Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Nimity View Post
My husband is a fire chief and a firefighter with 33 years experience. He uses this term all of time. When we go to weddings, a restaurant, anyplace public, I watch him out of the corner of my eye looking at the ceiling, the windows, doorways, etc. Many years ago when we were much younger and dating, I asked him what he was doing, his answer was "figuring out how to get you out of here in an emergency". He usually always has a plan to go the direction everyone else is not... I'm not fireground savvy, but he also uses the term "sizeup" alot, which is quickly analyzing an emergency and quickly formulating a game plan. I lurk this forum a lot BTW and enjoy the posts of the regulars, a lot of good food for thought.
My uncle is a retired police officer, and he also does this out of habit - it's actually a good habit to get into. These days, you never know what kind of situation may arise, and it's good to plan an escape route.

There was a horrible fire at The Station nightclub in 2003. If you watch the video about it, it will never leave you. One of the things that has stuck with me is that fact that there were fire exits on each side of the club, but once the fire got out of hand, people perished when they got bottle necked at the main entrance; they just instinctively tried to get out the way they had remembered getting in. Several of the survivors mentioned that they had NOTED when they came in where the other fire exits were in the club, and had used them to get out. I have never forgotten that, and always check for the fire exits and alternate means of leaving a place now. It also educated me as to must how quickly a fire can spread and become deadly. You never get the gist of that when you see fires on TV or in the movies - there's always fires burning here and there but no smoke, and it's often the smoke that kills first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 12:50 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I spend most of my time outdoors, and for most of the year, it's still dark out when I begin my morning chores. I love rural Maine, and have seen moose and deer track in the driveway. Have not seen bear track, but we make a concerted effort to observe strict cleanliness at our place, so as not to attract them. To be honest, if a bear was nearby, I probably wouldn't want to know! These are only black bears, but any bear is not to be trifled with, esp if a sow with her cub(s).

We have a special two legged beer belly bear that prowl the streets after 2am when the bars close. One morning the dogs were barking like crazy and wanted to be let out. I kept them in because I didn't want them to disturb the neighbors at such an early hour. Had I been more aware and trusted my canines I would have looked out the window and spotted one of those beer belly bears on my neighbors porch. Evidently he wasn't so aware of his situation when he stumbled up on the porch and knocked over the flower pots. Animal control (the police) came and took him away.

We had one on our front porch at 6am that had totally lost any insight to where he was or where he was going. His fellow beer belly bear friends deserted him and he couldn't find his way home. We had to call animal control for him as well.

I found one of those big bears passed out on the sidewalk during one of my late night dog walkies. He wasn't moving and I guess he thought the sidewalk would be as good a spot as any to hibernate. Hell why not, it was warm. Yep had to call animal control again but he was up and barely running down the street when they caught up with him.

I dream of the day when I can see a four legged bear in the wild. Until then, it's mace, a cell phone, my attack Yorkie and eyes wide open when I walk around late at night or ride my bike.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:18 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I dream of the day when I can see a four legged bear in the wild. Until then, it's mace, a cell phone, my attack Yorkie and eyes wide open when I walk around late at night or ride my bike.
LOL, love your sense of humor! Stay safe till that day comes!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Thank you Nor'Eastah I'm always aware of my surroundings that late at night and I know a lot of the guys on our police department. They're always driving around and do a really good job of protecting our little village. (We were up in Bangor about three years ago when a nice nor'easter came through. It was heaven )

Old 01-22-2016, 08:28 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Years ago, I once knew a guy who had excellent situational awareness regarding physical objects and people. He never worked a detail oriented job, and to my knowledge, never conciously developed the skills he had. Yet, he was amazingly observant and capable of connecting alot of dots.

One time, he visited me at out back at my work to smoke a cigarrette and talk. He then asked me when we got the new cook. When I asked how he knew, he said he noticed from a few previous short visits that the cook seemed to bring the kichen trash out constantly and surmised that he liked things neat in the kitchen (he did). The bags he brought out were also tied with a certain style of knot.

The bags that afternoon were full, indicating that the cook had not constantly taken them out. They also did not have the knot he had seen earlier. My friend noticed alot of little things like that- even about things that he would seem to have little interest in. Every once in a while, he would point one out to me.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-22-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Nor'Eastah,
How are sherperds around cats? I've been thinking about getting one after I lose my great pyr, but I also have 3 cats. Thanks
I had a shepherd once that slept in the wood shed. The cats used to pile on top of him in cold weather. Every body stayed toasty warm. He was raised around the cats, so they all knew each other.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Just wondering if any of you have heightened, honed, started practicing for the first time situational awareness in light of recent events, namely the mass shooting in Florida and the seemingly random and unprovoked stabbing in the Upstate New York supermarket...?

Not that this is the first mass shooting (it is, however the worst the U.S. has encountered to date) or the first public stabbing but the timing and nature of the events seem to cast an uncomfortable aura on the psychological landscape for some reason.

Thoughts?

Old 06-14-2016, 12:50 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
... but the timing and nature of the events seem to cast an uncomfortable aura on the psychological landscape for some reason.
The only thing I'm really noticing about it is, that both political parties - as well as the Resident - are making hay while the sun shines. Maybe they welcomed a break in the political boredom??

Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I was fire captain of a volunteer fire department for 12 years, (got out because my knees couldn't do that kind of work anymore), a lot of the techniques work the same for both fire and Military. I would imagine it would be to the benefit of cops as well.

When you get on scene at a fire or accident or whatever, the first thing you do is an analysis or sizeup, identifying dangers from overhead wires, collapse zones, gas lines, fluid leaks, anything that could put you or your crew at risk. We always did a walk around to look at the scene from all angles while the crew was readying the equipment so we could brief them before they made entry or started stabilizing the scene. Your husband is exactly right and sounds like a good competent Chief.

Glad to see you posting, please feel free to join in anytime.
I was a volunteer on our FD, in an area of mostly mobile homes. By the time we'd finally arrive about all that was usually left was to hose the embers down with the monitor. We had an "F" insurance rating.

I'm better with a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness