Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:50 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times

Advertisements

During the time I lived in my new home without my cat, I battled mice daily. Got her out here and she made quick work of the indoor ones. Good mouser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 05:25 PM

344 posts, read 551,154 times
I got serious about catching rodents after the hantavirus deaths started happening. I don't like poison because I don't like smelling dead animals trapped in the walls for months and if a predator eats them I might kill something that's nominally on my side.

If you want to live-trap mice cheap, you can make a trap out of a plastic jar and a 5-gallon bucket and some odds and ends, youtube has various videos on how. Dump them a mile away and they won't come back, but enough others will that it might not seem like it makes a difference.

They do work, however, and they're easy to dump off somewhere. My issue is that the mice here can jump high enough to get back out. I need to find a taller bucket for in the house. Out in the shop I have the bait roller over a garbage can and that is enough, but then they can die from falling.

Or if you forget to check they panic trying to get out and suffer. This is true for all live-traps, you have to constantly check or they will die the same way as in a sticky trap. Which means if you are going away for a few days disable all the live traps unless you want to be in the same class as the sticky trap torturers. :^)

If you want to kill them quick, the Victor Powerkill work well and have a little bait well which can last several trappings, I use almond butter and it is very attractive to my local cuisine aficionados. The Powerkill rat trap will do mice as well, and they are easy to empty and reset. They are more expensive but I think they are worth it. The one of those I have has caught more than all the cheapo traps combined, some are right next to it. Mice love that Powerkill rat trap. It is loud in the middle of the night when it goes off.

Victor also makes electronic traps, neighbors like the rat-size ones but they are not long-lived and expensive at about $50. I mention that brand not because they're the only one but that's what I use because the local Ace carries them.

I dump the carcasses outside and they are gone within hours, doing my part to keep the predator food-chain going. I put them in the same spot.

In general I work with the animals around me, but disease-carrying makes it self-defense in my eyes. And the predators appreciate my thoughtfulness, they are animals too.

BTW, in case you find mouse droppings, spray them with some household cleaner before cleaning them up. It's the dust from them that kills. And it's easier to swab them up in one shot with a paper towel when they're wet.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:40 PM

434 posts, read 248,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
During the time I lived in my new home without my cat, I battled mice daily. Got her out here and she made quick work of the indoor ones. Good mouser.
Depends on the Cat, ones OK the others as thick as two short planks. He was trying to catch a spider the other day & lost it even though it was right infront of him. I called him and as he was walking over he trod on it and squished it without noticing. Makes for a good alarm clock at 5am though.

Incidently I used to have a problem with mice but since moving to another place with a field out back I haven't had amy issues due to the sheer number of cats in the neighbourhood, theirs an army of them and it definitely keeps the street rodent free.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
I never needed a cat until this year, and for some reason the mice were horrible!! Everyone I've talked to has had problems with them.

Normally, a couple of traps handle the spring and fall infestations, but this year we had traps all over the place and couldn't keep up!

So we broke down and got a cat for the first time in the 27 years the wife and I have been together. I would reccomend what we got, a cat that had been house broken, but abandoned in a move so she had to fend for herself for a while before being picked up.
We got her from the folks that found her, and she REALLY knows how to hunt!

She catches so many she can't eat them all, and puts them in her food dish for later.

That said, she has really helped out with the problem.

At the cabin, I don't use glue traps because we have wild weasels, and I don't want to catch them by accident.
The weasels do a fair job, but not great, so we still have to put all food in steel containers, but that doesn't keep the vermin off of the counters and tables.
We released a couple feral cats we caught in live traps up there, but they apparently didn't last long. If I was living there full time, I would have bucket traps everywhere outside and at least one cat inside.

Those mice are a nightmare!!

The chipmunks are a pain, but at least they're cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness