Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 08:31 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

I'm a petite woman who works in the Alaska wilderness and I need to order a pepper gel for my next work trip. Although I am reasonably proficient with guns and would rather take my 9mm, my company regulations prohibit carrying firearms. So this is the next best thing. I read that pepper gel is superior to pepper spray since there is less blowback in windy conditions, but there are a dizzying array of types to choose from. I need a gel that fits in a pocket and is easy to use but is not prone to accidental discharge. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on these products? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:54 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm a petite woman who works in the Alaska wilderness and I need to order a pepper gel for my next work trip. Although I am reasonably proficient with guns and would rather take my 9mm, my company regulations prohibit carrying firearms. So this is the next best thing. I read that pepper gel is superior to pepper spray since there is less blowback in windy conditions, but there are a dizzying array of types to choose from. I need a gel that fits in a pocket and is easy to use but is not prone to accidental discharge. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on these products? Thanks.
I haven't used the gel, I used to sell the regular spray. Look for the highest percentage of capsaicin, at least 14%. Get the big canister too. The bears will sometimes make multiple charges, the small convenient containers run out too fast.

In bear country, your best defense is paying attention. You never want the wind in your face because then the bears can't smell you coming and get out of the way.

Always look for sign. Bear manure in the trail, ripped up logs or ground, busted branches, tracks, fur caught on branches, and use your nose. Bears stink. You can smell them sometimes before you can see them.

Make noise when you walk. Sing, talk loudly to yourself, whistle, hit bushes and trees with your walking stick, anything that will let the bear know you're coming. There are bells you can wear for this purpose, but I'd reccomend a coaches whistle. Very loud. Stay away from perfumes. They can act as an attractor.

Bear spray works, but avoiding situations where you'd need to deploy it is better.

In a second note, a 9mm works ok on humans, but it just makes grizzly mad. Pistols are of limited value in bear country, a shotgun is a much better option, pump, loaded with slugs, at least 12 gauge. If you want a pistol, make it at least a 45 Long Colt, a 454 casull is better, but not if you can't comfortably shoot it.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
OP didn't say the OC was for bears.

If shopping for bear spray then I would get bear spray. The problem with gels is that they hit a very small target. That is very hard to hit on bear that is far from you and moving fast and you don't want it to be able to close the distance. A person's face is easier to hit with gel spray than a bear because it will probably be a lot closer when you use it. If you are using the gel you might want to watch some videos on youtube on how to use it correctly. Because it doesn't broadcast a spray like the others it takes a little practice to get it right, or next best thing watch videos of others using it. The other disadvantage to gels is that it doesn't aerosol, which is why it doesn't "blow back". This can also be a disadvantage because you can apparently miss a target with OC spray and their eyes and skin are unaffected but then they catch of breath of it and it's like getting the wind punched out of them. Hard to attack something if you can't breathe. You can avoid being on the receiving end of that while using the spray by holding your breath.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:48 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
OP, what company in Alaska won’t allow you a gun for protection? Especially in the wilderness? Are you rural Alaska, bush Alaska, or just wilderness?

Are you wanting that gel for humans or critters?
9mm is better than nothing. 10mm or 40 cal is fine too. As is a 357 or a 44. Being petite I recommend knowing what you can shoot comfortably. 12ga is hard to beat, and a 20ga would be fine as well. Even a 410 with slugs.

When you mention the wilderness, are you south central? Interior, Arctic, south west, southeast? Each area presents its own bear issues and human issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness