Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:59 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
OK lets say SHTF tomorrow...are any of you lot any where near prepared ? or are you just talking about it?

if it happened tomorrow, i will just say that OPSEC is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:59 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Yeah, me, me, me TODAY. As if in the 1850s in America there weren't many, many people who murdered and pillaged to get a large piece of land or a bunch of cattle or to secure a contract for something. As if numerous Indian tribes weren't destroyed and their ancestral lands taken for who? Me, Me, Me of course - gold prospectors, cattle barons, sod busters, industrialists, opportunists, snake oil salesmen.... Please - all that thing of the past stuff is so romantic but so incorrect...
Well said. It's not like greed is some new thing just invented since the turn of the 21st century.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:14 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well said. It's not like greed is some new thing just invented since the turn of the 21st century.
Not invented, just perfected!

Seriously, people have always been... well, people. There are good folks, bad folks, and folks who don't know yet, because they have not made a conscious decision to be one or the other and life hasn't proven to them what they are yet. We either decide to be one or the other, or we let life make us what we become. That simple. It has always been such, and will always be. There will always be those who do what is just, no matter the external circumstances, and there will always be those who do not, no matter the external circumstances. And there will always be those who let the external circumstances make them who they are because they are too weak to be anything other than a product of their environment.

I just feel sorry for the folks who spend their lives paying attention to all the rotten things in life, at the expense of enjoying the good things. What a rotten existence. We get one shot at this life, and to spend it in negativity is such a waste. It's tragic.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Yeah, me, me, me TODAY. As if in the 1850s in America there weren't many, many people who murdered and pillaged to get a large piece of land or a bunch of cattle or to secure a contract for something. As if numerous Indian tribes weren't destroyed and their ancestral lands taken for who? Me, Me, Me of course - gold prospectors, cattle barons, sod busters, industrialists, opportunists, snake oil salesmen.... Please - all that thing of the past stuff is so romantic but so incorrect...
The people who settled the country did what more competent people have always done to the incompetent. Before the coming of the Whites this was not a peaceful and pastoral land. Indians engaged in unspeakable savagery both among themselves and with animals who lived in the country. The Indian had previously hunted the Giant Bison to extinction. In the nineteenth century they killed hundreds of bison for tongues and humps leaving the reat of the meat to rot. They only used other parts of the animal for food in times of scarcity. Few of the animals were skinned for their hides. Hides were simply too heavy for most purposes. The much admired Sioux only became able to migrate after Whites supplied them with horses and canvas. In Chicago today there are whole neighborhoods occupied by them. The most common businesses are bars.

Whites mistakenly put the Indians on the welfare rolls; they're still there. As an example, the federal government gave them the best farmland in Wyoming as their reservation. But they do no farming. The tribes lease lands to White farmers who do the work.

White settlers made the country; they civilized it, not the Indians.

Contemporary works abound, but people would rather learn from tainted and false textbooks in government indoctrination centers and learn from the entertainment media how evil Whites are.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:57 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The people who settled the country did what more competent people have always done to the incompetent. Before the coming of the Whites this was not a peaceful and pastoral land. Indians engaged in unspeakable savagery both among themselves and with animals who lived in the country. The Indian had previously hunted the Giant Bison to extinction. In the nineteenth century they killed hundreds of bison for tongues and humps leaving the reat of the meat to rot. They only used other parts of the animal for food in times of scarcity. Few of the animals were skinned for their hides. Hides were simply too heavy for most purposes. The much admired Sioux only became able to migrate after Whites supplied them with horses and canvas. In Chicago today there are whole neighborhoods occupied by them. The most common businesses are bars.

Whites mistakenly put the Indians on the welfare rolls; they're still there. As an example, the federal government gave them the best farmland in Wyoming as their reservation. But they do no farming. The tribes lease lands to White farmers who do the work.

White settlers made the country; they civilized it, not the Indians.

Contemporary works abound, but people would rather learn from tainted and false textbooks in government indoctrination centers and learn from the entertainment media how evil Whites are.
Regardless of the version of history (which we disagree on) - the fact remains that nothing has changed. The history of this country (or any country for that matter) is full of examples of "me, me, me" 200 years ago just like it is today. People are people and will always be people. Has it become easier for people to not work and be a burden on others? Sure. But that's a result of progress and technology - the abundance of today allows us to provide for more people since most of the labor of food production, for example, has been outsourced to international and domestic conglomerates and other countries. It is because we have an abundance that we are able to support people who cannot or will not support themselves.

I am old enough to remember a time when growing up we did not have any gadgets and the landline was the thing to use to call your friends to go out or you would simply go out and find them / look for them. Nobody clicked photos of anything willy nilly like today on their cell phones and there was no one single place to share your impressions with many others. However - why is that we could not just take a shot of anything we saw? Because a) cameras were expensive and b) cameras were too big to lug around. It was not because we were so special and smart - these things simply weren't available

Old 02-19-2015, 05:03 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
If mung beans were a measure of preparedness, I'm READY !!!!

Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
....... My guess is that being British, you don't realize that the US credit markets came within a whisker of collapsing the economy in the summer of 2008. For once, GWB moved quickly and got Congress to cooperate in preventing that. It was a near thing and the US -- and the world -- took some economic lumps, but guess what? Civilization is still here. Sensible civilized people are not nearly as stupid or as helpless as paranoid preppers think they are
Oh, it affected more than the US, such as shipping ...... if we hadn't spent trillions bailing out the big boys in the right way, if the US had collapsed like say Argentina, it would have eventually brought the world economy to its knees.

But I'd say that in terms of personal misery, it wouldn't get worse than the Great Depression - though that was pretty bad, with people's properties being seized and lots of homeless families, and even outright starvation some places.

What's the way to prep for a GD scenario? I guess it wouldn't hurt to have some food stashed, definitely good to have the house mortgage paid off, and mostly to have some sort skill or trade that would be valuable during such a time ...... I don't know, maybe custom casket maker, electrician, plumber, musician, security, or whatever.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh, it affected more than the US, such as shipping ...... if we hadn't spent trillions bailing out the big boys in the right way, if the US had collapsed like say Argentina, it would have eventually brought the world economy to its knees.

But I'd say that in terms of personal misery, it wouldn't get worse than the Great Depression - though that was pretty bad, with people's properties being seized and lots of homeless families, and even outright starvation some places.

What's the way to prep for a GD scenario? I guess it wouldn't hurt to have some food stashed, definitely good to have the house mortgage paid off, and mostly to have some sort skill or trade that would be valuable during such a time ...... I don't know, maybe custom casket maker, electrician, plumber, musician, security, or whatever.

Hahaha!! I have been all those things and am still doing half of them! Guess I'm good to go... if that's even possible, since Murphy rides my life like a rodeo champ! My luck, on the day the grid fails, I will be in some shape that places me in need of electrical gadgets to stay breathing! Ah, well, I have seen the Reaper before, he got tired, and prolly needs a rest before tangling with me again....

Old 02-20-2015, 02:04 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Quote:
This is nonsense. If you actually read history you would realize how ignorant your statements about ancient civilizations are. They only "make sense" as examples to you because you don't actually know very much about them except that they're not around any more.

The same is true about your goobledygook about "3 core systems". I bet you got that off some paranoid survivalist website. Again if you had a real understanding of the electrical grid, telecommunications, and/or banking and finance you would realize that this is implausible. Parts of the world might be affected by some disaster but unless it's an event that's going to wipe out the majority of life on this planet, civilization will keep going.

BTW, what exactly do you think world leaders would be doing while the "3 core systems" were supposedly "imploding"? Playing Yahtzee? Fiddling? My guess is that being British, you don't realize that the US credit markets came within a whisker of collapsing the economy in the summer of 2008. For once, GWB moved quickly and got Congress to cooperate in preventing that. It was a near thing and the US -- and the world -- took some economic lumps, but guess what? Civilization is still here. Sensible civilized people are not nearly as stupid or as helpless as paranoid preppers think they are
until the time they don't. anyway I believe in being prepared and yes I was a Boy Scout. think: "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". I'm thinking more along the lines of : Russia vs Ukraine, Russia vs the Baltic states, Pandemic, Oil Shortage, Greece leaves the Eurozone, Maybe Britain will leave the EU-we have an election on May 7th-anything is possible, Eurozone implodes/collapses/ at the very least they'll have money problems without the UK's £50 MILLION PER DAY, economic collapse, societal unrest, looting, rioting, general anarchy, societal collapse, finally TEOTWAWKI. according to some on here and other forums that makes me "paranoid", I just call it "being prepared for any and all eventualities". I admit I'm thinking more from the British point of view as that is where I live than from an American or world angle.

Last edited by bigpaul; 02-20-2015 at 02:26 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 07:19 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
This is nonsense. If you actually read history you would realize how ignorant your statements about ancient civilizations are. They only "make sense" as examples to you because you don't actually know very much about them except that they're not around any more.

The same is true about your goobledygook about "3 core systems". I bet you got that off some paranoid survivalist website. Again if you had a real understanding of the electrical grid, telecommunications, and/or banking and finance you would realize that this is implausible. Parts of the world might be affected by some disaster but unless it's an event that's going to wipe out the majority of life on this planet, civilization will keep going.

BTW, what exactly do you think world leaders would be doing while the "3 core systems" were supposedly "imploding"? Playing Yahtzee? Fiddling? My guess is that being British, you don't realize that the US credit markets came within a whisker of collapsing the economy in the summer of 2008. For once, GWB moved quickly and got Congress to cooperate in preventing that. It was a near thing and the US -- and the world -- took some economic lumps, but guess what? Civilization is still here. Sensible civilized people are not nearly as stupid or as helpless as paranoid preppers think they are

a nice big solar flare would effect the whole planet. also, a collapse of the petro dollar would also cause a world wide melt down as well, and either one could happen at any time.

if TSHTF does happen, then plenty of sheep will still be relying on uncle sugar for their next meal as most will not even put back any supplies more than a week or so.

the modern world does not need WWIII for society to collapse anymore than the ancient romans did.
take away food and water for 3-5 days and there will be rioting in the streets of the big cities.
especially when the feds will not be able to keep up with supply and demand.

these are just some of the main reasons to have a few month supply of food and water on hand for a person to feed themselves and their family.

I for one, have more for my family and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness