Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 09:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

I watch few movies. However, I received a recommendation to see this one from a correspondent whose taste I respect. While both my correspondent and I found the major premise, a Chinese takeover of this country, to be rather silly, we agreed that there were some interesting points, particularly on the behavior of government employees in breakdown situations.

The characters in this movie do not prepare. There immediate problems would be easily solved with guns. Their showing the death of the one armed civilian isn't believable. Be aware of the problems, but do take a look. Let us know what you think. If you have any recommendations do mention them.

You will need to turn your volume way up to hear this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL9V...st=WL&index=41
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 02:04 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Hey Happy - just watched this. There are 6 parts. I had to FF through a good portion, the people were just so stupid I was afraid I might hurt my computer by pounding my head on the table.

I don't know about those cops - I mean how would you deal with something like that early in a SHTF situation? Where cops were commandeering your vehicle basically at gunpoint. I mean you can't exactly shoot them not knowing the status of the emergency. Can you imagine shooting cops and then finding out it was a localized emergency - and now you are wanted for murder.

The problem with tyrannical governments is law enforcement can and will overstep their bounds - the authorities will be as big or bigger a danger to most self reliant people than criminals.

This movie shows that even a relatively secluded location really isn't enough "they" will find you.

And no guns - this must have been filmed in Los Angeles...

Last edited by jamies; 04-26-2016 at 02:13 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 04:58 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
The problem with tyrannical governments is law enforcement can and will overstep their bounds - the authorities will be as big or bigger a danger to most self reliant people than criminals..
Exactly.

Too many people think that those of us living in remote areas do so to avoid the "golden horde". Not so. I don't worry about city dwellers finding my place, and taking our food and gear at gunpoint. What I am concerned about is government confiscation and government coercion.

What is also true, however, is that police and government thugs will more likely be found in more populated areas. They would be spread too thin in low-density populated areas. I cannot over-emphasize the importance of caches, whether above or below ground. Equally important is to have one or more outbuildings, fitted out for survival, that do NOT look like "dwellings".

Unfortunately, when it comes to police and military forces, hiding out incognito may be the best, or only, means of survival outside of captivity.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I watch few movies. However, I received a recommendation to see this one from a correspondent whose taste I respect. While both my correspondent and I found the major premise, a Chinese takeover of this country, to be rather silly, we agreed that there were some interesting points, particularly on the behavior of government employees in breakdown situations.

The characters in this movie do not prepare. There immediate problems would be easily solved with guns. Their showing the death of the one armed civilian isn't believable. Be aware of the problems, but do take a look. Let us know what you think. If you have any recommendations do mention them.

You will need to turn your volume way up to hear this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL9V...st=WL&index=41

really HiW? like a poster before me posted, this must have been filmed in a liberal state. how many people do you know if something happened like an EMP device, how many would not reach into the back of their vehicle, pull out their bob and hike/walk on home?

I know I have not been here in Wy. that long, but I do know quite a few people in Crook county that have bobs in their vehicle at all times, most have firearms with them too.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:35 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
the trouble with any kind of government in a post collapse scenario in the UK is it just isn't feasible, there are only 136,000 Police nationwide and even if the Army is called in there are currently only 81,700 troops, and this to "police" a population of 64.1 million?

Old 05-02-2016, 03:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
the trouble with any kind of government in a post collapse scenario in the UK is it just isn't feasible, there are only 136,000 Police nationwide and even if the Army is called in there are currently only 81,700 troops, and this to "police" a population of 64.1 million?
Look at those numbers this way: in a civil uprising against the government, guess who would prevail? The only failing I see among Brits is, they seem to fear each other, more than they fear the government. This is a bad habit that begs correction.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:51 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
yes that's always been the British way, "stiff upper lip" and do what your told, but that's when the system is working but what about when its not? when its WROL? the numbers just don't stack up, TPTB will have enough trouble hanging onto London their "power base", maybe with one other city probably Birmingham, but the provinces? no chance, too far away, we in the South West have always known in an event we would be left on our own to get on with it as best we can, that has always been a recognised fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness