Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:48 PM

60 posts, read 51,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Actually, paying off any unpaid dept will fix your credit score. Who told you that? What other debts do you have but are not mentioning? The $300 and 400 credit score doesn't add up.

Also, can't you look in to Section 8 housing since you are already on Food Stamps? Have you ever thought about that?
$300. That is it. I have read on a lot of sites it is better not to pay, as it will not change your score at all. I guess we have to file for bankruptcy?

No, I have not thought about Section 8, as it does not pay for an RV...

Old 12-26-2016, 11:54 PM

231 posts, read 229,044 times
I don't know your situation. But i have four different friends who are "disabled" vets.

They each get good money from the government each month. They each work jobs too.

Maybe you or your husband can seek employment to improve your situation?

Old 12-27-2016, 12:04 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya1985 View Post
I am sorry, but how is it my husband's FAULT he is disabled?

What actions did he take to choose to become disabled?

Please explain why I should not report this comment?
It's not his fault he is disabled, but it is his fault he doesn't have a job. I have a friend who is very nearly quadriplegic. He doesn't get out of his powered wheelchair from the time he gets up in the morning until he goes to bed at night. He even showers in the wheelchair. He holds a 40 hour a week job in a call center. He does the work he can do. If your husband is missing his arms or legs, he is disabled but not unemployable. If nothing else, you can go to work . It's your responsibility to support your family.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Tanya - The last time I trusted someone who had a story that was very similar to yours, I had my house robbed. Please don't criticize me for being cautious. And 'reporting' me for saying what I said .. that is not exactly friendly (nor do I think it will go far) .. I was offering advice even if you didn't like it. I am an older female alone - I could not take that kind of chance again.

You keep saying that all you owe is $300 - but you admit you owe that I think? Why does it matter if it fixes your credit score if you pay it or not .. isn't it the right thing to do to pay it anyway? And if I were you, I think I would pay it before it was $400 or more (with interest/fees, etc.).

And frankly when you tell us that you have moved so many times in a short period and don't really explain why that is, I don't think you can be upset when we jump to conclusions. 'On paper' it sounds as though you may always be running from something. You don't sound like a very good credit risk right now but whose fault is that - and is that any surprise to you?

I am not a bank or a finance company so I cannot say if those would give you a loan but it would surprise me if they did given what you have told us here. If you wanted to buy an RV from me (and wanted me in some way to give you credit to do so so you could avoid having to qualify with a bank or finance company), I think I would be stupid to give you that credit based on what I know right now. What is your monthly income? How many people are you supporting? How long have you been at your current address? How long have you been at your job? How much do you have to put down? Would you give yourself a loan based on what you have told us so far?

Last edited by Aery11; 12-27-2016 at 01:34 AM..

Old 12-27-2016, 05:29 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Excuse me??? What the F is wrong with you scumbags? At least I don't rape my daughters like YOU. You disgusting pervert!
Quote:
"With that record"??? $300? Are you serious? You never heard of anyone owing $300 before? Well, let me tell you, there are people out there that owe WAY more than that!

This whole thread is about better our lives. So it what way is it not?

Seriously, why is everyone on this forum a rotten a-hole?

If you are not here to be constructive-YOU WILL BE REPORTED!
First of all, this is the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum....we are a group of survivalists, farmers, ranchers, DIYers, and people who work hard. We don't take gov't money, and as a group, our credit is pretty excellent. We all seem to be property owners here.

This is not the Economics board, nor Real Estate, nor House. Still, we try to be helpful if we can.

Language such as bolded above is almost never used here. It does not make anyone anxious to help.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:41 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,504 times
Tanya, don't finance an RV. Get a trailer and pay it cash. I've lived in a lot of RV parks and seen folks of all walks of life living in their RV or travel trailer. I knew a couple who was living out of a $500 5th wheel trailer. When they needed to move it, they called a tow truck or a friend with a truck. They didn't even have a way of movig it themselves. You can expect to pay on average $500 per month if you own the RV/trailer. Some sites as low as 250/mo and some as high as $1000. But typically $500 give or take will cover the lot and electricity. You will also need propane for cooking and heat but that's pretty cheap. Expect to have to maintain what you own just like you would your own house. Things will break and need repair. Tires will need to get replaced, etc. but there is no cheaper way to live and the ability to sleep in the occasional parking lot for free in your own bed is nice. Feel free to ask me any questions. My family lives in rv though we are staying with relatives for the hollidays.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:39 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
$300. That is it. I have read on a lot of sites it is better not to pay, as it will not change your score at all. I guess we have to file for bankruptcy?

No, I have not thought about Section 8, as it does not pay for an RV...
Whether it will help your score( which it should) is irrelevant. Changing your mentality towards responsibility and better financial decisions will change your situation for the better. BK will cost you more.

You owe the money, pay it. You want to better yourself, do it. You might find a rent to own while you get on track. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
So we thought about Road-Schooling. Getting an RV, and just traveling about.
Traveling is far more expensive than staying put. It's not fair to your children, either.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Quote:
Looking for a safe place to live in 3rd world America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I think we've reached the crux of the OP's perception of the real problem. Good luck living off of the welfare our 3rd world country provides for you.
Quote:
Excuse me?
Need me to explain it to you? Ok, from your OP you sound like you're from the United Kingdom (being a full-time mum and all). You have the audacity to ask for help from people you consider living in a "3rd world America". My guess is you met and married a American GI overseas and moved here with him. You seem to be disenfranchised about the entire situation and don't like it here. Apparently, he's disabled to the point he can't work and you've decided that you'd rather be a full-time mum rather than work for your family even though you have a stay at home husband. From your posts I know you're family is on at least food stamps and military disability.

I guess you think calling us a 3rd world country will get some extra props, but to me it pisses me off. I doubt your husband would consider us that, and if he does shame on him. As a military veteran that spent three years on overseas deployments I can assure you there are worst places to be. Do you know what would happen to you both if you actually lived in a third world country? You wouldn't be getting the benefits and welfare that you're getting now, I can tell you that.

As I said, enjoy your welfare and the fact that you don't have to work. Good luck telling us all how bad you have it here in 3rd world America, because I'm not buying it. We all make choices, and we all have to live with those choices. Your true personality came out in further posts, so I don't doubt my assumptions here at all.

Quote:
Happy Holidays!
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-27-2016, 10:38 AM

324 posts, read 271,195 times
Just a foot note.

There is NO company that will finance and rv for full time living. None, zip, zilch..... in order to get and rv loan you need Good credit, a nice down payment and a PERMANENT living address.

I did look as I wanted a newer camper with a bit more room and working windows, not asking for more than 5,000 and could NOT get a company to touch it.......

However. My husband had a stroke 3 months ago, is out of work for who knows how long, is waiting on SSDI to make a decision and I'm working as many hours as I POSSIBLY can to barely cover our main bills..... an WE LIVE IN A CAMPER AT AN RV PARK.... bills are around 1000 a month for rent, power, propane, car ins, my phone, gas and other small things....

Sorry hun, put your big girl panties on and go get some sort of job to help out. Hubby can stay home and care for the kids right now until you get things straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness