Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

I read a good thing for almost anyone to have is something that will generate enough power to do simple things like phones or a computer. Do you have something human powered that will do this? I read about generators that can be hand cranked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 04:58 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Better to have an exercise bike setup for the charging of small electronics and batteries. More efficient use of human power than hand cranking could ever be. Not to mention easier on the body.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:41 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,511 times
I tried this many years ago. You really cant generate much power. using a bike setup we were barely able to generate 200 watts for about an hour then were exhausted. I suppose a bike racer or marathoner could do better but not to many of us are them.....

Old 08-01-2017, 07:00 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I read a good thing for almost anyone to have is something that will generate enough power to do simple things like phones or a computer. Do you have something human powered that will do this? I read about generators that can be hand cranked.
Now, I'm thinking about this, and wondering what is the point? Seems much easier to me to just plug those electronics in to a wall socket.

If you are thinking for SHTF powering, I doubt if the internet and cell towers would work anyway. If they did, a small 15 or 20 watt folding solar panel would make more sense. But then, if the cell towers are working, the grid would be "up", and you could just plug in your devices.

If SHTF, there will be more to worry about than burying your nose in a smart phone....

Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdsOsCh9Lc

Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I tried this many years ago. You really cant generate much power. using a bike setup we were barely able to generate 200 watts for about an hour then were exhausted. I suppose a bike racer or marathoner could do better but not to many of us are them.....
200 watts is wayyyyyyy more power than you'd need for small electronics. Anything that accepts USB charging is 5w to 12w.

Human powered generators hooked directly to a 12v battery are a great source of backup power; you could ride at a VERY leisurely pace and put a few amp hours in per hour. This could then be used to charge flashlights, lanterns, phones, ipads, and laptops.

24-36 watts would probably be easier than walking and would power a family's worth of gadgets with only a couple hours pedaling.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:37 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
... a small 15 or 20 watt folding solar panel would make more sense. But then, if the cell towers are working, the grid would be "up", and you could just plug in your devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
... for small electronics. Anything that accepts USB charging is 5w to 12w.

Human powered generators hooked directly to a 12v battery are a great source of backup power; you could ride at a VERY leisurely pace and put a few amp hours in per hour. This could then be used to charge flashlights, lanterns, phones, ipads, and laptops.
Nothing at all wrong with having solar panels and a human powered generator.
Sometimes it is cloudy, and having other options is useful.
Odd that no one brought up charging batteries for two way radios.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Odd that no one brought up charging batteries for two way radios.
My point exactly, but everybody nowadays has phones and tablets on the brain, and wants to be sure that they are powered up so they don't miss anything on Facebook or Instagram.

Keeping a 12v battery charged is an excellent idea -- by whatever means - but there are better things to do with that power, than to keep phones charged. Radios of all sorts (shortwave, ham, CB, two-way), fans, lights, a small DC fridge, and power to start a home furnace come to mind.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:08 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
... so they don't miss anything on Facebook or Instagram.
For most of the emergency scenarios I write, Facebook and Instagram will not be a player inside the Area of Operations. Nor will any other cell phone or Internet connected service. Even with most of the local electronics surviving, if those services are up at all, they will be overloaded and undernourished, to the point of being useless.

Quote:
Keeping a 12v battery charged is an excellent idea -- by whatever means - but there are better things to do with that power, than to keep phones charged. Radios of all sorts (shortwave, ham, CB, two-way), fans, lights, a small DC fridge, and power to start a home furnace come to mind.
For me, everything but the furnace is in the mix. If it is cold, heat will be limited to one or two rooms.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
200 watts is wayyyyyyy more power than you'd need for small electronics. Anything that accepts USB charging is 5w to 12w.

24-36 watts would probably be easier than walking and would power a family's worth of gadgets with only a couple hours pedaling.
Not really. But at least you will be in good shape! Cardio IS important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness