Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 10:46 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times

Advertisements

We are out in the boonies.
Kinda way out.
I received my ccpp a while ago.
My daughter is moving into our rural home by herself and help is not close by.
She is a gun girl.
Knows firearms well and will be receiving her carry concealed pistol permit shortly.
We are not people that like to tote pistols where ever we go but yet don’t want to break any laws.
She will apply for her permit this week and it will take about 60 days to be official.
Only thinking about being compliant to laws .
I kinda want to know how to make this better.
I’m going to hook her up with a bio metric gun safe on the side of her bed.
Possibly giveing her several option.
How can I make this better?
She has done several firearms safety classes.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:41 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Kinda way out.
She is a gun girl.
Knows firearms well and will be receiving her carry concealed pistol permit shortly.
We are not people that like to tote pistols where ever we go but yet don’t want to break any laws.
She will apply for her permit this week and it will take about 60 days to be official.
Thanks.
Andy.
I, obviously, don’t know your state and its laws but it sounds like you’re doing things properly. Most states permit open carry while on your own property. So, if she’s worried about safety while on her own property, she could probably openly carry the whole while. As soon as she crosses that property line though, everything changes. You should check with a local range, state police barracks, etc. about your state and local laws.

Regarding lock box type safes, I have a couple Ft. Knox ones that I like because they use a Simplex type lock, no batteries but still fast and requires a combination of button pushes. There are also some very cool pieces of furniture (mirrors, shelves, etc) that are designed to conceal a quickly accessible firearm.

Good luck with her permit....must be nice. Here in Maryland, I can only wish.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Kinda way out.
She is a gun girl.
Thanks.
Andy.
Why does she need a carry permit in her own house? Why does the gun need to be in a safe when she is home? Is obeying an unconstitutional law more important than her safety?

Old 06-29-2019, 02:30 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I personally would never keep my personal protection locked in an electronic biometric safe that's prone to delay and failure should I ever happen to need it immediately. I'd consider a law requiring me to do so unconstitutional and violating my 2nd amendment and private property rights and would not comply with it.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:41 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
In most states (maybe not yours), you can carry in your home or business without a permit. It's only when you leave your own home or your own business, that you need a permit to carry.

If your daughter does not have any children of mentally disabled people in her household, why bother locking up the gun? Again, your state may require it, but otherwise it's just an annoying and unnecessary hassle.

They are trying to frustrate the p*ss out of people, and deter or delay them from using their own firearms. The laws are bad enough...don't add any that aren't there!

Old 06-30-2019, 04:19 AM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Good for her. She is making a smart decision to arm herself instead of just criminals and criminals with badges (who enforce abusive gun control laws, drug laws, infringe on free speech in Europe, and violate right to body and property and who will be the first to blindly follower orders) being armed.

She should be carrying everywhere as much as possible. Just make sure she has a gun she is comfortable carrying and she has to decide how she wants to carry it. There are specially designed purses for that or ones that can be attached inside a regular purse. She can also carry in her waist or leg if she wears jeans. I would suggest that she does keep it concealed as even though in some states open carry is permitted it is best not to draw attention to oneself. She just needs to decide what gun is the most comfortable to carry for day to day life and this is where the revolver vs semi comes in and glocks or guns with true safeties (my preference).

She doesn’t have to lock it in a safe when she is home unless there are kids in the house. She should treat her life with concealed carry as she would without it. Don’t go to bad areas she didn’t go to before. Don’t take more risks than she did before. Thankfully though she has a means to defend herself.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:47 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why does she need a carry permit in her own house? Why does the gun need to be in a safe when she is home? Is obeying an unconstitutional law more important than her safety?
Depends on the state.

For example, I live behind enemy lines in the people's republic of New York.

It is illegal to own any pistol until you have a pistol lisence. Literally i couldn't even go to a store and hold or touch a pistol until I had my license. (the license process took a year, and a few hundred dollars but that's a separate discussion).

NY only issues conceal carry permits. No open carry in the state.

My point is, gun laws vary widely from state to state.

Shockingly, once you actually get a pistol licence in NY you have a ton of freedom. The only places I can't "legally" carry are schools and government property. "No gun signs" in NY essentially don't carry any weight and I don't have to follow them (unless I am spotted Carrying and the business representative asks my to leave if I don't then I am a trespasser).

But more than anything you need to learn your state specific laws. Hopefully you live in a constitutional carry state with strong gun rights.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
So happy In Wyoming.
You are right it is an unconstitutional law.
She needs a license to not be in violation driving to the property.
Biometric was the wrong phrase though.
I have a little one full size pistol safe that takes a combination after you rest your hand on it.
She has several friends in this area that have toddlers, not to mention her friends from CA that might visit with kids.
she currently has several pistols.
Keeping one on her descretely is the best plan in this seemingly safe but extreme rural place.
We are several miles into an unincorporated area that is near a town of 100 people

Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
So happy In Wyoming.
You are right it is an unconstitutional law.
She needs a license to not be in violation driving to the property.
Biometric was the wrong phrase though.
I have a little one full size pistol safe that takes a combination after you rest your hand on it.
She has several friends in this area that have toddlers, not to mention her friends from CA that might visit with kids.
she currently has several pistols.
Keeping one on her descretely is the best plan in this seemingly safe but extreme rural place.
We are several miles into an unincorporated area that is near a town of 100 people

If you are safely carrying (a proper safe holster) and are a responsible gun owner, then carrying on your person is extremely safe. Especially if it's concealed and no one else knows she is carrying.

My wife usually doesn't know I'm carrying (she assumed but sometimes forgets) unless she hugs me and notices. My friends who are not into guns themselves I don't even tell them I carry they don't need to know.

You never know when you will need (hopefully never) to defend yourself or need a gun and the best place is to have it with you under your direct control.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:50 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I don't understand what you are trying to "make better."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness