Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:14 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What does this have to with a rational discussion?
It belonged with post #69. This board has extremely limited editing time frames.

You a net cop? You come across that way at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 06:11 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Many home standby generators run on natural / propane gas. Not many fuel worries there......

To get us back on subject I have to wonder how many outside, whole house generators, went underwater during Florence or Harvey? Regardless of the fuel; water does not burn. I would bet that maybe thousands of people, that thought they were prepared, found out that their stationary generators were not the answer in flood prone areas of our Country.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:02 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
To get us back on subject I have to wonder how many outside, whole house generators, went underwater during Florence or Harvey? Regardless of the fuel; water does not burn. I would bet that maybe thousands of people, that thought they were prepared, found out that their stationary generators were not the answer in flood prone areas of our Country.
I would think that anyone in a flood zone or flood prone area with a stationary standby set would install it in a way to place it above potential flood waters. With 20+ years in the standby generator industry, I've never seen a unit in a flood zone that wasn't installed in a way that would place it above potential flood levels.

RM

Old 10-05-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I would think that anyone in a flood zone or flood prone area with a stationary standby set would install it in a way to place it above potential flood waters. With 20+ years in the standby generator industry, I've never seen a unit in a flood zone that wasn't installed in a way that would place it above potential flood levels.

RM
I would think so too. But those hurricanes were not the 'typical' hurricanes and many, that thought they were not in a flood zone, found out that they were in a flood zone.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
I would think so too. But those hurricanes were not the 'typical' hurricanes and many, that thought they were not in a flood zone, found out that they were in a flood zone.
Agreed. There is only so much one can do to protect the infrastructure. If things are that bad, you're going to be bugging out anyway, I would think.

So I guess we need to watch out for "deals" on cars and generators from that area for a while....

RM

Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
It belonged with post #69. This board has extremely limited editing time frames.
You a net cop? You come across that way at times.
He is the Barney Fife of the Net

Old 10-05-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
There are a LOT of people today that do not know they have become part of a flood zone.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:53 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
He is the Barney Fife of the Net
Sometimes it seems that way. As for me, I tend to enjoy displays of very unique personalties as long as some brains are backing it up. Boredom is one of my adversaries. Challenging to escape boredom with limited funds at times.

One of the worst thing about American life in 2018 is all the special snowflakes and dewdrops who get so offended by facts and opinions. Facts are quite literally illegal these days.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
There are a LOT of people today that do not know they have become part of a flood zone.

In recent history we had three 500 year floods. Percentages tell us that most of us are never supposed to see one of these events.

For my house I would be fine with an outside, whole house, generator. I sit on the top of a small hill. The waters would have to be 50 to 100 feet deep in the valleys surrounding our house. It isn't only that; but the elevation quickly drops off and everything would quickly continue downhill. Years ago I bought a 6,000 watt portable generator. I hook it up for heat and hot/cold water in prolonged events. I could care less about our refrigerator and lights until the event is over. If it went on for weeks then I would worry.

Many of our trees have been weakened by invasive pest and we have an new one poised to do even more damage. There is another problem with our telephone companies that no longer care about hard lines and TV/internet companies that are getting more competition from satellite companies. Our light companies are left picking up the bill. In the future there will probably be more and longer outages. So there is a chance that I will get the whole house system in the future.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Sometimes it seems that way. As for me, I tend to enjoy displays of very unique personalties as long as some brains are backing it up. Boredom is one of my adversaries. Challenging to escape boredom with limited funds at times.

One of the worst thing about American life in 2018 is all the special snowflakes and dewdrops who get so offended by facts and opinions. Facts are quite literally illegal these days.
I enjoy exchange of ideas, and realistic angles to solve problems. Even if they are a bit outside the box. But he has shown himself to be openly hostile to everything I stand for, and almost every rational idea presented. He presents himself as independently wealthy and in a fully self sufficient position. Good for him, but I have my doubts, and wonder if he is blowing smoke.

If he is as well heeled as he puts on, good for him. Wonder what he will do with his wealth when the Grim Reaper comes calling. My pastor just came into ownership of a whole barn full of treasures where the owner died, and his offspring cared nothing for any of it and sold it dirt cheap.

Quote:
In recent history we had three 500 year floods. Percentages tell us that most of us are never supposed to see one of these events.
The percentage only applies to a specific area, so, in theory .2% of the nation could have a 500 year flood event every year.

Quote:
For my house I would be fine with an outside, whole house, generator. I sit on the top of a small hill. The waters would have to be 50 to 100 feet deep in the valleys surrounding our house. It isn't only that; but the elevation quickly drops off and everything would quickly continue downhill. Years ago I bought a 6,000 watt portable generator. I hook it up for heat and hot/cold water in prolonged events. I could care less about our refrigerator and lights until the event is over. If it went on for weeks then I would worry.
One of the things I researched before I bought a house 20 years ago was flood. I also looked into tornadoes and hurricanes. But I neglected the aftermath of EMP. I was literally 400 feet above and 30 miles from a reliable water source. And in an area with over 400 people per sq mile.

Now I am still flood proof, in another area doesn't often get severe weather, but there are other hazards.
But I am within half mile of a reliable water source.

I don't have any problem with prolonged cold here. Prolonged heat is a different matter, so I plan on having a generator to run a refrigerator, and charge some batteries. But that means I only have to run it for half an hour every couple of hours, so my fuel should last a while.

Quote:
Many of our trees have been weakened by invasive pest and we have an new one poised to do even more damage. There is another problem with our telephone companies that no longer care about hard lines and TV/internet companies that are getting more competition from satellite companies. Our light companies are left picking up the bill. In the future there will probably be more and longer outages. So there is a chance that I will get the whole house system in the future.
Yeah, I got those problems, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness