Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for modern civilization to be severely devastated by some plague or disease?

Plagues and disease have, or course, devastated civilizations of the past like Europe a few times, and the new world obviously. So this is not fantasy or science fiction.

And I am not talking about a zombie virus or like the Strain. I am just talking about a regular virus, or disease that just kills you.

With our modern medicine, can we pretty much stop anything from spreading around too badly? We have diseases like heart and cancer that kill off lots of people, but I am talking about an apocalyptic or almost apocalyptic number of casualties.

I guess more along the lines of The Last Ship tv series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 10:22 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Yes, it is still possible. A widespread outbreak of something like Ebola could overwhelm the healthcare system and decimate huge populations. There likelihood is low but the possibility exists.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
with the speed these days a person can get from one side of the world to another then yes this is quite possible. we had a british television drama series called "Survivors", this was the script for the storyline.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
The reason for a flu shot every year is because the flu virus keeps changing. The serum that they make for that year's virus is just a guess for that year. Several years they guessed wrong. All flus are airborne and when they survey a cross section of the public by drawing random blood samples and look for flu antibodies they find that more then 90% of the public have been infected. Foe some it's a death sentence, for others it is just a minor illness.

Ebola, so far has been aerosol transmitted. There are 4 discovered strains of Ebola. As long as Ebola stays only aerosol transmitted it will be containable. If it becomes airborne there will be no ways to stop it and it will kill 50%-70% of the infected and that could be 90% of the population. Even the people that have survived have had long term physical maladies. In a report from just a month ago has found that some of the survivors still have active Ebola virus in them years later.

A black swan virus similar to the Ebola virus and airborne could wipe out the human race before any lab could even figure out what is killing people.

So yes, we could still be devastated by a disease.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:48 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
viruses cannot live for long outside the human body, about 24 hours I think, the one exception is Ebola I believe, they need a warm blooded host, remove yourself from the multitudes and go into self imposed isolation until it has run its course.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is it possible for modern civilization to be severely devastated by some plague or disease?
No, this is 2015, not 1915 or 1815.

Communications matters.

Even in the case of a designer virus that had a lengthy incubation period of several weeks to maximize the spread, it wouldn't affect more than 20% of the population.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
viruses cannot live for long outside the human body, about 24 hours I think, the one exception is Ebola I believe, they need a warm blooded host, remove yourself from the multitudes and go into self imposed isolation until it has run its course.
You forgot about anthrax, it lives in dirt for years.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, this is 2015, not 1915 or 1815.

Communications matters.

Even in the case of a designer virus that had a lengthy incubation period of several weeks to maximize the spread, it wouldn't affect more than 20% of the population.
If this is true, please explain the flu virus? Infects more then 90% of the population and we can't stop it. Any airborne virus will cross the country in days/weeks long before the CDC can identify it.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:39 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I know that this isn't what you meant, but let's put this into perspective:

Far more people die of drug use and overdosing than ever die from the flu, every year.
Far more people die of gunshot wounds than ever die from the flu, every year.
Far more people die of auto and motorcycle accidents than ever die from the flu, every year.

and,

Far more people die of the flu than ever get within 1,000 miles of someone with ebola, every year.

Think about it.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I know that this isn't what you meant, but let's put this into perspective:

Far more people die of drug use and overdosing than ever die from the flu, every year.
Far more people die of gunshot wounds than ever die from the flu, every year.
Far more people die of auto and motorcycle accidents than ever die from the flu, every year.
Not every year. More people died from the Spanish flu than were killed in World War I, fifty to one hundred million. That was five to ten percent of the world's population at the time.

Businesses and schools were closed; many industries were crippled. My parents told me about classmates and teachers who died. However, the effects of the pandemic were short-lived. We need a minimum of a fifty percent death rate of the entire population to effect any real change. Eighty to ninety percent would be necessary to guarantee it.

Spanish Flu Pandemic That Killed Millions in 1918
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness