Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times

Advertisements

Every day for the last 2 weeks, I have awoke to a vision that it time to finalize my preparedness, but with a twist: In my area there are dozens of larger land tracts, 40-160 acres that are officially owned, taxes up to date, but have not been visited in years by their owners. The lot immediately to the west of me is 22 acres, undeveloped. I have contacted the county to get owner info to contact about leasing but it comes back with no such address. I have in fact verified that the address the tax bill goes to in San Diego does not exist. The taxes are paid, I followed up on a rumor that the owner now lives in Kingman AZ, found an address via the whitepages, but number is disconnected and that mail was returned as well, even thought the address does exist. The owner stopped by last 5 years ago and met my boss the farm owner but I did not have a chance to meet him, supposedly he indicated to his boss that that was his first visit in 20 years.

Anyway, I was an architect many years ago, my dad a very skilled carpenter. So I can build wisely and efficiently. The vision that I am having is to go to this adjoining lot and build a covered, one side exposed, shelter of about 400 sq ft within the high scrub brush of this lot. I know of a good open well near the site, I can set up rudimentary solar. I raise ducks so I got food. I can $50-100 this structure to completion and pay cash. And I can hide it from arieal view.

Does this sound so crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
Risky to build on land that you do not own, and someone else does own it. I wouldn't recommend it. If he catches you, he can sue you.

I wonder why that guy has been hoarding land for 20+ years if he doesn't seem to want to do anything with it.

If your visions are strong & compelling, go about it in a legal way. Find a way to buy the land, get building permits, then build your dream.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:59 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Risky to build on land that you do not own, and someone else does own it. I wouldn't recommend it. If he catches you, he can sue you.

I wonder why that guy has been hoarding land for 20+ years if he doesn't seem to want to do anything with it.

If your visions are strong & compelling, go about it in a legal way. Find a way to buy the land, get building permits, then build your dream.

why does not really matter, I for one bought 47 acres in Montana in the 1980's. I have only been to the land 5-6 times since i bought it.

it is still there and nobody lives on it.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Lots of people buy acreage as an investment. Here in Maine, they often buy it for forestry products. In many places, they will buy large tracts that seem to be in the path of future development. Sometimes a younger person will buy land with retirement in mind - and that may be 30 years off. Why do they need to visit it?

OP, do not assume that the owner of that land doesn't want it...or any of those surrounding parcels. They likely will not allow you to build on it for liability reasons. Look for land that you can purchase. You don't need 22 acres, or 40 acres, or 100 acres. Start with 2 acres, or 5, and learn to work that.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:01 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
This will probably get me in trouble with distant and non-visiting landowners: Look up adverse possession. Laws vary by state. I'm very familiar with a case in Alaska where a couple built a home and lived for years on bank owned property. They ended up with title to the 5 acres that they actually used.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:46 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
Has anyone considered Google maps. About every 5 years or less Google maps updates their aerial pictures. If the owner has been watching his land by this method then he will know within years. Adverse possession requires so many years to establish ownership, if my memory is correct it's 17 years.

Very bad idea to build on land you don't own.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
In California, the land, for a period of 5 years has to go tax delinquent, and you, if you want to adverse posses the land have to pay the property taxes without the owner figuring it out.

Now, my neighborhood actually started as a filed "estate" plan in the late 1970's, was to have a golf course, equestrian center and riding trails, all the lots were 40 AC minumum. Now it is a mix of high end and run down homes on unpaved streets with lots between 8 and 40 ac. Just to the south of me is a upscale home on 40 Acres with a dried up 7AC lake bed. House has been unoccupied since 2003. But the caretakers cottage has been occupied by a local store owner since 1984. I offered the LL $800/mo for this place last year, whole year rent in advance, said he would rather have it stay vacant.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
For the OP - you could try to look up all old addresses on the deed and tax records. Then perhaps physically go to the location and ask around for the owner. If you have the owners name you could try a private detective, they often have access to databases and skip tracing sources the rest of us normal folks can't access.

It appears the owner is well aware of the property since the taxes are apparently paid yearly, but for some reason wants to keep ownership as secret as possible.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:14 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Every day for the last 2 weeks, I have awoke to a vision that it time to finalize my preparedness, but with a twist: In my area there are dozens of larger land tracts, 40-160 acres that are officially owned, taxes up to date, but have not been visited in years by their owners. The lot immediately to the west of me is 22 acres, undeveloped. I have contacted the county to get owner info to contact about leasing but it comes back with no such address. I have in fact verified that the address the tax bill goes to in San Diego does not exist. The taxes are paid, I followed up on a rumor that the owner now lives in Kingman AZ, found an address via the whitepages, but number is disconnected and that mail was returned as well, even thought the address does exist. The owner stopped by last 5 years ago and met my boss the farm owner but I did not have a chance to meet him, supposedly he indicated to his boss that that was his first visit in 20 years.

Anyway, I was an architect many years ago, my dad a very skilled carpenter. So I can build wisely and efficiently. The vision that I am having is to go to this adjoining lot and build a covered, one side exposed, shelter of about 400 sq ft within the high scrub brush of this lot. I know of a good open well near the site, I can set up rudimentary solar. I raise ducks so I got food. I can $50-100 this structure to completion and pay cash. And I can hide it from arieal view.

Does this sound so crazy?
Bat-**** crazy. Is this a supposed "vision" from God of the Vino or God of the Peyote or God of Whatever? It certainly is no justification to try to steal somebody's land just because that owner isn't living there.

If you want some land, then buy some. Otherwise, you're stealing, which is, in fact, a crime.

If somebody did that on my land, I'd have the sheriff out there to haul his azz to jail for trespassing -- and you can be sure that somebody in the neighborhood would let me know there was a squatter there.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:48 PM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
This will probably get me in trouble with distant and non-visiting landowners: Look up adverse possession. Laws vary by state. I'm very familiar with a case in Alaska where a couple built a home and lived for years on bank owned property. They ended up with title to the 5 acres that they actually used.
How about this will probably not sit well with anyone that has any moral compass? The guy just told you the owner pays his taxes and he just wants to go build on this person's property and you give him a direction to try and steal someones land they paid for and continue to pay taxes on.

It doesn't take a distant landowner to note a scummy tactic. The guy wasn't asking about blighted abandoned property, land that was forgotten with taxes in the rears but acreage.

If It were my place and I purchased it with retirement in-mind or just wanted to add it to my estate for my children or family, I'd think it pretty disgusting someone trying to tell someone how they could possibly steal my land. All because he had a dream to build on something that doesn't belong to him.

Last edited by Dhult; 11-21-2015 at 12:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness