Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:16 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The power was out in San Diego for just one day and many people were just completely overwhelmed. Most apt dwellers.

No food at home, no gas in the car, no money to buy anything. Not even flashlights.

I can't imagine what would have happened had it went a few days.
That would be amusing to watch

As an off-grid organic farmer, I think it could possibly be very bad for a lot of people, somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I do not understand this fixation with having electricity,
That's because you are limiting your knowledge of survival to only dooms day scenarios. Once you broaden your thinking you'll see, as almost everyone knows (even if they are too chicken to admit it) that electricity brings power. Not just electrical power but authority power. It give you the edge over those without the brain cells to think.

You can see this an see this in the way your thinking; generators - power tools. You have created the doom-and-gloom situation of having electricity versus the power that comes with it. Imagine instead of a generator, we're talking communication. I can use electricity to power wireless communications over longer distances and more secure than lets say some yokle prepper using simulated bird or animal calls to communicate. If I had the ability to power flashlights instead of sticks with lard covered rags, imagine the advantage of owning the night. If I can make fuel to power a vehicle versus playing air raid warden on a bicycle, i will have the advantage over those without.

I know its a wonderful thought to magically transport oneself back to the 1800's where a person can dream about the able to get by without electricity, but this is now and today, by tomorrow those with power will control those without.

But of course, electricity brings a sense of stability and I know how fantasy pressers just hate the idea that their dream world will be awaken by the reality of stability and normalization.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:08 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
At least all those who were lost to y2k will not be here to suffer.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:50 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
we have seen both in the US and UK that as soon as the power goes off just for a short period mass panic sets in, its just not having power for lights and freezers and stuff, it affects so much else of modern life as well that most people would not be able to function without it, it dosent even have to be off permanently either, a few weeks say a month and the loss of life would be huge, societal collapse would ensue, we saw that here with the fuel protests in 2001(just a week) and the London "Riots" a few years ago, the human being is only a short distance from his animal roots, take away the trappings and luxuries of modern life and that animal will re emerge.
I know there are many people out there who say it'll never get to that stage, the government wouldn't let it, but can you be so sure, some say the human race has come to far to fail, where I say, no, we just have further to fall is all.
previous civilisations have failed before, this one is no different and at some point in time this one will fail too, its just a matter of when not if.
I am not bothered about things like unemployment, illness, divorce, the death of a family member, economical downturns, power cuts, severe winter storms and all the other things that most urbanised peoples worry about, I have been through them and survived, in some cases more than once, "been there, done that, got the T shirt", I am more concerned about and am continuing to finalise plans, for the long term eventualities, of which loss of electrical power is but a minor inconvenience.
the thread title is about the ramifications of WHEN the power grid goes down, NOT trying to give reasons why it wouldn't.

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-22-2015 at 03:59 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 11:35 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
^^^ Well then I guess with all this potential in the UK for the destruction of society it's a good thing you folks aren't allowed to have guns, or knives...

Old 12-23-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
^^^ Well then I guess with all this potential in the UK for the destruction of society it's a good thing you folks aren't allowed to have guns, or knives...
don't believe everything you read, cos it aint so.you Yanks seem to think everything revolves around guns, talk about a one track mind.
and what that got to do with the electrical grid? where's the off topic button?

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-23-2015 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 06:16 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
previous civilisations have failed before, this one is no different and at some point in time this one will fail too, its just a matter of when not if.
None of the civilizations before had the technology that we do. None of them were so inter-connected and inter-dependent. If (or when, according to you) they fail - they will fail in an epic way. None of the shelters or other "prep crap" will matter.

Quote:
I am not bothered about things like unemployment, illness, divorce, the death of a family member, economical downturns, power cuts, severe winter storms and all the other things that most urbanised peoples worry about, I have been through them and survived, in some cases more than once, "been there, done that, got the T shirt", I am more concerned about and am continuing to finalise plans, for the long term eventualities, of which loss of electrical power is but a minor inconvenience.
the thread title is about the ramifications of WHEN the power grid goes down, NOT trying to give reasons why it wouldn't.
If you have been through all of those multiple times - you are probably not very young . If I am correct, why are you so worried about what will happen next? Live out your remaining few years happy

Old 12-23-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
None of the civilizations before had the technology that we do. None of them were so inter-connected and inter-dependent. If (or when, according to you) they fail - they will fail in an epic way. None of the shelters or other "prep crap" will matter.

If you have been through all of those multiple times - you are probably not very young . If I am correct, why are you so worried about what will happen next? Live out your remaining few years happy
typical answer from you as always, blasé answers don't really address the post, never mind I expect if you ignore the points raised you expect them to go away.
I have noticed that City Data out of all the forums online seems to attract people who's whole reason for existing is to belittle others opinions and beliefs without understanding any of the reasons behind those opinions and beliefs. shame really, the forum could be so much more but I suppose that's modern "society" for you, belittle and poke fun at something they don't understand or believe in, no better than those idiots on Facebook. realisation will come too late for most of the population.

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-23-2015 at 06:40 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 06:45 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
At least all those who were lost to y2k will not be here to suffer.
Well said, sir!!!!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
typical answer from you as always, blasé answers don't really address the post, never mind I expect if you ignore the points raised you expect them to go away.
I have noticed that City Data out of all the forums online seems to attract people who's whole reason for existing is to belittle others opinions and beliefs without understanding any of the reasons behind those opinions and beliefs. shame really, the forum could be so much more but I suppose that's modern "society" for you, belittle and poke fun at something they don't understand or believe in, no better than those idiots on Facebook. realisation will come too late for most of the population.

I have a real problem understanding why there are folks that take such pleasure in belittling the beliefs of others, when it makes absolutely no impact on them.

Why come to a self sufficiency board, when you cannot grasp the fact that some people like to build their own home, or raise their own livestock or garden, make their own power or simply be less reliant on government services?

If you are of the firm belief that nothing bad can ever happen,(despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary). and if something does happen, the government will be right there handing out checks to protect you, why go to a preparedness forum?

It is always amazing to me that some folks just seem to live for putting down others, some sort of smug self superiority complex I guess because they don't have meaning to their own lives, so they have to make it appear that they are far more intelligent than others, when in fact, they come across as petulant children that cannot accept that others have different ideas than they do.

Sad really.

But there is a remedy.
The IGNORE feature is great, and the trolls eventually starve for lack of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness