Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

It's phenomenal how many people will ignore the need for special measures even when they have days of warning. We saw it in Katrina. How big a deal would it have been to fill some empty 2 liter pop bottles with drinking water? The coming storm this weekend on the East Coast will result in all sorts of easily avoided hardships. "Oh yeah, maybe I should go grocery shopping in case I can't get out of my driveway."

East Coast blizzard will impact Washington, New York, Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 03:46 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Yep, won't give us much up here in northern Maine...too bad. New England is used to these things in winter, though. I recall the blizzard of '78 in Rhode Island. You couldn't go anywhere for 5 days unless you had a snowmobile. I was running my trucking company at the time, and radio'd all my drivers back before noon. They all got home, safe and sound. Blizzards and hurricanes we can handle.

I would not rank this with Katrina, not by a long shot. By Monday morning, everybody will be back at work, as per usual. Not a big deal for New England!

Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yep, won't give us much up here in northern Maine...too bad. New England is used to these things in winter, though. I recall the blizzard of '78 in Rhode Island. You couldn't go anywhere for 5 days unless you had a snowmobile. I was running my trucking company at the time, and radio'd all my drivers back before noon. They all got home, safe and sound. Blizzards and hurricanes we can handle.

I would not rank this with Katrina, not by a long shot. By Monday morning, everybody will be back at work, as per usual. Not a big deal for New England!
Exactly! This is a blip on the radar, nothing more. After the walloping we got a couple of years ago (36 inches at my house) I welcome 6-12 inches. Piece of cake.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
The point I was trying to make is that with modern satellite tracking and computer modeling we have plenty of advance notice about adverse events. New Orleans had a solid 3 days of warning. The same with Sandy. It wasn't a surprise to anyone. They told people to evacuate. They told people to head for high ground away from the water. People refuse to take the appropriate survival actions.

Yes, a snow storm is trivial. Maybe the power goes out. Maybe you can't go anywhere for a few days. Would it kill people to get their prescriptions refilled, grab some extra cash and have some backup heat? 24 hours of baby formula in the house is not an appropriate response to an adverse weather forecast, but I was in Kearney, Nebraska once when a woman tried to walk 6 blocks to get milk for her baby, without adequate winter gear. She died. Yes, it was a particularly brutal storm, but there were storm warnings on radio and TV for 2 days before it hit.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's phenomenal how many people will ignore the need for special measures even when they have days of warning. We saw it in Katrina. How big a deal would it have been to fill some empty 2 liter pop bottles with drinking water? The coming storm this weekend on the East Coast will result in all sorts of easily avoided hardships. "Oh yeah, maybe I should go grocery shopping in case I can't get out of my driveway."

East Coast blizzard will impact Washington, New York, Boston.
Not everyone drinks pop like that, we don't and would not have those bottles available however, we have always prepared for winter in the fall because we choose to live in a smaller town that is rural.

Edited to add: Filling a prescription is not as simple as it used to be. I can't fill mine until I have 2 days left of the medication because of insurance restrictions.
You make it all sound so easy but for some it is not, there are many people who don't have a checking account and if they do not get paid before the storm comes they will be unable to *just grab some cash* simply because they live paycheck to paycheck.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:05 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You make it all sound so easy but for some it is not, there are many people who don't have a checking account and if they do not get paid before the storm comes they will be unable to *just grab some cash* simply because they live paycheck to paycheck.
I hear this. It's more common than many people imagine. However, such people have to learn.

Any good farmer will tell you that if you want to have chicken and potatoes on the table in January, you need to do some planning back in April or May. Same with city slickers on lower incomes. If you want to have spare food, water and heat in January, you need to start putting something by in spring, once the heating bills are over.

That's called preparedness, and it's what we advocate over here at SS & P!

Old 01-20-2016, 05:45 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
exactly. I cannot get repeat prescription filled straight away, they are date stamped and wont be filled before that date, then they are either posted back to me so I can get it filled at any pharmacy of my choosing-which is normally what I do, or it takes 2 days for the prescription to get from the health centre to the pharmacy.
of course I have a stock of medicines and make sure I don't run out, probably got enough for 2 months maybe longer if I ration it in an emergency.
OTC medicines are not a problem, and I am well stocked up on painkillers.
like everything else it just takes a bit of planning.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
OP: Your point is absolutely correct. I saw the same thing with out recent Blizzard. People were completely helpless. They had no preparation at all, no cold weather equipment, no emergency food, and the city had no preparedness plans, no plans what to do in a snow storm, even though we have them every 5 years or so. We found out after the storm that the city manager left town right before the storm, and lots of people think that's just fine.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:48 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

'Zackly. No big deal. I have a few cases of bottled water on hand, extra food, can make bread as needed, wood stove for heat...just common sense, power goes out all the time here and it's not unusual to get big snowfalls (and snow removal sucks). I don't really call that 'prepping', it's just 'business as usual' to be ready and expect unexpected [relatively] short-term events to make travel difficult and experience temporary losses of 'modern conveniences'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not everyone drinks pop like that, we don't and would not have those bottles available however, we have always prepared for winter in the fall because we choose to live in a smaller town that is rural.

Edited to add: Filling a prescription is not as simple as it used to be. I can't fill mine until I have 2 days left of the medication because of insurance restrictions.
I have arranged to have 6 month + supplies of prescription meds on hand for BP and other chronic ailments, and I'm well stocked with heavy-duty pain-killers obtained from a variety of sources.

Quote:
Maybe people like that *should* get Darwined?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP: Your point is absolutely correct. I saw the same thing with out recent Blizzard. People were completely helpless. They had no preparation at all, no cold weather equipment, no emergency food, and the city had no preparedness plans, no plans what to do in a snow storm, even though we have them every 5 years or so. We found out after the storm that the city manager left town right before the storm, and lots of people think that's just fine.
Ok - how many people died as a result?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness