Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Relax, light up a Lucky, and enjoy the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfMaXz6DBr0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 05:28 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
I skimmed through the thread and didn't see this linked, so I'll do it. It's a site called Nukemap.

You use Google Maps and a selection of nukes to bomb wherever you like. There are preset cities or use your zip code to see what it does to your area. You can select air burst or surface burst and different nukes. It can even show how fallout would behave.

You can nuke anywhere you want, but I'd be careful nuking certain areas or you may end up on a list. Just sayin'. lol

Old 10-15-2016, 05:41 PM

381 posts, read 642,919 times
who would want to survive a nuclear war?

Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Anyone have insight into the nuclear targeting strategies of Russia and China? My residence is fairly close to several military installations that are likely targets. The sites have long runways and a port.

If these targets would be considered "hard" and hit by a surface or low altitude burst, it is better for my dwelling and thermal effects, as the fireball would likely be behind a hill and the overpressure wave would have to turn a corner. If they're considered soft and would draw an air burst meant to maximize a 5psi overpressure wave, I could be in immediate trouble in the case of a DF-5.

I'm thinking that the military targets are probably considered hard, and would merit a surface burst, so I should just plan on sheltering in place until the shockwave has passed. Thoughts?
Surface bursts are rarely warranted.

The basic idea is to maximize over-pressure to crush silo doors at ICBM fields; collapse reveted hard stands sheltering aircraft on air-fields; and collapse other structures at designated targets.

Any ICBM attack by a foreign power would start with the detonation of two to three 450 kt warheads about 80 miles above the Earth's surface over the United States to maximize EMP damage. After all, ICBMs are strategic weapons designed to impair the ability to fight by destroying the government's ability to collect taxes, engage in commerce and produce war materiel.

You should consider that the aircraft at those air bases will probably be deployed to their Forward Operating Bases by the time the conflict escalates to nuclear, meaning the bases would not be potential targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
We have a hard rock mine 5 miles from the house. See ya when the fallout stops.
What fallout?

Apparently, the great lot of you are confused by the terms "thermo-nuclear" and "fission-fusion." You might want to back up, re-group and re-calculate.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:19 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
The USA has detonated over 1000 atomic bombs in this country. We're still here.

Worldwide, there's been over 2000 nuclear explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lquok4Pdk

Old 10-15-2016, 06:20 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
I tried that map. Pretty cool, but if Vegas or any major western cities get nuked much of the areas survivalists look at are in trouble from fallout, at least with a prevailing sw wind.

We seem to be relatively safe. The desert wins again. No nukes, no fallout, not many people can make it here, or would want to.

Only little thing, it looks like Lake Mead will glow, so water would be unusable.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:54 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
What are you all going to do if the tooth fairy starts implanting time-released radioactive nuggets under your pillow?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Anyone have insight into the nuclear targeting strategies of Russia and China?
Till now they havent started a war on their own in the recent past. First strike from them is highly unlikely.

The distance and technology will save US, unless the Russians move everything to the Alaska coast which is highly unlikely .

Old 10-15-2016, 09:17 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
What are you all going to do if the tooth fairy starts implanting time-released radioactive nuggets under your pillow?
Don't worry, global warming will take her out before she could do that

Old 10-15-2016, 09:29 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Back in the late 70s, when the president ordered us to come up with plans to continue the nuclear war beyond the execution of the initial Major Attack Option, at the Strategic Air Combat Operations Staff at Offutt, we determined that survival opportunity was pretty good if you were at least 100 miles from a major metropolitan area, had thirty days of containered food and water, and were real careful about cleanliness (washing off alpha-particle contaminated dust) for the first month.

If you decided life wasn't worth living after the first month, there was always the gun barrel in the mouth decision.

But we planned for folks to survive.

Not me...we estimated there were 25-30 warheads targeted for the spot I was sitting. But we had people we intended to survive.

BTW, "tactical" weapons are not on suborbital rockets. The US landmass would not be struck with anything "tactical."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness