Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 03:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

It's possible to live after a fashion without the use of any tools except a rock for a hammerstone. This chap never speaks, but his actions are easy to follow. Some of his projects could be useful for wilderness survival as well as adding and using only one tool at a time. He's living proof that it's not necessary to be Hubert the Handyman.

Anthropologists believe that the hammer was the first tool; it actually predates humans as other primates have made use of it as both a tool and a weapon.

Those who enjoy this may wish to then look for information on basket making and flintnapping. There's a community of them in the San Fransisco Bay area who offer informal courses. I've been to several seminars although in colder climes dealing with primitive technology. If we watch him engineer the building it's easy to see the evolution of technology. Some of the most primitive methods are fascinating and have potential uses even today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzMfeQyY5xM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
You can build an earthen house without tools if you are resourceful.

Fill old tires with dirt, stack up, pound dirt down with big rocks.

Lay beams over top of tire walls. Nail correlated tin to beams. Wallah, a house, of sorts.

Better yet, just move into a mine drift. Cool, might even have water. EMP and nuke proof. I've got one all picked out.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

Wallah, a house, of sorts.
Kelly Bundy would say, "Viola, a house of sorts."

In regards the video: "It's amazing what you can observe by just watching." --Yogi Berra

Old 03-16-2016, 10:37 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
You can build an earthen house without tools if you are resourceful.

Fill old tires with dirt, stack up, pound dirt down with big rocks.

Lay beams over top of tire walls. Nail correlated tin to beams. Wallah, a house, of sorts.

Better yet, just move into a mine drift. Cool, might even have water. EMP and nuke proof. I've got one all picked out.
I've experimented with earth building and the whole "earthship" thing with the tires is not the greatest idea. IMO. Tires are cumbersome and require lots of trips to bring 100's of them to your property. Then there's the whole off gassing issue. Also the one I've been inside in New Mexico the owner complained that the slanted glass in front would cause the house to overheat.

A much better no tool earthen build option would be to use "earthbags". I've built a small roundhouse out of them laying two strands of barbed wire in between each row and tamping them into place, then stuccoed the outside. You can probably hit the building with a car and nothing would happen. All the materials minus the bags and barbed wire and the bags are free and come from your land.

I would still want a shovel, level, a tamp, a hammer and a handsaw for window frames at the minimum of building one.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:53 AM

I posted information showing a method of buiding a shelter using neither tools nor building supplies from any commercial source. It would be suitable for any who don't have access to those sources. This video and others posted by the maker make it clear that these techniques work. However, the responses have all involved the need for specialty stores which are seldom seen outside of sizable towns or cities. I expected better.

I'm perplexed. Why would anyone wish to carry the heavy tools and materials they describe on a wildernesss trip or, for that matter, on any trip? Am I the only one on the forum who has ever used ever used an expedient tool? Maybe they all assume that everyone has a car parked a few feet away. I'm not opposed to technology, but I see the need for knowledge that doesn't rely on it.

I was planning another thread on hammerstones as the hammer is the oldest tool known, but there seems to be an inability here to think of a world without stores or convenient transportation. This may only apply to the handymen, but I suspect that there are few on the S-S & P forum who can function without the industrial grid. If this is what we find here I suspect that bigpaul's 90‰ casualty prediction for society as a whole may be very low.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Title of Thread: "Using No Tools to Build a House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm perplexed. Why would anyone wish to carry the heavy tools and materials they describe on a wildernesss trip or, for that matter, on any trip? Am I the only one on the forum who has ever used ever used an expedient tool? Maybe they all assume that everyone has a car parked a few feet away.
I think the discrepancy here is a cause of some confusion.

Many of us know how to build a camping shelter with nothing more than EDC. This is what we do for "wilderness trips". But your title refers to a "house". Most people do not connect a wilderness hut with a "house". There seems to be something missing in the transition.

I for one, do not wish to live in a "house" built with "no tools". In a time of grave emergency, if I could not reach my real "house", then yes, I would be more than interested in constructing an impromptu shelter of whatever materials might be at hand. But this was not made clear either by you, or the video.

If one is not on a "wilderness trip", what is the point of avoiding tools? Expliquez, s'il vous plait!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Title of Thread: "Using No Tools to Build a House"

I think the discrepancy here is a cause of some confusion.

Many of us know how to build a camping shelter with nothing more than EDC. This is what we do for "wilderness trips". But your title refers to a "house". Most people do not connect a wilderness hut with a "house". There seems to be something missing in the transition.

I for one, do not wish to live in a "house" built with "no tools". In a time of grave emergency, if I could not reach my real "house", then yes, I would be more than interested in constructing an impromptu shelter of whatever materials might be at hand. But this was not made clear either by you, or the video.

If one is not on a "wilderness trip", what is the point of avoiding tools? Expliquez, s'il vous plait!
They're heavy. Since this thread is about activity in presumably remote places or at least places away from most people, weight is an important consideration. It's very useful and may be life-saving to be able to build at least an expedient shelter. Note, however that the man who made this and other videos has done far more without the need of tools or building materials. His EDC doesn't even include shoes.

What would you expect people who have just escaped FEMA camps to have in the way of supplies?

Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What would you expect people who have just escaped FEMA camps to have in the way of supplies?
There IS no escape from a FEMA camp....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness