everyone who doesn't - a sheep or an idiot. If we are to talk about results of things, let's talk statistics and facts and learn from these things. When someone comes into a debate and their biggest proof is some riot from 20 years ago where the food supply chain was disrupted for 7 days, I have to ask the question - did anyone die as a result? If not, well, the riot wasn't a biggie worth preparing for. if they told me thousands wend dying in the streets as a result of it - that would be a big case for prepping. It's just facts you see...

Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
This area used to be rural and now it is getting over-run with people.

Yes, we are planning on going somewhere more rural but I would like to be within hour to hour and a half from a city...

How can you have low COL in a small town? If you don't grow your own food (like the majority of people here don't) - where do you get the groceries? They are liable to be cheaper in the city. Same for all services - if you do not do your own (which most people here don't)... If you have to see doctors, same story. Internet is more expensive here too, so is everything else.
Low cost of land and low taxes. We have only one small grocery store because the majority grows at least some of their own food, or has access from a relative. I grow most of my food in a hoop house and I have 2 chickens (and technically I live in the "city" limits ) Anything I don't grow is grown locally and very cheap in season. There is a small grass-fed angus ranch about a mile outside of town and several small family farms around with properly raised livestock. Most things in our local grocery are competitively priced; a few things are ridiculous, but those things are rarely necessities. Three or four times a year I go to a larger town to stock up on things like toilet paper. You are right that TP is way overpriced in small towns. I pay $105/month for high speed internet and phone service. I am out of touch with how that compares nationwide.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Low cost of land and low taxes. We have only one small grocery store because the majority grows at least some of their own food, or has access from a relative. I grow most of my food in a hoop house and I have 2 chickens (and technically I live in the "city" limits ) Anything I don't grow is grown locally and very cheap in season. There is a small grass-fed angus ranch about a mile outside of town and several small family farms around with properly raised livestock. Most things in our local grocery are competitively priced; a few things are ridiculous, but those things are rarely necessities. Three or four times a year I go to a larger town to stock up on things like toilet paper. You are right that TP is way overpriced in small towns. I pay $105/month for high speed internet and phone service. I am out of touch with how that compares nationwide.
Interesting. Land here goes for $15K/acre and the local grocery store prices make it worth while ot drive 20 miles to the college town to do the shopping. Even gas is more expensive here than in a big place. Hay for the horses the same way - here is an example: the local feed store sells it for $11.50/square bale, 30 miles down the road it is $8.25/square bale DELIVERED to my house . At these prices the feed store could be buying from the same guy I am buying and still be making profit. Heck, I am yet to find _anything_ cheaper locally than in a big city.

My immediate neighbor has 70 acres she does nothing with. My other immediate neighbor is a "prepper" on paper only - he grows nothing either and his home is on the grid. But he talks a big game.

Many of the people we know here grow nothing even though most of them have at least 2 acres each. They all shop in town.

if someone does anything - it is mostly cattle but that requires land...

I am in a county that has high property taxes, even though I am outside of city jurisdiction, the school district has insane taxes. The only upside is that (oddly enough) - no building permits or inspections required on a house. Go figure

Old 02-20-2015, 05:17 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Around here life sounds much like that in your area. Parcels of land sell for anywhere from $300/acre to as high as $1,000/acre. Property taxes on my land are around $1.05/acre.

In the city hay 'squares' sell for $6. Here they sell for $2 to $3, here the rounds sell for $10 to $20.

Nobody has cattle around here. Too much bother, when each household gets a bear, a few deer and maybe a moose every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness