Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else purchasing additional platinum physicals? I have. Platunum has maintained a price above that of gold for well over a century, but currently gold is above platinum. I expect it to reverse. My gold is almost always protected with puts; I've done the same with Pt. I believe that we'll see a return to the traditional ratio within a relatively short time. I've done the same thing successfully before.

I've bought a few Rhodium ingots as well. I view this as about equivalent to buying ''junior'' mining stocks, but sometimes those do pay off.

It's been a good year. I've made money with gold puts.

My only silver purchases this year have been numismatic. I believe that silver is too high realative to gold.

What's evereryone else doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 03:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Other than a core position, I'm out of the metals. I bought when gold was under $300 and silver was under $5. I just held, for 11 years. I missed the peaks in 2011, but sold a year later. I made a 5x profit on gold, and a 6x profit on silver. Not a bad haul, but not too much better than stocks.

I don't know any who have gained anything of merit in the past 4 years. Your mileage may vary. I like cash right now...as in, out of the bank, in small denominations. Could come in mighty handy.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:05 PM

You cost yourself money. Had you kept the physicals and bought puts you would have had a nice profit and still had your gold.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You cost yourself money. Had you kept the physicals and bought puts you would have had a nice profit and still had your gold.
It was getting to be too much. Gold isn't "money" now, and most likely won't be for the rest of our useful lives. My heart just wasn't in it any longer. At some point, you have to toss excess baggage out of your life. I have sufficient investments now that take up less of my time.

At this point in life, I am happier just being active, getting things fixed and work done, and trying to help out my family and friends. Just a new set of priorities. I'm happy at this point!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:13 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Is anyone else purchasing additional platinum physicals? I have. Platunum has maintained a price above that of gold for well over a century, but currently gold is above platinum. I expect it to reverse. My gold is almost always protected with puts; I've done the same with Pt. I believe that we'll see a return to the traditional ratio within a relatively short time. I've done the same thing successfully before.

I've bought a few Rhodium ingots as well. I view this as about equivalent to buying ''junior'' mining stocks, but sometimes those do pay off.

It's been a good year. I've made money with gold puts.

My only silver purchases this year have been numismatic. I believe that silver is too high realative to gold.

What's evereryone else doing?

Allow me to paraphrase the movie "Jaws".

You go out onto a summer beach and yell Barracuda... People look around and go "Huh".

Yell, Shark, and people go into a panic trying to get out of the water.

Now hopefully on point....

After some significant event, you walk into a grocer and see the last can of peas on the planet.

Offer to trade him a quantity of Silver... and, you will likely make the deal.

Tell him you have Rhodium bars..... and, he will likely look at you like you're crazy.

Even the man on the street has a rough idea of the value of Gold.....

Stop by "Aunt Tilly's" house and ask her about the value of Platinum... See what happens.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Allow me to paraphrase the movie "Jaws".

You go out onto a summer beach and yell Barracuda... People look around and go "Huh".

Yell, Shark, and people go into a panic trying to get out of the water.

Now hopefully on point....

After some significant event, you walk into a grocer and see the last can of peas on the planet.

Offer to trade him a quantity of Silver... and, you will likely make the deal.

Tell him you have Rhodium bars..... and, he will likely look at you like you're crazy.

Even the man on the street has a rough idea of the value of Gold.....

Stop by "Aunt Tilly's" house and ask her about the value of Platinum... See what happens.
There are places to buy groceries; there are places to trade securities and commodities. They are not the same places. I wouldn't expect a commodities broker to know much about a can of peas.

I'm not seeking the last can of peas. I have some bigger fish to fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness