Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:17 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Happy in Wyoming is right, your current location is now a target for your neighbors and their friends if a serious SHTF happens. You moved into an area and "assume" you know these people. The smartest thing to do is to stay quiet about your prepps.

My question is how did you find out that these neighbors were preppers? Did you place an add in the local paper or did you just stop by and introduce yourself as a prepper. Any way that you did it, those people are probably happy to know this about you and will lead you on that they are also preppers. Did they show you their stores? Do you know who they are associated with? Here's what I know you do know about them "nothing".

People can be real nice when everything is normal but if TEOTWAWKI happens all bets are off.

BTW never count on anything in freezer for stored food. You are not going to have power and a generator can malfunction or run out of fuel or be stolen. Solar cells can't produce enough power so what do you have left except a freezer full of spoiled food.
First, He could be right. You know nothing of our locale. I do. How did I determine they were preppers? Pretty simple once you get to know someone. Neither of us are from this area. Which is how we got to talking. In a SHTF situation, there will be no leaving where we live. Riding out the storm will have to happen.

OF course they aren't crazy prepppers, they just believe in being prepared. Maybe that is the difference between a crazy prepper and a sane prepper?

As far as counting on the freezer, that is the whole purpose of this post. Freezer is nice, as long as you have electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
When Joseph revealed the meaning of Pharaoh's dream, they stored Grains, not frozen food neither dried meat or fish...
ahhhh...grains...are you a vegan?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
So go herbivore and don't worry about fats and proteins. In ancient Egypt, they have a hot climate well suited to growing plants. I live in the northern latitudes and growing plants for food is difficult.

My area has a very short growing season, so animal products of meat, fats and dairy are the mainstay if you're looking for long term survival in conjunction with gathering a lot of wild plant foods, (not a stable resource), or having a greenhouse to try and grow something with a more than 90 day season.

Grains grow OK, wheat, barley, oats, but you need a lot of ground and equipment to produce enough to be worth the expense and labor.

If you're living natural, you have to look at what you can produce where you are, not substitute you're political beliefs about diet unless you have the luxury of a food supply chain from areas that can grow what you want to eat.
I agree 100% on this bolded part. I am slowly learning the ways of the Native where I live. Hard to live that way with modern changes, but it is good to know other ways to cure food.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:13 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not - but if you've never eaten freeze dried food (or canned meat) for a few days straight - it has a tendency to reek havoc on your digestive system until you become acclimated. good idea to buy a bulk supply of stool softeners to help things pass otherwise you may find yourself "locked-up". old guy speaking from experience...

Old 12-07-2016, 02:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Happy in Wyoming is right, your current location is now a target for your neighbors and their friends if a serious SHTF happens. You moved into an area and "assume" you know these people. The smartest thing to do is to stay quiet about your prepps.

My question is how did you find out that these neighbors were preppers? Did you place an add in the local paper or did you just stop by and introduce yourself as a prepper. Any way that you did it, those people are probably happy to know this about you and will lead you on that they are also preppers. Did they show you their stores? Do you know who they are associated with? Here's what I know you do know about them "nothing".

People can be real nice when everything is normal but if TEOTWAWKI happens all bets are off.

BTW never count on anything in freezer for stored food. You are not going to have power and a generator can malfunction or run out of fuel or be stolen. Solar cells can't produce enough power so what do you have left except a freezer full of spoiled food.
So many people just can't keep quiet. In fact, police commonly catch criminals because of stool pigeons or just people who need to brag. Burglars can use information as well. When you tell one person one person you are telling everyone that he tells whether his intent is criminal or he simply must talk.

On another point, i have a gas freezer that works fine with no electricity.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
So go herbivore and don't worry about fats and proteins. In ancient Egypt, they have a hot climate well suited to growing plants. I live in the northern latitudes and growing plants for food is difficult.

My area has a very short growing season, so animal products of meat, fats and dairy are the mainstay if you're looking for long term survival in conjunction with gathering a lot of wild plant foods, (not a stable resource), or having a greenhouse to try and grow something with a more than 90 day season.

Grains grow OK, wheat, barley, oats, but you need a lot of ground and equipment to produce enough to be worth the expense and labor.

If you're living natural, you have to look at what you can produce where you are, not substitute you're political beliefs about diet unless you have the luxury of a food supply chain from areas that can grow what you want to eat.
Soy beans and common beans do have Proteins from 36% to 26%, respectively, and Sunflower seed and Soy bean have fats from 35% to 19.9%, respectively. I am not a vegeterian, all I am Saying is that even animals require their proteins and fats from plants, they store something and poop other something, that is what among veterinarians is called Efficiency of conversión from Vegetable Proteins and vegetable fat to animal protein and animal fat.

Now, I agree that far in the northern Latitudes the Winter disables many cereals from cultivation.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Everyone talks about their food storage and it really got me to thinking about what/how we store our food. I've slowly been making local friends that aren't crazy preppers, but are willing to be prepared One thing we've all talked about are the different scenarios when SHTF.

A freezer is great, if you get to stay in your home with electricity. It isn't so great if you got to go mobile or you lose electricity.

I have enough protein and omega-3s to last me two years, if I can keep it frozen.

It's not: Don't store your stash in your house....It is: Don't put all your eggs into one basket

This summer I plan on drying a lot of my fish. I've already started canning my fish, but I want to look into using actual cans and not jars (cans shouldn't break in an earthquake).

What are ways you guys store besides a freezer?
You know those boxes that canning jars come in, the ones with dividers between the jars? Store your full jars in them. If you are short of canning jar boxes, hit up your local liquor store for shipping boxes for booze, which also have protective dividers. Store your canned food in cabinets with latching doors so the glass doesn't end up on the floor.

Cans are nice, but the food you can in glass will be edible for years after the stuff in cans has eaten through the metal and turned into a rotting mess.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Everyone talks about their food storage and it really got me to thinking about what/how we store our food. I've slowly been making local friends that aren't crazy preppers, but are willing to be prepared One thing we've all talked about are the different scenarios when SHTF.

A freezer is great, if you get to stay in your home with electricity. It isn't so great if you got to go mobile or you lose electricity.

I have enough protein and omega-3s to last me two years, if I can keep it frozen.

It's not: Don't store your stash in your house....It is: Don't put all your eggs into one basket

This summer I plan on drying a lot of my fish. I've already started canning my fish, but I want to look into using actual cans and not jars (cans shouldn't break in an earthquake).

What are ways you guys store besides a freezer?

you can buy tons of spaghetti and meatballs and canned tuna, chicken and all kinds of protein now that doesn't need refrigeration....

just need a can opener...

and canned veggies.....puddings,,,,,,fruits.....

and on and on and on ..
and don forget peanut butter.....

tons of foods today that wasn't here 50 yrs ago

Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You know those boxes that canning jars come in, the ones with dividers between the jars? Store your full jars in them. If you are short of canning jar boxes, hit up your local liquor store for shipping boxes for booze, which also have protective dividers. Store your canned food in cabinets with latching doors so the glass doesn't end up on the floor.

Cans are nice, but the food you can in glass will be edible for years after the stuff in cans has eaten through the metal and turned into a rotting mess.
That's what we use now. It is a great way to store them.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:51 PM

What I'm learning is that there are many different strategies for prepping. You can prepare but if you truly want to cover all your bases you need space, money, and time. Unfortunately most of us are limited in at least one of those areas.
I've also learned that I'm supposed to keep all plans secret and. It discuss anything. I guess being online is stupid. Talking strategy with a like minded friend is stupid as well. I mean screw those other people.
Not an expert in any specific area. I have weaknesses and I have no problem developing relationships with people that might be able to help. Heck even if someone wasn't prepared and needed help in a SHTF situation, I'd help.
Maybe that's because of what I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness