Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:45 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times

Advertisements

In a long disaster period, people with guns will run out of ammo. The survivors will be those intelligent and courageous enough to be able to survive on their own, without such crutches. Even if you think you have enough ammo, things will happen to it. It will get destroyed in fires, stolen, abandoned by fleeing survivors who have to travel light, etc. You should train yourself to survive with more primitive weapons and tools. Such as a knife, an ax, etc. When fleeing a disaster, you will spend a lot of time in wilderness, with dangerous animals such as wolves and bears. You need the skills to defend against those even when you have no ammo. You need to be able to make your own tools and weapons, even if you find yourself totally isolated, with all your stuff gone. You need to be able to use rocks, to break them against each other, to make sharp edges, to be able to hack and carve wood. You need to be able to make spears and other weapons, starting with nothing but your bare hands. You need skills at killing large animals with spears. Do you have those skills, or are you going to rely on the crutches provided to you by civilization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 10:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
In a long disaster period, people with guns will run out of ammo. The survivors will be those intelligent and courageous enough to be able to survive on their own, without such crutches. Even if you think you have enough ammo, things will happen to it. It will get destroyed in fires, stolen, abandoned by fleeing survivors who have to travel light, etc. You should train yourself to survive with more primitive weapons and tools.

When Jerusalén was about to be destroyed, Jesús told his disciples to fly away from the city when rumors of war were heard, They survived the Destruction that Romans made to Jerusalem and the slavery that all captured Jews were forced to go after being defeated.

The well entusiastic, extasic, warmongerer jew who remained in the City to defeat the Romans.... believed in the power of the swords and shafts, all of them if didn't die, were made slaves until their death.

Quote:
Such as a knife, an ax, etc. When fleeing a disaster, you will spend a lot of time in wilderness, with dangerous animals such as wolves and bears.

Buy a Machete, they are legal in most countries, are excelent for cuting foliage and for defending oneself from others I carry two of them in my car since I use them in my fields.

http://www.ferreteriamodelo.mx/asset.../234200050.png

Quote:
You need the skills to defend against those even when you have no ammo. You need to be able to make your own tools and weapons, even if you find yourself totally isolated, with all your stuff gone. You need to be able to use rocks, to break them against each other, to make sharp edges, to be able to hack and carve wood. You need to be able to make spears and other weapons, starting with nothing but your bare hands. You need skills at killing large animals with spears. Do you have those skills, or are you going to rely on the crutches provided to you by civilization?

a Machete is more than enough.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 AM

Somehow JRR Tolkien wanted to tell us about the evil in the act of cumulating wealth as the dwarves did, there is always going to be someone else who will challenge the forces of the keepers. and no matter how strong you think you are you will be challenge even by many enemies at the same time.

Tolkien makes that differenciation between the hobbits and the dwarves, the hobbits were not even taken into accounts since they were not worried by cumulating wealth and gold, they were worried only in living the day, working to have food and preparing festivals, in Exchange the dwarves worked hard to find gold and gems and dominate the markets and trading of goods by making their currency the one worthy to be exchanged.

At the end many armies destroyed the city of the dwarves and the shire was over taken by Saruman but since he had no way to get richer from por hobbits he was defeated by few of them.

The wealth you cumulate will make your enemy far mor powerful if he defeats you and take it for his purposes, thus, do not make enemies, do not cumulate wealth.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
a Machete is more than enough.
Until someone steals it or something. You need to be able to survive even if you get raided and lose everything and flee in a panic with nothing but what you happen to be wearing at the moment. The most important weapons are the ones you can make yourself, starting when you have nothing but your bare hands. One advantage of a knife is that you can be in the habit of always having it on your person, and thereby be less likely to lose it. But you have to be able to survive even if you lose that.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
I really see much of the opening Post as a Total Dechristianized atitude, Seems to me a Jungle Law believer in stead of a Jesús Believer.

Do not take me bad, I endorse having a gun to defend my family, but ¿How many would use their guns to thieve the non gun families? thus to some extend it is clear to me that gun lovers are more dangerous than anti gun activists.

In an egotistical society of racial supremacists ¿how can there be peace without guns? ¿Shouldn't we fix the core problems of a divided society incapable of reaching a status of kindness and mutual apreciation rather than simply endorsing a balance of gun holders?

Minorities are getting armed to the teeth after Trump won.
This idea is totally fruit-loopy, 'Jesus' and religion have nothing to do with this. You are adding nothing worthwhile to the discussion.

Nor is pretty well on, generally speaking. Those without means and will to survive, would not, unless someone is willing to take charge of them and tell them what to do...which could be good or bad for them depending on the motivations of their 'rescuers'.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
This idea is totally fruit-loopy, 'Jesus' and religion have nothing to do with this. You are adding nothing worthwhile to the discussion.

Nor is pretty well on, generally speaking. Those without means and will to survive, would not, unless someone is willing to take charge of them and tell them what to do...which could be good or bad for them depending on the motivations of their 'rescuers'.

That is the mentality which explains clear the way US operates its depredatory relations with oil rich countries.

James 4:1 - 17

1 What leads to war, what leads to quarrelling among you? I will tell you what leads to them; the appetites which infest your mortal bodies.
2 Your desires go unfulfilled, so you fall to murdering; you set your heart on something, and cannot have your will, so there is quarrelling and fighting. Why cannot you have your will? Because you do not pray for it,
3 or you pray, and what you ask for is denied you, because you ask for it with ill intent; you would squander it on your appetites.
4 Wantons, have you never been told that the world’s friendship means enmity with God, and the man who would have the world for his friend makes himself God’s enemy?
5 Do you think scripture means nothing when it tells you that the Spirit which dwells in you loves with a jealous love?[1]
6 No, the grace he gives us is something better still; and so he tells us, God flouts the scornful, and gives the humble man his grace.[2]
7 Be God’s true subjects, then; stand firm against the devil, and he will run away from you,
8 come close to God, and he will come close to you. You that are sinners must wash your hands clean, you that are in two minds must purify the intention of your hearts.
9 Bring yourselves low with mourning and weeping, turn your laughter into sadness, your joy into downcast looks;
10 humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

11 Brethren, do not disparage one another. In disparaging one of his brethren, in passing judgement on him, a man disparages the law, passes judgement on the law; and in passing judgement on the law thou art setting thyself up to be its censor, instead of obeying it.
12 There is only one Lawgiver, only one Judge, he who has power to destroy and to set free.
13 Who art thou, to sit in judgement on thy neighbour?

See how you go about saying, To-day, or to-morrow, we will make our way to such and such a town, spend a year there, and make profit by trading,
14 when you have no means of telling what the morrow will bring.
15 What is your life but a wisp of smoke, which shews for a moment and then must vanish into nothing? You ought to be saying, We will do this or that if it is the Lord’s will, and if life is granted us. 16 As it is, your self-conceit makes boasters of you; all such boastfulness is an evil thing.
17 Yes, if a man has the power to do good, it is sinful in him to leave it undone.[3]

In the Middle Age, The Monks, the Nuns, the priests and the bishops created the Monasteries, whcih were fortress to keep Peace inside in the middle of a very rustic europe not any longer driven by the ideals of civilization but rather driven by the ideals of stealing, conquering, killing, by mean of the force The barbarians of the east of the Rhin seam not having understood that in more than one and a half milleniums.

Last edited by Alonso_Castillo; 12-09-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 02:39 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Well; this is a topic of interest to me because I live with a man who has prepper habits & seems; at face value, to be the sort who would be voted among the "Most Likely to Survive".

And he seems; for whatever reason, to delight in rubbing my nose in what he feels rates me in the "Least Likely to Survive" crowd.

Why this makes him so happy I can't begin to know but I have my doubts based on my observations on flaws of personality which I feel are not given the credit they are due.

He: Stockpiles guns & ammo & is adept at knowing how to use them. Experienced hunter. Has a good supply of "Go-Bags" with first-aid supplies, water treatments, tarps, batteries, etc ...

Is physically dominant, even over most men: 6'4" & a strong, blue-collar worker his whole life (Welder by trade). Spent every summer from ages 8-18 working the family farm & is amazingly mechanically inclined.

Has a very alpha psychological advantage over people, including men. He works as a Supervisor in a metals shop & runs a crew for a company that reaps tax breaks by hiring convicted felons. When I say "convicted felons" I mean guys still on paper & living in community transition housing. He's the only one that can handle them; his reputation extends beyond his place of work. All new hires are warned with the story of "the day M** took a guys face off".

He did time in prison at 18 yrs old & he knows what he's working with. Has survived with battle scars multiple motorcycle accidents ... has been shot at & stabbed.

He doesn't drink or smoke or do drugs. From the standpoint of a prepper; he WILL survive.

I: Am a polar opposite. Obviously female & suffer from Microcytic Anemia. Living at 7,000ft elevation this is an automatic handicap. I do not well tolerate extreme heat nor the cold; my body doesn't have the blood volume needed to provide me with basic thermo-regulation. My endurance physically is poor.

I can't use a gun. TBH; I don't know if I could harm a living thing. I have a black thumb & know nothing about cultivation. I'm disorganized ... it takes me 10 minutes to find the Tylenol or a band-aid. I *think* I have some water stored ... somewhere. I go to the grocery store almost daily; there are no pantry "rations" available.

Psychologically; I'm a "Pollyanna" & a terrible judge of character. I like everybody & can't understand why anybody ... wouldn't like me.

From a Prepper's view; I will perish within 24 hrs. Only the very old, very young or very sick would be worse off.

BUT ...

He: Has spent his entire life at the benefit of "White-Male Privilege" (sorry but it's true) as an American citizen. Top of the human food chain. Always defered to. Always addressed as "Sir". He's never "wanted" for anything. Food, shelter & good health are his without contest & he's NEVER done without; not by luck of circumstance nor his own fault.

He's a Pessimist. And borderline Paranoid. He trusts no one & that phrase is literally tattooed across his back. A sore knee becomes the harbinger of doom & prompts statements like "Why Me?", "Now What?", & "It's Over".

He ... feels sorry for himself. Is a believer of the meme "Men in denim built this country ; Men in suits have ruined it". He pouts, sulks & carries a grudge. Thinks everybody dislikes him (although the opposite is the truth).

He's never lost ANYTHING (besides his first marriage) but yet never "gets ahead". Thinks he never will.

I: Have lost everything ... 3 times. I mean EVERYTHING. Belongings tossed to the curb at eviction, in the cold with no money in my pocket ... pregnant, tired, hungry & jobless. Children taken in by grandparents & 22 years ago I buried a child. I know what it means to really "Lose".

I've sustained head injuries & black eyes from men against whom I had no chance of physically dominating ... but fought for my life anyway. For a period of time & not for the benefit of a pimp or madame; I exploited MYSELF as a commodity. I am not afraid nor ashamed to do whatever it takes to ... survive. I'd do it again, right now, if I had to.

I've never stolen from, nor harmed; anybody. I put myself through school & am an RN with experience in Surgical/Trauma (thats got to count for something if TS were to hit TF).

I've worked the entire way through the pregnancys of all 11 children that I've born. With my first set of twins my water broke in a patients room. With my 8th child, out of neccesity; I didn't even take a maternity leave; I had him on Sunday & was back at work for a 12 hr shift by Wednesday.

I have just 3 kids left at home now & the youngest is severly disabled with Autism but stands 5'10" & 200lbs at age 13. He bolts unexpectedley ... needs help with toileting, bathing, dressing, etc ...And despite the Anemia that has caused my hemoglobin level to drop to 7 & despite the fact that I live at 7,000ft elevation, I am up at the crack of dawn & he is safe & cared for all day.

If an adult male of average health were to understand what this was like, they would have to donate 7 units of blood all at once & walk out the door to the top of a mountain. I've taken care of grown men at this elevation in the hospital with hemoglobin levels at 10 that couldn't walk to the bathroom ...

"He" has a sore knee & becomes utterly dismayed at his potential vulnerability ... "I" would feel possesed by super-powers if all I had to contend with were a sore knee.

"He" dislikes everyone & trusts not anybody & feels that affords him protection..."I" would unknowingly be friendly to Satan himself but because of that; I have also "entertained angels unawares".

To me; at least, he appears as the "Dead Man Walking". He is so assured of his own defeat ... in the face of REAL adversity; would he truly survive??

I feel like within the context of survival; there is a Psychological component that is often overlooked. I feel like there is plenty of history that shows that "Survival of the Fittest" (for humans) has not been decided by "Might makes Right" or even having Opposable Thumbs; but more so the mental capacity to learn from & overcome adversity.

My only other caution is in regards to "those on public assistance" as being among those least likely to survive:

For the most part this may be true ... EXCEPT for the fact that there are; within their ranks, those that abuse by use. They are parasitic by nature & adept at manipulation & appearance of vulnerability by deception. A human cockroach; of sorts. And they are literally too selfish to die easy ... their ability to get the most while doing the least will serve them well during a WTSHTF scenario. There IS a reason why it is said that the cockroach might survive a nuclear war.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I: Have lost everything ... 3 times. I mean EVERYTHING. Belongings tossed to the curb at eviction, in the cold with no money in my pocket ... pregnant, tired, hungry & jobless. Children taken in by grandparents & 22 years ago I buried a child. I know what it means to really "Lose".

I feel like within the context of survival; there is a Psychological component that is often overlooked. I feel like there is plenty of history that shows that "Survival of the Fittest" (for humans) has not been decided by "Might makes Right" or even having Opposable Thumbs; but more so the mental capacity to learn from & overcome adversity.
Sounds like you are a real survivor!

You have everything you need. "He" sounds like he does not.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There is this idea afoot, that stockpiling food and guns is what everyone should do, if they wish to survive a long-term crisis. While it would be better for this country if more people did that, there are four groups of people who might be less likely to survive, no matter what they stockpile:

1) The Disabled, to include the obese, the insulin-dependent diabetics, the oxygen-dependent, those who need dialysis, those with respiratory issues like COPD or heart ailments, frail elderly, and the mobiliity impaired.
Why: To survive, you must be able to move. People should be able to walk at least an hour, if transportation or gasoline availability is compromised.

2) The Government-Dependent, including welfare recipients, SSDI recipients, the poor, some minorities, alcoholics, drug addicts, those dependent upon prescription pain-killers or opiates.
Why: Such people have a dependency mindset, are not independent of their addictions, or are so poor that they have very few options in life. Anyone who riots or loots will likely be taken out.

3) Anti-Gunners, Peace Types, Tree-Huggers. Such people live in a fantasy bubble. Usually urban liberals and women, they are typically in debt, addicted to trendy fashions, totally in denial that the world as they know it could ever change, are very PC, metrosexual, and antithetical to self-sufficiency.
Why: They will just freak out (as many of them did when Trump was unexpectedly elected). They are emotionally immature, unprepared, spoiled, and unable to deal with adverse events that upend their lives.

4) Children, especially undisciplined children, whose parents try to be "friends" with them, allow them to run around and scream, spoil them, and never insist that they obey parental directives.
Why: An undisciplined child, never taught to obey or follow instructions, may find that it costs them their lives. It's something like an untrained dog who runs into the street and gets killed. Children do not understand life-changing events at first,and should depend upon their parents for their safety.

Can you think of any more vulnerable groups of people?
HAH, HAH HAH HAH HAH hah hah hah hah hah, oh, man, hah hah hah hah HAH! The funniest post of the week. Maybe the month. Or even the year!!! Oh, HOH, HOH, HOH, HOH, HOH!!!!!

Old 12-09-2016, 03:55 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
If I may toss out another category.

Those that are ill-prepared for their weather/climate. There's many that live in freezing temps that won't fare well if the electricity/heat turns off. Same for those in hot/arid climates. And mom-nature likes to throw in a storm/hurricane/tornado... to keep us on our toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness