Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:00 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times

Advertisements

I am about the least likely person ever to be a prepper. But now, I have had it. With NK actually threatening an EMP it is foolish not to be prepared. So this morning I went out and got like 4 cases of water and other non perishable foods.

Give me some advice.

One question..I live up north and have no fireplace. What could I do in case of no electricity in the winter for heat? There doesn't seem to be many options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 11:01 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,639,401 times
OK, first, how far north is "up north"?

then:
Are you a person of means?
Do you live in a house?
If the answers to the above two questions is yes,
then propane might be the way to go.

Do you have friends and/or family in the area?
If so, you should look into combining resources, to split your
workload and the financial burden among several people.

Have you read the book "One Second After" ?
Or any of the "Seven Cows, Ugly and Gaunt" series?

Old 09-09-2017, 11:46 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,594 times
To magnify all the responses imagine, if you can, that you are injured,sick or handcapped. There will be little , if any, help if you get hurt or are handicapped which can happen to anyone in an instant anytime anywhere.

So take emergency prepping seriously. As seriously as a heart attack.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM

OK, I just checked the posting history for "EmilyFoxSeaton" and am guessing Buffalo NY.
I see you live in a house with a basement. That helps.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
OK, I just checked the posting history for "EmilyFoxSeaton" and am guessing Buffalo NY. I see you live in a house with a basement. That helps.
LOL - but scary

Boston area and I have a townhouse with basement. 3 floors with an attic. I don't know if I have means but I have the money to take reasonable precautions. I have only a sister (and her husband) and they live about 30 miles from me. My townhouse neighbors are great though and I think I could count on them. Behind the townhouse I have a large conservation land area and, behind that, a farm. A real live working farm. It is quite big. My BIL has a gun, several actually but I do not and would have to learn.

This of course all assumes that any emergency would happen when I am at home. I work about 26 miles from my home. If I was there at the time I actually have a survival kit in my office... was provided for me by my employer and, best part, I work in law enforcement so there would be plenty of guns to go around. But I have no idea how I would get to my home.

Today I went out and got water and some food. I have ordered some non perishable food. And a crank radio. I have a microwave in my basement that isn't being used that I plan to put things in as a faraday box.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:41 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I have a microwave in my basement that isn't being used that I plan to put things in as a faraday box.
In an emergency that microwave is just an empty box since electric power is not a given. Neither is running water or flush toilet.

It may seem silly but learn all you can about living alone in the woods without any of our modern tools or aids. When it comes right down to it all humans come into this world naked and afraid. Humans have to provide everything else to survive! Everything else!!

Old 09-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Today I went out and got water and some food. I have ordered some non perishable food. And a crank radio. I have a microwave in my basement that isn't being used that I plan to put things in as a faraday box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
In an emergency that microwave is just an empty box since electric power is not a given. Neither is running water or flush toilet.
She means to use the microwave as a safe spot to store the radio, in case an EMP eats a lot of the electronics in her area. It isn't ideal, but a lot better than nothing.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Hmmm, Boston homes are generally heated with "heating oil."
There are workable solutions for that.
A small generator could supply electric power to run the furnace.

Population density in a large portion of Massachusetts is above 10,000 per square mile. I have never found a solution for dealing with so many people packed into a small area. Are you on really friendly working relationship with the people who run the farm? Could you trade working there for food?

Old 09-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Hmmm, Boston homes are generally heated with "heating oil."
There are workable solutions for that.
A small generator could supply electric power to run the furnace.
Population density in a large portion of Massachusetts is above 10,000 per square mile. I have never found a solution for dealing with so many people packed into a small area. Are you on really friendly working relationship with the people who run the farm? Could you trade working there for food?
No I have a heat pump for heat.

I thought that a generator would be toast in an EMP attack.

I would imagine the farm would help with provisions for those who needed it. But the key point is that there is substantial land back there and it is already in shape to grow things. So even if everyone died there would be land near by to grow my own stuff.

One problem is that there is no way I could install a generator wood stove before an attack. The townhouse wouldn't allow it. They don't appreciate preppers.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:25 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Better late than never. Its never too late to start.

You can even start very simply. Buy things like rice, pasta, dry beans, salt, flour and seal them up in Mylar bags packed with an oxygen absorber. Extremely cheap and will last a very long time.

Look into getting portable water filters. A personal favorite of mine are the individual "lifestraws" usually 15-20$ on Amazon. Get a couple and keep one in a bug out/get home bag.

But guns and learn how to use them. Buy ammo. Then buy more ammo. You can start simple something like a semi auto.22lr would be a great introduction and non intimidating gun to start learning. It's not very powrrful but it beats defending yourself with a pointy stick.

Get medical supplies and vitamins.

If you have more coin by the expensive freeze dried long term food.

Stock up on bottles water. Stock up on things like peanut butter jars and rotate your supply. Honey never expires.

Buy a metal garbage can with lid, line the inside with cardboard and you have a cheap faraday cage. Use metal tape to seal the edges. In the faraday cage things like ham radios, solar powered things, etc could all be useful later.

But a bug out / get home bag. Just imagine places you regularly travel to and all of a sudden you have to walk home. What would you do? What would you need? The average person can probably walk 15 to 20 miles a day. Think clothing dependent on the season, energy bars, water, water filtration, fire starting, self defense etc.. This bag can also double duty for if you get stranded in winter in your car in a snowstorm. Make it fun and practical. Regularly update it depending on the season.

Buy a set or 2 of survival seeds on Amazon. Usually find some for like 20$ sealed up that will be good for awhile If you ever need to plant a garden to survive.

Read read read the 3 books in the one second after series. Especially book one, "one second after".

That's a start off the top of my head.

Welcome to the club. I only started 1-2 years ago and I feel much more reassured that I have taken steps to improving my chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness