Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AR 15 or 12 Gauge or other?
AR 15 19 17.27%
12 Gauge 68 61.82%
Other: Please name it 23 20.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,213,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm a worn out old man. I know that I can't defend myself without a gun.
and I am not getting any younger. I prefer my firearms for self defense than trying to duke it out with some perp.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:57 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,609,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
No, you still do not get it. It is what he said:

"better to be armed and rely on yourself, then to be unarmed and have to rely on someone else."

He has no confidence he can defend himself without a gun. Which I guess is a self fulfilling prophecy.
I understand perfectly, I can see both sides of the argument well. It is not a victim mentality. If you were attempting to assert his actions were rooted in paranoia, then you would have more of a legitimate hypothesis, until it is pointed out that there are well over one million violent crimes in this country every year. That, and the fact that it is not a victim mentality to plan for your family's safety. In fact it is quite the opposite. To take responsibility for your own well being and those close to you is the direct opposite of a victim.

As far as 'no confidence he can defend himself', I'm not certain I have heard a much more immature statement, in recent memory. The backwards logic of considering that a 'self fulfilling prophecy' is only doubling down on your insults. It is very possible someone is in no position to defend themselves physically and therefore finds other means of protection. Is it your intent to call people that do that unworthy of the right to defend life and property, or just to sneer insultingly at elderly or disabled people with this mindset?

Quote:
I do have the right to say what I wish.
Yes you do. But you know well that is not the point I was making. You do not have the right to force other free men to submit to your unreasonable wishes to limit their right to life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness.

Quote:
Yes, those people are not ones I am concerned about. Many are too afraid of "attackers" when they will live their entire lives without being attacked. They live in a fantasy world and may as well be playing dungeons and dragons with kids.
The amount and frequency of your replies in this thread contradicts that statement.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,499,177 times
Quote:
He has no confidence he can defend himself without a gun. Which I guess is a self fulfilling prophecy.
Some people can't read.

The topic of this thread is WHICH firearm would work best for in-home defense. It is not WHETHER a firearm is ideal for that purpose. If you're going to post, and try to engage other members in a debate about firearms, at least have the brains and the courtesy to read the original post to gain an understanding of what is to be discussed.

This is not a gun control thread. We don't have any such over here in SS&P.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:14 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,129,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok, wait til you hear this rhubarb, I had a monsterous discussion w/ a so-called gun expert on which resides best for home D. He says 12 Gauge. I say, AR. You decide. I'll try to make this a poll. So many factors in this but his claims are outrageous (at least to me). More tomorrow as tired but will add to this then.

Edit: Adding that I live in AZ (w/ probably the BEST gun laws) a huge gun-owning state, & Thank God, but he warped me w/ his mindset. Maybe a know-it-all vs me but surely a blowhard as I think personally, "might here makes right". Better too much than too little, as a Boy Scout 200 yrs ago, hmm, I still remember the credo & so try to live by it daily. This is NO exception.
Glock 19 or 17 with 33 round magazines and A tlr1 light

Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,600,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Some people can't read.

The topic of this thread is WHICH firearm would work best for in-home defense. It is not WHETHER a firearm is ideal for that purpose. If you're going to post, and try to engage other members in a debate about firearms, at least have the brains and the courtesy to read the original post to gain an understanding of what is to be discussed.

I agree. What started all this was me articulating why I chose "Other" in the poll and providing an example for my choice of the Glock 23 as my defensive weapon. It's so easy to get on one's high horse and armchair quarterback, second guess, condemn and criticize my reaction to an attempted forced entry into my motel room at 0430. But yet one poster had to display his profound ignorance and not only show his unwillingness to take responsibility for his own safety, but to ridicule those who do. I absolutely believe I reacted in a prudent and reasonable manner. Alaska is a Stand Your Ground (not applicable in this case) and Castle Doctrine state. The law was absolutely on my side in me defending myself and my wife from an unlawful intrusion. Had the police caught the thugs, they would have gone to jail, because they were the ones committing a crime, not me. I'm not even going to waste my time responding to Old Guard. He doesn't get it and never will.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:18 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,409,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm not even going to waste my time responding to Old Guard. He doesn't get it and never will.
And I'll bet he doesn't have any daughters that may either be at home by themselves or live by themselves. Both of my kids were taught properly. The dog cornered a groundhog against the house the other day. I called my 14-year old and told him to dispatch the varmint. No problem. He came inside, picked the right weapon, aligned the shot with correct angles (no bullets into house), made sure lane is clear of me and dog...

Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,495,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I understand perfectly, I can see both sides of the argument well. It is not a victim mentality. If you were attempting to assert his actions were rooted in paranoia, then you would have more of a legitimate hypothesis, until it is pointed out that there are well over one million violent crimes in this country every year.
In the one million violent crimes a year how many does the victim use a gun to successfully defend themselves?
Quote:
That, and the fact that it is not a victim mentality to plan for your family's safety. In fact it is quite the opposite. To take responsibility for your own well being and those close to you is the direct opposite of a victim.
I plan, which is why I do not think a gun a necessary for defense. I take responsibility for my own well being and those close to me. That is why I think in most situations a gun is a bad choice. People think that just because they have a gun they and their family are safe. It actually increases the danger to the family on a few levels.
Quote:
As far as 'no confidence he can defend himself', I'm not certain I have heard a much more immature statement, in recent memory. The backwards logic of considering that a 'self fulfilling prophecy' is only doubling down on your insults. It is very possible someone is in no position to defend themselves physically and therefore finds other means of protection.
It is also possible that a person like that is a walking gun rack for someone who is not weak.
Quote:
Is it your intent to call people that do that unworthy of the right to defend life and property, or just to sneer insultingly at elderly or disabled people with this mindset?
I think there are too many people who have watched too many movies and actually increase the danger to themselves and the ones they love.
Quote:
Yes you do. But you know well that is not the point I was making. You do not have the right to force other free men to submit to your unreasonable wishes to limit their right to life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness.
This is not about the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You can actually be alive, happy and free without a gun.
Quote:
The amount and frequency of your replies in this thread contradicts that statement.
I am not sure how. Some of the responses in this intelligent thread are pure fantasy.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Some people can't read.

If you are worried about reading perhaps you should read the post I was replying to and not choose a random post that you would like to apply my response to. It is why they have the quote feature.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
And I'll bet he doesn't have any daughters that may either be at home by themselves or live by themselves. Both of my kids were taught properly. The dog cornered a groundhog against the house the other day. I called my 14-year old and told him to dispatch the varmint. No problem. He came inside, picked the right weapon, aligned the shot with correct angles (no bullets into house), made sure lane is clear of me and dog...
He defended himself against a trapped ground hog with a gun while you and your dog had his back. So much pride warranted. Such home defensiness.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,409,120 times
Quote:
He defended himself against a trapped ground hog with a gun while you and your dog had his back. So much pride warranted. Such home defensiness.
You missed the point completely (which doesn't surprise me). The point was about proper weapons handling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.